What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on May 30, 2019, 02:10:11 PM
Quote from: Maladict on May 30, 2019, 01:55:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 29, 2019, 09:08:48 PM
White House asks the Navy to move the USS John McCain "out of sight" during Trump's visit to Japan. ::lol:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/white-house-wanted-uss-john-mccain-out-of-sight-during-trump-japan-visit-11559173470

Just the thought of a CVN named USS Trump  :x

Every President between FDR and GHWB has a ship named after them (even the short-term President Ford), so it isn't that hard a stretch to believe in a USS Donald J Trump.

It'll depend on what Congressional Republicans think of his legacy however.

99% sure that Nixon didn't get a ship named after him despite being a Commander in the Navy during WWII.

Anyways, that is not important. Trump just put a gun to the economy's head. We can only hope this is one of those situations where he says he plans to do something outrageous and then just forgets about it, because if not then the North American economy is fucked
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/31/trump-says-us-will-impose-5percent-tariff-on-all-mexican-imports-from-june-10.html
QuoteTo address the emergency at the Southern Border, I am invoking the authorities granted to me by the International Emergency Economic Powers Act. Accordingly, starting on June 10, 2019, the United States will impose a 5 percent Tariff on all goods imported from Mexico. If the illegal migration crisis is alleviated through effective actions taken by Mexico, to be determined in our sole discretion and judgment, the Tariffs will be removed. If the crisis persists, however, the Tariffs will be raised to 10 percent on July 1, 2019. Similarly, if Mexico still has not taken action to dramatically reduce or eliminate the number of illegal aliens crossing its territory into the United States, Tariffs will be increased to 15 percent on August 1, 2019, to 20 percent on September 1, 2019, and to 25 percent on October 1, 2019. Tariffs will permanently remain at the 25 percent level unless and until Mexico substantially stops the illegal inflow of aliens coming through its territory. Workers who come to our country through the legal admissions process, including those working on farms, ranches, and in other businesses, will be allowed easy passage.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

We get more stuff from China than Mexico.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 30, 2019, 08:12:01 PM

The difference is not that large, and we export more to them than we do to China and they will surely institute retaliatory tariffs in turn.

Moreover a lot of industrial supply lines will be completely fucked over since they rely on factories just over the border.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_trading_partners_of_the_United_States
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 30, 2019, 08:12:01 PM

Don't worry. We have a trade war with China to.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 30, 2019, 08:16:48 PM
Oh. It's all good then.

Probably not, but he already put tariffs on China. What's the point of "putting a gun to the economy's head" if it's already bleeding out?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 30, 2019, 07:48:52 PM

QuoteTo address the emergency at the Southern Border, I am invoking the authorities granted to me by the International Emergency Economic Powers Act. Accordingly, starting on June 10, 2019, the United States will impose a 5 percent Tariff on all goods imported from Mexico. If the illegal migration crisis is alleviated through effective actions taken by Mexico, to be determined in our sole discretion and judgment, the Tariffs will be removed. If the crisis persists, however, the Tariffs will be raised to 10 percent on July 1, 2019. Similarly, if Mexico still has not taken action to dramatically reduce or eliminate the number of illegal aliens crossing its territory into the United States, Tariffs will be increased to 15 percent on August 1, 2019, to 20 percent on September 1, 2019, and to 25 percent on October 1, 2019. Tariffs will permanently remain at the 25 percent level unless and until Mexico substantially stops the illegal inflow of aliens coming through its territory. Workers who come to our country through the legal admissions process, including those working on farms, ranches, and in other businesses, will be allowed easy passage.

Wasn't an attempt at economic autarky a key feature of nazi germany before the war?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Didn't Trump just sign a free trade agreement with Mexico just a few months ago? :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

There's no way they would sacrifice Arizona or even Texas in 2020. Donald will declare victory a day before the initial tariff takes effect after some vague assurances from Mexico. We've seen this sort movie before, folks.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on May 30, 2019, 09:01:38 PM
Didn't Trump just sign a free trade agreement with Mexico just a few months ago? :hmm:

yes but Mueller said nasty things and a diversion was quickly needed.

Maladict

I trust the British people will do what is expected of them :bowler:

Liep

Quote from: Maladict on June 03, 2019, 04:20:36 AM
I trust the British people will do what is expected of them :bowler:

Does that involve milkshake?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Maladict

Quote from: Liep on June 03, 2019, 05:01:41 AM

Does that involve milkshake?

Definitely. Would that be a first for a US president?

Zanza

A German colleague of mine said she thinks Trump's economic  policies are great and help American workers. I disagreed but she just dismissed my arguments why it won't work and he will not reinvigorate e.g. Detroit. I then pointed out to her that she works on a temporary contract in the German automotive industry and would be the first to personally feel the effects if Trump really enacts his "national security" tariffs on German cars. Pretty sure she would then not get her contract prolonged. That made her think a bit.

I think that was my first personal encounter with someone in favour of Trumps economic policies and I found it interesting how she parroted "America First" and believed in trickle down tax cuts and so on. Very unusual in Germany.

viper37

Quote from: Zanza on June 03, 2019, 08:16:34 AM
I think that was my first personal encounter with someone in favour of Trumps economic policies and I found it interesting how she parroted "America First" and believed in trickle down tax cuts and so on. Very unusual in Germany.
not so unusual in Quebec, not anymore.  I got tired of arguing with these morons.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.