And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 25, 2019, 01:19:19 PM
Isn't that the default for the 4th of July...? :huh:

Prez doesn't give a speech, AFAIK.  It's been delightfully apolitical the times I've gone.

Zoupa

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 25, 2019, 12:02:59 PM
An insightful article that seeks to explain how a Republican like Graham adapts to a President like Trump.

The question I wish had been better explored though is Graham's ethical and policy boundaries he will not cross (if any) as he pursues his Realpolitik approach.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/25/magazine/lindsey-graham-what-happened-trump.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

I've lost all respect for Graham. He used to have SOME principles.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Trump is asked about how long his memorandum of understanding with China would stand. "Not a fan of MOUs, would rather have a binding agreement, MOUs don't mean anything."

He gets schooled by Lighthizer what an MOU is. And then Trump tells Lighthizer he's wrong.

It's really painful to watch:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1099828279417204736

:bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Trump thinks everything is like a RE deal.  It's true that in real estate an MoU is usually a placeholder agreement and typically specific clauses are put in to disclaim being bound.  But that meaning does not necessarily carry over to every context, such as international trade negotiations.  Again, one of the reasons business experience does not directly translate into government service.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

The amazing part of that clip is the way Littlefinger just tells everyone Trump is clueless.

Valmy

That weird Chinese emigre paper, the Epoch Times, has one of those newspaper vending boxes near my office and I often laugh about how every time Trump takes a shit they pronounce it genius. I expect a headline saying "In Landmark and Passionate Statement Trump Refuses to be Fooled by Xi Regime" in response to this incident.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

The Chinese Chief negotiator actually laughed out loud at Trump. In the Oval Office.   :wacko:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Iormlund on February 26, 2019, 04:10:59 PM
The Chinese Chief negotiator actually laughed out loud at Trump. In the Oval Office.   :wacko:

I hadn't noticed that the first time I saw it, the Chinese are sitting there saying to themselves, "I can't believe how easy this has become" as they make a note to further play to Trump's need to contradict his own experts.

Razgovory

The house just voted to overturn Trump's National emergency.  The bill will go to the Senate where it has an uncertain future.  This rightly scares a lot of Republicans.  Trump won't be President forever and they don't want to gift this power to President Sanders or President Harris.  I think there is a good chance the senate will vote the way of the House.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 26, 2019, 08:01:58 PM
The house just voted to overturn Trump's National emergency.  The bill will go to the Senate where it has an uncertain future.  This rightly scares a lot of Republicans.  Trump won't be President forever and they don't want to gift this power to President Sanders or President Harris.  I think there is a good chance the senate will vote the way of the House.

If Congress had that kind of long term thinking we would probably not be in the Constitutional situation we are in.

We'll see what happens.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2019, 08:03:53 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 26, 2019, 08:01:58 PM

If Congress had that kind of long term thinking we would probably not be in the Constitutional situation we are in.

We'll see what happens.

I expect they will vote according to what they think will get them re-elected.  I agree that the calculations Raz suggested with be the reason given by those who vote overturn.  But the real reason will be their polling data.  For the same reason there is no chance there will be enough Republican votes to deal with the inevitable presidential veto.

Razgovory

Honestly, I would like to see Congress expand it's power at the expense of the President.  I think it might calm down rhetoric if Congress is forced to govern.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on February 26, 2019, 09:50:44 PM
Honestly, I would like to see Congress expand it's power at the expense of the President. 

That is likely what the drafters of your constitution had in mind.

Valmy

The Founders thought the Congress would crave power. In practice it seems eager to pass responsibility to the President than make tough decisions.

Remember it was "Obamacare" not "Pelosicare"