Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 23, 2018, 10:19:34 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 23, 2018, 09:14:14 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on September 23, 2018, 09:11:09 PM
This Avennati guy, lawyer for Stormy Daniels and supposedly in the hunt for 2020, said on Twitter he has evidence that Kav and his buddy Judge, along with others in that part of the DC suburbs, rain trains on women at many parties, and then posted his correspondence with Senate Judiciary Committee.

Avennati is a weirdo.  I don't understand exactly how he is able to put himself at the center of all this stuff.

He's a narcissist like Trump, but actually competent at his profession. That doesn't mean he'd be competent at governing.

Trump was a passable reality TV host.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 23, 2018, 10:35:37 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 23, 2018, 10:29:12 PM
Avenatti is as credible to me as Trump was c. 2015

Is that a response to me saying he's competent as a lawyer?

He definitely seems to be better at law than Trump was at real estate. He's won some big cases.

I am sure there are many great lawyers out there who have won many big cases...but few of them are credibly presidential candidates.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2018, 12:46:32 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 23, 2018, 10:35:37 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 23, 2018, 10:29:12 PM
Avenatti is as credible to me as Trump was c. 2015

Is that a response to me saying he's competent as a lawyer?

He definitely seems to be better at law than Trump was at real estate. He's won some big cases.

I am sure there are many great lawyers out there who have won many big cases...but few of them are credibly presidential candidates.

Ah, I thought he meant credible as in believable, not credible as in a credible candidate. We don't disagree then
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOq8cUTKqCk

2nd woman from Kavanaugh's freshman year at Yale that Biscuit alluded to.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 23, 2018, 09:19:31 PM
Nothing wrong with running trains long as everyone is consenting.

Not if the girl is underage.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Avenatti has been very effective for Daniels, I'm not familiar with his other work. On paper, Daniels was a loser case, but Avenatti saw an angle to play and exploited it well.  Got an excellent result for his client.

On the other hand the break up of his old firm seems to have been very messy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 24, 2018, 09:20:48 AM
Avenatti has been very effective for Daniels, I'm not familiar with his other work. On paper, Daniels was a loser case, but Avenatti saw an angle to play and exploited it well.  Got an excellent result for his client.

On the other hand the break up of his old firm seems to have been very messy.

Beat the NFL in one case. Won a $454 million judgement in another case.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Avenatti#Career
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Anyways 4th woman surfaces

Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh faces more allegations
Montgomery County investigators confirmed Monday they're aware of a potential second sexual assault complaint in the county against former Georgetown Prep student and Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

While investigators weren't specific and spoke on background, they said they are looking at allegations against Kavanaugh during his senior year in high school after an anonymous witness came forward this weekend.

This would potentially bring the number to four women accusing Kavanaugh of wrongdoing and comes after Deborah Ramirez, a former Yale college student, stepped forward this weekend to accuse Kavanaugh of exposing himself to her in college, and after attorney Michael Avenatti tweeted out a message saying he represents a woman with "credible information regarding Judge Kavanaugh and Mark Judge."

1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

I guess that most versatile Trump quote fits:
"When the Republicans nominate judges, they're not nominating their best. They're nominating people that have a lot of problems, and they're bringing those problems with them. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people." :P

mongers

It must be exhausting being Trump, not because of the pressures of the presidency, but for choosing to live in a social media and op.ed. news channels bubble.

See his tweets about the oil price and what the Arab allies should be doing, say vs Putin's dealing with Opec in Algeria yesterday.   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

They're probably going to ram him through at their own electoral expense because of this.

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/brett-kavanaugh-is-a-man-the-right-can-get-behind-1829225731

QuoteBrett Kavanaugh Is A Man The Right Can Get Behind

by Albert Burneko

Shit's real weird now.

A thing it took, like, the New York Times and Washington Post and CNN and so forth maybe a little too long to figure out, back during the 2016 campaigns, a lapse that has launched innumerable blinkered Cletus Safaris in search of some other, less chillingly sociopathic answer in the aftermath of that hell-moment, is this: What the American right wants, what it's after, isn't some abstract pluralist success, like the smooth functioning of government and/or the material improvement of American life. It wants, only and entirely, to defeat its opponents. Those aren't quite the same thing. The Republican party would not choose the former if it could be accomplished without the latter.

An example: Any number of grub-like Yale jurist-ghouls with diamond-edged '80s-dad hair and uniformly right-wing ideas about constitutional law could get confirmed to fill the Supreme Court's vacant ninth seat, and once in that seat could be counted upon to plagiarize Anton Chigurh dialog into incumbent legal precedence for the next three decades. The earth contains no shortage of these. And so, in the aftermath of the discovery that Brett Kavanaugh, the one Donald Trump happened to nominate for the gig, quite likely attempted to rape a 15-year-old girl in the summer of 1982 (and, perhaps less important though no less relevant, almost certainly lied to the Senate about the use of stolen materials to aid George W. Bush's judicial nominees) and has been living comfortably with this fact about himself for the ensuing 36 years, it should be easy enough to withdraw his nomination and move along to the next crypto-Nazi cottage cheese sculpture in the pipeline. He'd breeze through confirmation, whoever he was: You could pretty much count on the Senate Judiciary Committee's terminally third-brained centrist Democrats lining up to play themselves. And that would be a success, theoretically: A new, arch-conservative Supreme Court justice, possibly even one not tainted by a credible accusation that he once tried to rape a child.

But that would not be enough. It has to be this guy. It has to be this guy now more than ever. It has to be this guy, now, because he has been accused, credibly, of attempting to rape a 15-year-old girl in 1982—moreover because people believe this should be considered a disqualifying blight on his record. The thing that must happen is that those people must be defeated. That is the whole point. What must be shown to the whole world is that this, even this, cannot stop him. The bigger the outrage that can be brushed aside, the more thorough the defeat for the people who thought something, anything, might take precedence over this white man being the pick of another white man.

And so, in a single whirlwind week—or maybe less, time moves weird in the hell dimension and it's easy to lose track—the Republican party and its mouthpieces have been happy bordering on gleeful to shuffle through increasingly absurd and contradictory defenses of Kavanaugh. From He didn't do it to Okay yeah he did it but that was 36 years ago to Yeah he did what the accuser describes but that's just rough horseplay between kids to C'mon, who among us hasn't ever tried to rape a 15-year-old to Actually this other guy is the one who did it to, at its absolute nadir this morning, when the president of the United States, the unrepentant pussy-grabber himself, tweeted the following:

Quote from: Donald J. TrumpI have no doubt that, if the attack on Dr. Ford was as bad as she says, charges would have been immediately filed with local Law Enforcement Authorities by either her or her loving parents. I ask that she bring those filings forward so that we can learn  date, time, and place!

10:14 PM - Sep 21, 2018

If she did not file a police report, she cannot have been sexually assaulted. So says the President of the United States, where, by the most conservative credible estimates, something like two-thirds of all sexual assaults are never reported to police.

The important thing to note is: Nobody, nobody, believes a single one of these defenses, most likely not even the people offering them. Believing any of them would defeat the point of the exercise, which is to demonstrate that it doesn't matter, to put this son of a bitch across with a completely unhidden sneer, to say all but explicitly We know he did this, you know he did this, everyone knows he did this, and you couldn't stop us anyway. The wild variety and complete inconsistency of all these defenses aren't bugs; they're features.

It's a bit late for anyone not to have figured this out yet, but the skeleton key to understanding American conservatism is this: At bottom, it lacks absolutely any moral or ideological underpinning beyond the reactionary protection of moneyed white men—of their station, their wealth and power, and their egos. Its supposed ideas and abstractions are just a framework for spasmodic lashing-out against anything that can be interpreted as a threat to rich white dudes. It likes supply-side economics because the supply side is made of rich white dudes. It likes tax cuts because the taxes are mostly cut for rich white dudes. It likes cops and soldiers because cops and soldiers uphold a social order with rich white dudes at the top. It likes "traditional family values" because social, economic, and sexual dominion over women are the most traditional family values of all. It likes "Make America Great Again" because rich white dudes used to roll through society and over everyone else with even greater impunity than they do now. All of these things are just proxies for reiterating, over and over and over, forever, the power and security and primacy of rich white dudes.

Once upon a time, yeah, some American president might have performed the empty noblesse oblige–ass theater of withdrawing a judicial nominee who'd become as toxic and controversial as Brett Kavanaugh, whose nomination had turned into a referendum on the political parties' respective views on something as grave and awful as sexual assault. So it's fine to point out that things are different, now, if only on their surface; it's fine to chart out, if you wish, the moral and intellectual decay whereby the American right eventually dropped all its pretenses and became, straight out, the Neener Neener Neener You Can't Stop Us movement; it's fine to observe that this happening subsequent to America's first non-white president and first non-male major-party presidential nominee is no coincidence at all, but very specifically a vengeful tantrum by a shrinking class of wounded bullies eager to reassert by force and at all costs their hold on society's controls.

But first, the thing to do is to describe it accurately. When they eventually ram Kavanaugh through, and they will, it won't be despite all of this. It will be because of it.

1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Tim is that first paragraph the dawn of post-journalism?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 24, 2018, 07:13:22 PM
They're probably going to ram him through at their own electoral expense because of this.
It's probably worth it.  In the long run, GOP electoral fortunes depend a lot more on Supreme Court decisions than they do on the sentiment of the voters.

jimmy olsen

Bret's college room mate believes the 2nd accuser.

https://twitter.com/PeterKauffmann/status/1044384650767020033

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Meanwhile, Bret goes with the Seymour Skinner defense  :lol:

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1044344858926821381
Quote from: Dave Itzkoffi know i say this all the time but:
this is literally from the simpsons. literally.

In new excerpt from Fox interview, Kavanaugh says he was a virgin in high school and "many years thereafter."

1 Karma Chameleon point