And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on July 31, 2018, 12:29:35 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 31, 2018, 08:44:09 AM
And even if it isn't it's the polite thing to do.

meowtf?
It means you act in a way that avoids making other people feel bad, even if you have to be dishonest a little.  I'm sure you've encountered the concept outside of Languish at some point, though maybe you didn't realize that's what it was.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 31, 2018, 12:56:08 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 31, 2018, 12:29:35 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 31, 2018, 08:44:09 AM
And even if it isn't it's the polite thing to do.

meowtf?
It means you act in a way that avoids making other people feel bad, even if you have to be dishonest a little.  I'm sure you've encountered the concept outside of Languish at some point, though maybe you didn't realize that's what it was.

What was confusing was the notion of being polite on Languish. But then I can see that the notion of being polite when explaining what it means to be polite is a foreign concept to you, so all good. :cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: DGuller on July 31, 2018, 07:22:42 AM
Isn't it so obvious that people mean "per person" that it goes without saying, and in fact saying it is just adding clutter to conversation?

The problem is, some people through a desire to obfuscate, and others through ignorance, will miss-use stats, so there's a need to be specific if data is raw totals or per capita totals.

Of course, nowadays, folks who want to mislead others increasingly won't bother to miss-use actual, accurate statistical information, since they can just make up numbers and people will accept them.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Solmyr

Tamas

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 31, 2018, 10:01:08 PM
Disgusting

https://www.vox.com/2018/7/29/17627134/income-inequality-chart

It might be worth noting that in Western Europe it is often claimed that the 1%'s share of wealth is unbearable and must be eliminated pronto.

mongers

Odd y-axis range choices there.  :hmm:

Why not start at 0% on both graphs?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on August 01, 2018, 08:19:16 AM

Here's the original source but it doesn't say why they've used those.

https://wir2018.wid.world/files/download/wir2018-summary-english.pdf
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Looks like they fit to the max and min on each graph.

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on August 01, 2018, 08:19:16 AM

That's an old tactic designed to maximize the delta.  It is generally considered at least slightly dishonest, especially when, as in this case, two things to be compared don't even share the same Y axis values.

The funny thing is that the same conclusions would be drawn from these graphs if they were honestly presented.  Some people can't resist gilding the lily, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

To be fair, while playing with the y-axis is often a deliberate attempt to be misleading, there are legitimate reasons to do so.  You don't want any dead space in the plots, you want to accentuate the plots on what is being displayed.  A lot of statistical software also automatically determines minimum and maximum axis values from the data points, precisely for that purpose.

Berkut

Yeah, I don't see this as being dishonest - the axis is very clearly labeled, and the message is clear as well, and not misleading.

It is certainly possible to be pretty dishonest with that, but I don't think this is an example.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Oexmelin

Apparently, Manafort paid for his suits (all 930,000$ worth of them) via wires on foreign accounts...
Que le grand cric me croque !

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point