What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 27, 2018, 07:32:32 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2018, 01:15:32 AM
I think I've giving up caring what Trump supporters think. It is clear there are either incredibly self-serving or unreachable by any sense of rational dialogue.

There was a time when you cared?

Of course, you should always try to build a dialogue where possible.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 27, 2018, 07:32:32 AM
I think I've giving up caring what Trump supporters think. It is clear there are either incredibly self-serving or unreachable by any sense of rational dialogue.

There was a time when you cared?

At one point I was big on trying to have conversations with them out there on the internet. But it quickly became pretty obvious I would either be ignored if I said something that did not fit their context or would be put into some pre-selected box of theirs if I did. This is not unique to Trump supporters but man I have rarely seen it worse.

So I just have to hope that at some point they get disillusioned. It happens to anybody who is a big fan of a politician in this country eventually I think.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Jim Jones supporters never got disillusioned.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on July 27, 2018, 09:54:39 AM
Jim Jones supporters never got disillusioned.

Well, there were those few who decided not to drink the cool aid after all.  So there is still some glimmer of hope for the GOP.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

If that statement is in response to Eddie Teach's post about the Iranian general's tweets, he wasn't talking about Trump supporters--he was talking about normal Americans.

On your point, though, I generally agree.  I don't understand why people support President Trump.  I understand why people might support some of the policies he's identified with (I still say he doesn't really have policies, just whims), but there are public figures who support those positions without Trump's moral, ethical, and intellectual bankruptcy, so I don't see why people support him instead of someone else who advocates similar positions.

I think a lot of Trump's support during the 2018 election was more-or-less a matter of people chosing to make a protest vote, and I can kind of understand it on that level, but it doesn't explain why people continue to support the man.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 27, 2018, 08:48:31 AM
At one point I was big on trying to have conversations with them out there on the internet.

Probably not the best way to do it, unless you really know the person.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: dps on July 27, 2018, 10:42:12 AM
I think a lot of Trump's support during the 2018 election was more-or-less a matter of people chosing to make a protest vote, and I can kind of understand it on that level, but it doesn't explain why people continue to support the man.

From conversations I've had or overheard recently (as in post-Helsinki), it sounds like it's mainly the tribes thing.  Trump supporters are circling the wagons at this point-- press is out to get Trump, economy is doing well so everyone should shut up about him, etc.  They don't dwell on it, though.  They'd rather talk about other things.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Gigantic 4% quarter growth number announced.  Trade deficit falls by 50 billion.  Trumpistas exult, sane people lament.

Half that trade number was due to massive soybean purchases by China ahead of impending tariffs.

NPR

Legbiter

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 27, 2018, 06:24:21 PM
Gigantic 4% quarter growth number announced.  Trade deficit falls by 50 billion.  Trumpistas exult, sane people lament.

Half that trade number was due to massive soybean purchases by China ahead of impending tariffs.

NPR

Good job Yanks. :thumbsup:

Boy, all those hobos murdered and processed into pemmican by the pundits. Yet, here is the world, pretty much the same as last week.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Yeah the economy is going great. Hopefully we can get this idiot out of office before his shitty policies fuck that up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Legbiter on July 27, 2018, 06:34:42 PM
Yet, here is the world, pretty much the same as last week.

Agreed.  Given all the things he has done to screw up the world prior to last week, I would say that this week is pretty much like last week.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 27, 2018, 06:24:21 PM
Gigantic 4% quarter growth number announced. 

Trump actually said its "historic"
4% is spiffy but back in the ancient days of 2014 we had two straight quarters higher than that, including one Q over 5 percent.

QuoteTrade deficit falls by 50 billion.
The trade deficit is down over the last 3 months, but the overall context is that the trade deficit shot way up in 2017, presumably in response to loose fiscal and tightish monetary policy.  So if the reduction holds, it just brings the trade deficit back to around where it was when Trump took over.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 28, 2018, 01:33:48 PM
Trump actually said its "historic"
4% is spiffy but back in the ancient days of 2014 we had two straight quarters higher than that, including one Q over 5 percent.

But that was back when the true unemployment was really high.