And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 11, 2018, 02:05:15 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 11, 2018, 01:30:29 PM
From what I understand, his behaviour played well with significant groups of his voters who saw him as "dominating the room"

Yeah he dominated the room all right.  Like a 2 year old throwing his dinner on the floor dominates the room.

I don't disagree, but then again I'm not one of his supporters.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on June 11, 2018, 02:04:49 PM
Another bit on Trump's negotiation philosophy (it's a FB link): https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156419572649621&set=pcb.10156419573609621&type=3&theater

In essence - Trump does not believe mutual benefit is possible in a deal. Either you're ripping someone off, or someone is ripping you off. Therefore he is very likely to reject a deal if the other party is content with it - even if the deal is to his benefit - since their acceptance signifies that they're ripping him off somehow.

I think it's pretty accurate. Combined with the on-again-off-again strategy, it describes and explains Trump's actions so far. fairly well I expect it will prove a reasonably accurate guide to his future actions as well.

Oh that's pretty common in the NY commercial RE world.  If you reach a deal, that is just the jumping off point to make more demands, try to bully the counter-party into re-trading some concessions to keep the deal alive.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Canadian response to allegations that Trudeau stabbed Trump in the back: https://youtu.be/b6eVNBlk3YY

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2018, 08:38:56 AM

I think it's a little more nuanced than that.  My take is that he is either cleverly or by pure chance tapping into some sentiments that have built up over the years amongst his supporters, such as a perception that the traditional media are strongly left biased, frustration at having been on the losing side in the Culture War, nobody really doing much to stop illegal immigration, etc.  These people finally have someone saying what's on their minds.  They don't care that he tends to say it in vulgar terms.  And they're certainly willing filter out all the other embarrassing things he's said & done. 

But are they fascist?  No.  They don't know what fascism is any more than Trump does.  You can pick out a few common aspects between Trump supporters and 1920s/30s supporters of Mussolini (I mentioned them with concern during the primaries).  But it's not nearly enough to legitimately call them fascists.

Fascist is DG's word.  It's not what I would use.  Authoritarian and racist fit better.  Yeah, I imagine that a lot people believe Trump is saying what they want to say but were afraid to do so.  They have a strong resentment towards blacks and Hispanics and Muslims know that they would face some sort of social sanction if they were open about their bigotries.  They like Trump's racism.  ICE torturing Hispanics, and cops shooting Blacks are not problems for them.  They are features.

It's true that the right doesn't know what fascism is.  You've had a decade where Conservative authors and opinion makers have been telling them that it's really a left-wing ideology.  So when actual fascists march through the streets in support of Trump they are at a loss of how to explain it.  They fall to blaming international Jewish bankers like George Soros.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

The policy of this administration, to the extent that it can be articulated, is closer to fascism then any another political ideology I can think of.  Chest-beating nationalism shot through with nativism.  A corporatist economic worldview emphasizing self-sufficiency in resources and industrial production and bilateralism in trade. Rhetorical populism and rabble-rousing. Militarist symbolism. Hostility to free speech and the press. Open hostility to liberal and democratic institutions, contempt for check-and-balance government.  Propagandistic communications style.  Promotion of conspiracy theories involving internal covert shadowy threats. Unpredictable and aggressive diplomatic strategy.

Trump doesn't seem to have a thing for uniforms.  He also doesn't have the gee-whiz futurism of Italian and German fascism.  But the policy mix is there.  It is much more restrained and less virulent that the 30s era fascist regimes, or even the postwar one in Spain and Argentina, but it is pretty clearly recognizable.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

So fascism without the sense of style?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 11, 2018, 12:26:21 PM
How was Jim Crow populist?  It wasn't a revolt of the masses against elite opinion.

To a great extent it was.  The southern elites weren't interested in things like segregating rail travel, because that made it difficult to have their servants travel with them.  Or put more generally (and less flippantly), the southern elites were mostly interested in maintaining their economic and social status;  while they were no doubt racist, to them, the mere physical presence of a black person didn't imply any sort of equality--they were, after all, used to having black servants around them.  Even if a particular black person wasn't their servant, well, clearly (in the world view of the southern elites), the black guy was a servant to, or a laborer for, some white person, and was just going about that white person's business as he had been told to do.  To lower class whites, though, lacking servants, didn't want blacks around them in public places unless those places were clearly divided on a racial basis, because to them, blacks being able to sit on the same seats as them on a train or at a ballpark implies a certain degree of equality.

Valmy

It was a successful ploy to defeat the populist/fusion political challenge to the Democratic Party in the 1890s. So I guess it could be seen as a populist move, to win over voters in the face of a populist challenge.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2018, 10:21:55 AM
American populism doesn't tend to sustain itself for very long.  It'll burn out sooner than most of you think.

Yeah I think it is doing the same here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on June 10, 2018, 10:37:09 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 10, 2018, 09:54:31 PM
You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

"Asshole?"  I'm pretty sure he knows what that means.  He has been around a lot of Longhorn fans...

So therefore I would be exposed to the petty insults of other assholish fanbases? Sadly yes :weep:

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2018, 10:21:55 AM
American populism doesn't tend to sustain itself for very long.  It'll burn out sooner than most of you think.

I hope you're right.

What sort of scenario are you thinking we'll see when the populism burns out?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 11, 2018, 12:50:44 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 11, 2018, 12:36:40 PM
The elite opinion was that black people should have rights, which the elites imposed by military force.

I'm sure members of the Southern elite would disagree with you.

The Southern Elite didn't have much of a say in 1866.  Jim Crow was part of the larger redeemer movement in the South.  The elites were in Washington.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on June 11, 2018, 05:12:50 PM
So therefore I would be exposed to the petty insults of other assholish fanbases? Sadly yes :weep:

:D
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

According to Trump's Twitter, Larry Kudlow had a heart attack. :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 11, 2018, 04:23:21 PM
The policy of this administration, to the extent that it can be articulated, is closer to fascism then any another political ideology I can think of.  Chest-beating nationalism shot through with nativism.  A corporatist economic worldview emphasizing self-sufficiency in resources and industrial production and bilateralism in trade. Rhetorical populism and rabble-rousing. Militarist symbolism. Hostility to free speech and the press. Open hostility to liberal and democratic institutions, contempt for check-and-balance government.  Propagandistic communications style.  Promotion of conspiracy theories involving internal covert shadowy threats. Unpredictable and aggressive diplomatic strategy.

Trump doesn't seem to have a thing for uniforms.  He also doesn't have the gee-whiz futurism of Italian and German fascism.  But the policy mix is there.  It is much more restrained and less virulent that the 30s era fascist regimes, or even the postwar one in Spain and Argentina, but it is pretty clearly recognizable.

The biggest omission is a adoration of the State.  I don't see that, and that's sort of a major factor.  There is a weird cult of personality going on though.