What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

So... who's not ready for Pence now?  :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 10, 2018, 11:12:16 PM
Stop talking crazy.

Could you you tell me what mental illness you are irritated with?  Please give it in the ICD code.  Or, you know, you could go fuck yourself.  Either one is good.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: DGuller on June 11, 2018, 12:31:40 AM
Quote from: dps on June 10, 2018, 08:24:33 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 10, 2018, 12:38:22 PM
35-40% of the population are openly fascist?  :huh:

Consider the source.  He pretty seems to consider anyone to the right of Mao a fascist.
I know you meant to put me down, but I think you tried too hard and owned yourself instead.  I consider die-hard supporters of someone openly espousing authoratian ideas to be fascists.  Very little to do with left-right, and a lot to do with not being an enabler by trying to find an innocent explanation for hostility to democratic norms.

President Trump doesn't openly espouse authoratian ideas.  He doesn't have a clue, much less any ideas;  he just has whims.  Is he hostile to democratic norms?  Yeah, but it's not due to any philosophical or ideological position, it's just that he doesn't care for any restraint on his own behaviour.

I still have no idea why anyone voted for the man, but I'm pretty sure that it's not because 35-40% of the electorate are fascists.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on June 11, 2018, 07:21:46 AM

Consider the source.  He pretty seems to consider anyone to the right of Mao a fascist.
I know you meant to put me down, but I think you tried too hard and owned yourself instead.  I consider die-hard supporters of someone openly espousing authoratian ideas to be fascists.  Very little to do with left-right, and a lot to do with not being an enabler by trying to find an innocent explanation for hostility to democratic norms.

President Trump doesn't openly espouse authoratian ideas.  He doesn't have a clue, much less any ideas;  he just has whims.  Is he hostile to democratic norms?  Yeah, but it's not due to any philosophical or ideological position, it's just that he doesn't care for any restraint on his own behaviour.

I still have no idea why anyone voted for the man, but I'm pretty sure that it's not because 35-40% of the electorate are fascists.

Authoritarianism isn't an ideology.  Trump screams out things like "Lugenpresse Fake News" and "Vrag Naroda Enemies of the American People" and his cult loves it.  I think that's something to worry about.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

He calls the free press the enemy of the people; he talks about "locking up" his political opposition; he attacks the judiciary; etc

And through all of that a troubling number of Americans continue to support him.  Are they all fascists?  Perhaps not, but they support a President who plays the part.

The Brain

Donald isn't worthy to unloose Benito's shoe latchet.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 11, 2018, 08:05:45 AM

He calls the free press the enemy of the people; he talks about "locking up" his political opposition; he attacks the judiciary; etc

And through all of that a troubling number of Americans continue to support him.  Are they all fascists?  Perhaps not, but they support a President who plays the part.

As I mentioned earlier: Trump is a godsend to the democratic forces in America: he has exposed that the tendency found in other countries to be at the very least accepting/lenient with autocratic leaders is not only present in the US but presently the strongest force. It is of extreme luck that Trump is inept and has no agenda beyond embezzling for his family and stroking his massive ego - a charismatic politician with the proper ambition could have already gone far further in doing lasting damage to democracy.

A countering of this must be found, and fairly soon, too, because I am sure more sinister actors are taking note.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2018, 07:36:55 AM

Authoritarianism isn't an ideology.  Trump screams out things like "Lugenpresse Fake News" and "Vrag Naroda Enemies of the American People" and his cult loves it.  I think that's something to worry about.

I think it's a little more nuanced than that.  My take is that he is either cleverly or by pure chance tapping into some sentiments that have built up over the years amongst his supporters, such as a perception that the traditional media are strongly left biased, frustration at having been on the losing side in the Culture War, nobody really doing much to stop illegal immigration, etc.  These people finally have someone saying what's on their minds.  They don't care that he tends to say it in vulgar terms.  And they're certainly willing filter out all the other embarrassing things he's said & done. 

But are they fascist?  No.  They don't know what fascism is any more than Trump does.  You can pick out a few common aspects between Trump supporters and 1920s/30s supporters of Mussolini (I mentioned them with concern during the primaries).  But it's not nearly enough to legitimately call them fascists.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2018, 08:38:56 AM
I think it's a little more nuanced than that.  My take is that he is either cleverly or by pure chance tapping into some sentiments that have built up over the years amongst his supporters...

You have missed the most likely explanation - that he is being advised by people who do have authoritarian views who understand that  populist politics plays well to a certain segment of the American population.  That explanation is also consistent with Fox news running pieces on the virtues populist politics.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on June 11, 2018, 08:21:29 AM
As I mentioned earlier: Trump is a godsend to the democratic forces in America: he has exposed that the tendency found in other countries to be at the very least accepting/lenient with autocratic leaders is not only present in the US but presently the strongest force. It is of extreme luck that Trump is inept and has no agenda beyond embezzling for his family and stroking his massive ego - a charismatic politician with the proper ambition could have already gone far further in doing lasting damage to democracy.

A countering of this must be found, and fairly soon, too, because I am sure more sinister actors are taking note.

Trump is following a well established populist play book.  I am not sure enough Americans recognize it for what it is.  But we will see during the mid term elections.  As you say, the Americans need to find a political solution to this fairly quickly.

DGuller

I'm not sure what political solution is there.  That 30-35% is sizable enough to gum up the works in our political system if they want to, and they've proven their willingness to fight political total war.  I also don't believe that many of the rest would remember for too long what the consequences are of not caring which side wins, because they're too smart and wise to side with either group of idiots.

derspiess

American populism doesn't tend to sustain itself for very long.  It'll burn out sooner than most of you think.

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2018, 10:21:55 AM
American populism doesn't tend to sustain itself for very long.  It'll burn out sooner than most of you think.

And we can bask in the afterglow. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Jim Crow sustained itself for quite a while, on the other hand.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on June 11, 2018, 10:31:58 AM
Jim Crow sustained itself for quite a while, on the other hand.

He might see that as okay as it only affected a minority of the population.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.