What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 30, 2018, 11:56:16 PM
How does nailing down a position change the minds of people with a different position?

It doesn't. That was not why I thought it necessary. I was talking about why I thought anti-Trumpism was likely to return them to power but incoherence was likely to have them booted out like it did the previous times. And I thought it was inevitable after the chaos of the 2016 election. But I am not entirely upset it did not since it probably would have resulted in my side losing.

Just to restate what I said earlier.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

I'm quite fine with Democrats being a divided party.  Our stupid political system forces everything into two serious parties, but there are more than two respectable ideologies out there in our society.  They just need some pragmatic people at the helm to manage this complected coalition in a productive way, and this is where they had the bad luck as of late.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on May 01, 2018, 08:20:28 AM
I'm quite fine with Democrats being a divided party.  Our stupid political system forces everything into two serious parties, but there are more than two respectable ideologies out there in our society.  They just need some pragmatic people at the helm to manage this complected coalition in a productive way, and this is where they had the bad luck as of late.

There is a significant segment of the population between the slightly right of the center and the far-left who don't get aroused by marching on the orders of a commanding father figure. They often have problems succeeding under a political system meant to favour commanding father figures.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on May 01, 2018, 08:59:51 AM
There is a significant segment of the population between the slightly right of the center and the far-left who don't get aroused by marching on the orders of a commanding father figure. They often have problems succeeding under a political system meant to favour commanding father figures.

In the US, on the other hand, commanding father figures seldom prosper.  Only a handful of presidents or heads of the House or Senate were from that mold, and even fewer were successful.  Maybe it's the parliamentarian system that makes your system favor commanding father figures?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Watching the Pompeo swearing-in thingie.  Trump rambling on right now as he does.  Loved watching his expressions during the invocation.

Anyway, the invocation was given by former ambassador Mary Ann Glendon.  I was vaguely familiar with her-- she was the ambassador to the Vatican at some point and has been involved with Catholic stuff.  But she was wearing a collar.  What's up with that?  Obviously she can't be a priest, but does the Catholic church let lay people wear collars in some cases?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2018, 10:30:36 AM
Watching the Pompeo swearing-in thingie.  Trump rambling on right now as he does.  Loved watching his expressions during the invocation.

Anyway, the invocation was given by former ambassador Mary Ann Glendon.  I was vaguely familiar with her-- she was the ambassador to the Vatican at some point and has been involved with Catholic stuff.  But she was wearing a collar.  What's up with that?  Obviously she can't be a priest, but does the Catholic church let lay people wear collars in some cases?

Episcopalian chicks wear collars.

Barrister

So a few Trumpian news bits from the last day or two:

-Trump's doctors letter from the campaign?  The one which said he would be the most fit President ever?  His then-doctor now confirms that it was dictated by Trump.

-the list of questions Mueller wants to ask Trump in an interview?  Apparently leaked by the Trump campaign, in order to accuse Mueller of leaking (and perhaps thus justify not going to an interview)

-Ukraine is no longer co-operating with the Mueller invertigation (remember Manafort's dealing with former Ukrainian president Yanukovych are a major part of the investigation).  The reason apparently was the Trump administration approving arms sales to Ukraine, and Ukraine not wanting to jeopardize that relationship.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on May 02, 2018, 10:49:25 AM
-the list of questions Mueller wants to ask Trump in an interview?  Apparently leaked by the Trump campaign, in order to accuse Mueller of leaking (and perhaps thus justify not going to an interview)

I shouldn't be surprised but wow.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2018, 10:35:19 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2018, 10:30:36 AM

Episcopalian chicks wear collars.

Right-- I'm guessing every Protestant denomination that ordains women lets them wear collars.  But I figured she was Catholic, what with all her ties to the Vatican.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on May 02, 2018, 10:49:25 AM
-Trump's doctors letter from the campaign?  The one which said he would be the most fit President ever?  His then-doctor now confirms that it was dictated by Trump.

Shock.  And it's not like he had to have an over the top clean bill of health.  Just something stating he's healthier than Hillary, which he obviously was.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2018, 11:38:07 AM
Right-- I'm guessing every Protestant denomination that ordains women lets them wear collars.  But I figured she was Catholic, what with all her ties to the Vatican.

I've never seen a non-Episcoplian in a collar.

Maybe they only wear it at your crypto-Catholic offshoot Methodist church, which is why you are so vociferous around St. Patrick's Day, to hide your true allegiance, which is to the Great Whore in Rome.  :ph34r:

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2018, 11:39:57 AM
Shock.  And it's not like he had to have an over the top clean bill of health.  Just something stating he's healthier than Hillary, which he obviously was.

Healthier than someone with the flu isn't much of a bar, but grifters never pass up the chance to lie, so lie Trump did.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Didn't Donald's bill of health mention that he needs to stop stuffing chow in his pie hole?  Strange to dictate that.

Habbaku

Probably wanted it to seem more realistic. Concede something minor so you can lie about the major stuff.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2018, 12:06:37 PM
Didn't Donald's bill of health mention that he needs to stop stuffing chow in his pie hole?  Strange to dictate that.

Here's the text of the letter:

QuoteTo Whom My Concern:

I have been the personal physician of Mr Donald J. Trump since 1980. His previous physician was my father, Dr Jacob Bornstein. Over the past 39 years, I am pleased to report that Mr Trump has had no significant medical problems. Mr Trump has had a recent complete medical examination that showed only positive results. Actually, his blood pressure, 110/65, and laboratory test results were astonishingly excellent.

Over the past twelve months, he has lost at least fifteen pounds, Mr Trump takes 81 mg of aspirin daily and a low dose of a statin. His PSA test score is 0.15 (very low). His physical strength and stamina are extraordinary.

Mr Trump has suffered no form of cancer, has never had a hip, knee or shoulder replacement or any other orthopaedic surgery. His only surgery was an appendectomy at age ten. His cardiovascular status is excellent. He has no history of ever using alcohol or tobacco products.

If elected, Mr Trump, I can state unequivocally, will be the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency.

Harold N Bornstein, MD, FACG

Nope - it say's he's already lost weight.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.