What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 25, 2018, 10:44:47 PM
Uh...hate to get you down Valmy, but there's not going to be a fight. The main candidates have all tacked left because the millenials are further left than they're predecessors and they're now the biggest voting block in America.

The Millennials are now all in their 30s and dealing with family and careers. We will see.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2018, 04:49:02 PM
And the way you all have practically de facto accepted illegal immigrants in society is just plain crazy.

Well it is hard to legislate economic realities away. You should adapt your policies to reflect reality. Not doing so is crazy. But hey it is the Republicans who rejected immigration reform (proposed by their own leader) and demanded we joust at Windmills forever and ever. Is that what conservative values are about? I thought you guys were more practical. Or at least I did...20 years ago.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Monoriu

The US attitude to immigration is very strange.  Immigration is good, but you don't just move to another country.  You have to do it legally, and in the process demonstrate that you are worthy of being admitted.  They let you in not because you need to move, but because letting you in is to the benefit to those who are already there.  You have to demonstrate that you have the cash, the skills, the knowledge etc. 

If not, expect to live in the shadows and be deported if found. 

That's the general principle but somehow it is possible for illegal immigrants to get driver's licences and to get legal work in the US.  That's not exactly "living in the shadows". 

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 25, 2018, 06:51:48 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2018, 04:49:02 PM
Nothing wrong with increasing border security.

It's fictional solution to a fictional problem.  Net migration from Mexico had fallen to zero by 2008 and has remained there ever sense.  And nothing Trump is proposing or doing is a rational way to control the border.

It's typical Trump B.S. and sorry to say that kind of comment is what fuels it.  THe Dems make the same mistake.  "we support more border security"  Where is the insecurity?  As if there is some kind of tectonic fault line on the international border?

Most of the US border consists of:
1) Land border with Canada.  Trump is doing jack about that.  For good reason.
2) The Atlantic, the Pacific and the Gulf of Mexico.  Trump's policy: cut the Coast Guard.

There is something wrong with "increasing border security"  It's contentless metaphorical lanaguage; its meaning is not in the realm of policy or reality but in rhetoric.  And the rhetorical message is a nasty one.

Actually, it would be great if you guys could put some kind of fence on your side of the no touching zone in Vermont & New York. Atleast to funnel the influx of refugees from the US into Canada to where we have actual border facilities.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 25, 2018, 07:11:50 PM
You're really overegging that pudding Joan.

On the border, on Pence or on both?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on April 25, 2018, 07:44:51 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 25, 2018, 06:30:03 PM
Romney ran against Romneycare and Rubio against soft Immigration reform. Those are the standard GOP positions.

I'll agree that being against some sort of national health care is the standard GOP position (and one which I strongly agree with), but neither party has anything approaching a standard policy towards immigration.

Nothing smacking of amnesty for Republicans.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on April 26, 2018, 01:00:24 AM
The US attitude to immigration is very strange.

Yes...yes it is.

QuoteImmigration is good, but you don't just move to another country.  You have to do it legally, and in the process demonstrate that you are worthy of being admitted.  They let you in not because you need to move, but because letting you in is to the benefit to those who are already there.  You have to demonstrate that you have the cash, the skills, the knowledge etc.

Ok well here is the situation: we, or at least many powerful and important interests, need those people here. They do tons of vital and important work. Which is why they are allowed to stay despite all the sound and fury.

QuoteIf not, expect to live in the shadows and be deported if found. 

That's the general principle but somehow it is possible for illegal immigrants to get driver's licences and to get legal work in the US.  That's not exactly "living in the shadows". 

Because many important and powerful interests need them here and want them here. The people and politicians just refuse to pass laws taking these realities into account and thus putting our security and borders in danger. There are other ridiculous things as well, like officially recognizing those people might mean they are less profitable to use since they would be eligible for all sorts of labor protections.

Eddie Teach

They keep labor costs down, which is good for professionals like Valmy but not so good for service workers.

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 26, 2018, 10:45:44 AM
They keep labor costs down, which is good for professionals like Valmy but not so good for service workers.

SO CORRUPT SO SAD

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/apr/26/donald-trump-to-visit-uk-on-friday-13-july

QuoteDonald Trump to visit UK on Friday 13 July
President to hold bilateral talks with Theresa May but will not receive full fanfare of state visit

The protests should be good. :punk:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amberjamieson/donald-trump-fox-friends?bfsplash&utm_term=.np7KYrqrwl#.bmXeD0L0G6

Quote14 Things Trump Said On "Fox & Friends" This Morning

1. Trump on the criminal investigation into the business dealings of his personal attorney Michael Cohen: "Let me tell you, Michael is in business, he is really a businessman, a fairly big business as I understand it. I don't know his business but this doesn't have to do with me."

2. Trump on his Veterans Affairs nominee dropping out on Thursday: "They are trying to destroy a man. By the way, I did say welcome to Washington. Welcome to the swamp. Welcome to the world of politics."

3. Trump on Kanye West: "He has good taste. ... I get along with Kanye. I get along with a lot of people, frankly, but Kanye looks and he sees black unemployment at the lowest it's been in the history of our country, okay? ... He sees that stuff and he's smart. And he says, you know what? Trump is doing a much better job than the Democrats did."

4. Trump on Republicans traditionally ignoring black voters: "I think it was just the custom. People don't realize, if you go back to the civil war, it was the Republicans that really did the thing. Lincoln was a Republican. Somehow it changed over the years and I will say, I really believe it's changing back."

5. Trump on Shania Twain: "She made a mistake by sort of saying 'I wish I didn't go public with it,' but we know how she feels. But people have done that, amazed what happens to their business. We have tremendous support. We have tremendous fans. If I ever called for a rally in Washington, DC, we would have millions of people coming into Washington, DC, because they love what's happening."

6. Trump on what he bought his wife Melania for her birthday today: "I'm very busy to be running out looking for presents. I got her a beautiful card and some beautiful flowers."

7. Trump on CIA director Mike Pompeo's meeting with Kim Jong Un: "He wasn't supposed to meet with Kim Jong Un but he did. You know, they arranged actually while he was there to say hello. We have incredible pictures of the two talking and meeting, which I would love to release if we can. I'll do that, actually, that's not a bad idea."

8. Trump on pro-Trump bloggers Diamond and Silk: "Diamond and Silk have become amazing. That started off like somebody was talking about them on the internet, these two women, these two beautiful, wonderful women. And I said, let me check it out. It took me about two seconds to say ... it is incredible."

9. Trump on the investigation into collusion between his campaign and Russia during the election: "There is no collusion with me and the Russians. Nobody has been tougher to Russia than I am. You can ask president Putin about that. There has been nobody."

10. Trump on the US Justice Department: "They have a witch hunt against the president of the United States going on. I have taken the position, and I don't have to take this position and maybe I'll change, that I will not be involved with the Justice Department. I will wait til this is over."

11. Trump on why he didn't win the popular vote: "Everyone goes home and says, 'you know, I really like Donald Trump but I have watched on the news' — and they don't know it is fake, I have taught them it is fake news — 'I watched on the news that he can't win. So let's go to a movie, darling, and we'll come home and watch Donald lose.'"

12. Trump on CNN and other media outlets: "People have to understand how dishonest the news is. ... Look at others, CNN, they will have a council of seven people, of the seven people everyone is against me. I'm saying, where do they even find these people?"

13. Trump on watching TV: "I watched leaking, lying Comey last night and I did, I hated to do it. One of the reasons, people say you are still looking good, Mr. President, how do you do it?"

14. Trump on what grade he'd give himself as president: "Look, I'm fighting a battle against a horrible group of deep-seated people — drain the swamp — that are coming up with all sorts of phony charges against me, and they're not bringing up real charges against the other side. So we have a phony deal going on and it's a cloud over my head. And I've been able to escape that cloud because the message now, everyone knows it's a fix, okay? It's a witch hunt. And they know that. I've been able to message it. I would give myself an A+."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 26, 2018, 10:36:43 AM
On the border, on Pence or on both?

On the border mostly, but now that you mention it, Pence was the direct cause of Flynn getting canned.

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on April 26, 2018, 10:41:54 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 26, 2018, 01:00:24 AM
The US attitude to immigration is very strange.

Yes...yes it is.

QuoteImmigration is good, but you don't just move to another country.  You have to do it legally, and in the process demonstrate that you are worthy of being admitted.  They let you in not because you need to move, but because letting you in is to the benefit to those who are already there.  You have to demonstrate that you have the cash, the skills, the knowledge etc.

Ok well here is the situation: we, or at least many powerful and important interests, need those people here. They do tons of vital and important work. Which is why they are allowed to stay despite all the sound and fury.

QuoteIf not, expect to live in the shadows and be deported if found. 

Because many important and powerful interests need them here and want them here. The people and politicians just refuse to pass laws taking these realities into account and thus putting our security and borders in danger. There are other ridiculous things as well, like officially recognizing those people might mean they are less profitable to use since they would be eligible for all sorts of labor protections.

I thought you guys have rule of law?  Societal needs should be based on what the law says, not what "important and powerful interests" say.  If you want to admit those people, you need to change the law.  As long as you haven't changed the law, they are illegals and cannot be integrated into society.  You don't circumvent your own laws and regulations because you need them here. 

Eddie Teach

Mono, that's a good philosophy. Why don't you try working to ensure rule of law trumps powerful interests in China?  :hmm: