Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on April 26, 2018, 05:33:15 PM
Societal needs should be based on what the law says,

I tend to think the inverse.

Monoriu

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 26, 2018, 06:13:06 PM
Mono, that's a good philosophy. Why don't you try working to ensure rule of law trumps powerful interests in China?  :hmm:

I am not going to fall into that trap  :P

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 26, 2018, 01:47:29 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 26, 2018, 10:36:43 AM
On the border, on Pence or on both?

On the border mostly, but now that you mention it, Pence was the direct cause of Flynn getting canned.

Acting as a passive dupe to Flynn's lies doesn't refute my paperweight characterization.

Since Trump came to prominence, the "debate" such as it is on border issues has been devoid of meaningful factual content.  If it takes some egging to restore the balance, I'm not adverse to cracking a few open.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 26, 2018, 06:28:17 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 26, 2018, 05:33:15 PM
Societal needs should be based on what the law says,

I tend to think the inverse.

I agree.  I will say that I think that as long as the current immigration laws are on the books, they should be enforced, but I also think those laws need to be changed. 

And, FWIW, I don't think we should necessarily equate societal needs with the desires of certain important and powerful factions.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on April 26, 2018, 08:27:47 PM

I agree.  I will say that I think that as long as the current immigration laws are on the books, they should be enforced, but I also think those laws need to be changed.

They are enforced. I mean we deport plenty of people. But not with the resources and will required to enforce them effectively. And that is unlikely to change hence why the law should be changed into something that we do have the resources and will to enforce.

QuoteAnd, FWIW, I don't think we should necessarily equate societal needs with the desires of certain important and powerful factions.

Agreed. But the desires of those factions do make things more difficult.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Trump is now demanding that Senator Jon Tester resign because he brought up allegations that sunk Trump's VA pick.  This doesn't make a lick of sense.  If the allegations are false or they don't matter, then Trump should stand by his man.  If the allegations are true and Trump believes they important enough to end this guy's nomination then he should be thankful for stopping an unfit person from becoming head of the Veterans Administration.

I have no idea if these are true, and really I don't care that much.  I'm of the opinion that President should be able to pick who he wants to fill out the Cabinet, unless that person is deeply unqualified or corrupt.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

It makes complete sense if you start with the premise that the only thing that matters to Trump is personal loyalty.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 28, 2018, 05:44:50 PM
It makes complete sense if you start with the premise that the only thing that matters to Trump is personal loyalty.

Actually, I don't follow.  Trump's loyalty to his nominee or a Democratic Senator's Loyalty to Donald Trump?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on April 28, 2018, 07:16:30 PM
Actually, I don't follow.  Trump's loyalty to his nominee or a Democratic Senator's Loyalty to Donald Trump?

Humanity's loyalty to Trump.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 28, 2018, 07:20:06 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 28, 2018, 07:16:30 PM

Humanity's loyalty to Trump.

Adoration is what he's after. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Why do politicians still attend the White House Correspondents' Dinner? What's the upside for them?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on April 29, 2018, 03:29:14 AM
Why do politicians still attend the White House Correspondents' Dinner? What's the upside for them?

You have to eat somewhere.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on April 29, 2018, 03:29:14 AM
You look like you can take a joke at your expense.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on April 25, 2018, 06:49:33 PM
Democrats figuring out their ideology would heal the deep divisions in our society?

I missed this.

I did not say anything about our society I was talking about the deep divisions in the Democratic party. So yes Democrats healing their deep divisions would heal their deep divisions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

How does nailing down a position change the minds of people with a different position?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?