And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2018, 04:34:27 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 07, 2018, 04:28:52 PM
Well, he probably would not have asked it if there wasn't an announcement.

Exactly. Also as we know Oex, it is clear he is expressing that he's horrified about it and potentially sounding out how we may have become desensitized now to Trump's reckless actions.

I am fairly desensitized at this point.  Trump wants to throw a big military parade to celebrate... himself.  If it kept him occupied I'd be okay if the entire military marched through his bedroom like Fredrich Wilhelm.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Trump is talking about the stock market as if it was a person and has accused it of making a "big mistake".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Sophie Scholl

The nation's obsession with honoring the armed forces these days is getting... more than a tad intense.  It's like things swung from demeaning and the "spitting on soldiers" of the post Vietnam era to total swing in the opposite direction.  Heck, more than a complete swing.  There is almost zero tolerance for any discussion of the military that isn't glorifying it and promoting it in the most jingoistic terms and to do otherwise is political suicide.  I don't think we've quite reached Imperial German levels of worship, but it seems like we're getting there.  It is not an ideal situation in my opinion.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ylNzY7Ixc

Very interesting Face the Nation interview with Trey Gowdy.  It's long.

No executive summary.  Fuck you.

mongers

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 07, 2018, 07:47:30 PM
The nation's obsession with honoring the armed forces these days is getting... more than a tad intense.  It's like things swung from demeaning and the "spitting on soldiers" of the post Vietnam era to total swing in the opposite direction.  Heck, more than a complete swing.  There is almost zero tolerance for any discussion of the military that isn't glorifying it and promoting it in the most jingoistic terms and to do otherwise is political suicide.  I don't think we've quite reached Imperial German levels of worship, but it seems like we're getting there.  It is not an ideal situation in my opinion.

Yes it is troubling, and we're getting it over here too.

Charity opportunists are jumping on the bandwagon, slap a few military links on your project and no one will dare check or challenge it's effectiveness or question it' s worthiness.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

That's how it looks like to me from the outside as well.

Valmy

I feel like you can still be critical about the institution of the military, but it is a bad idea to talk crap about the service members unless you are one.

Not that anybody would ever want to say anything bad about the brave men and women who give their lives for our freedom. I mean that would be nuts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Valmy on February 07, 2018, 08:43:32 PM
Not that anybody would ever want to say anything bad about the brave men and women who give their lives for our freedom. I mean that would be nuts.
:mellow:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

PDH

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 07, 2018, 08:58:39 PM

I sense a sarchasm
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

With the exception of America hating commies, naturally.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: PDH on February 07, 2018, 09:04:35 PM

I sense a sarchasm
I was thinking/hoping so, but... one never knows. :(

DGuller

I remember going to a NASCAR race in Pocono, about eight or so years ago, and pre-race ceremonies heavily featured the military.  There was even a small parade, though armored Humvees was as heavy as the equipment got.  I found the whole thing deeply off-putting.  It's one thing to honor the military, but that level of fetishizing the military during a sporting event was over the top.

Valmy

I have a question for you BA

:P

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Razgovory

Yeah.  It's not healthy.  It actually comes from the Vietnam thing.  I don't think there were actually occasions where soldiers spit on by protesters, but it became a standard Republican talking point in the 1980's.  The Democrats countered this by trying to be even more pro-military.  The result is almost like an arms race of adoration.