News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on August 15, 2017, 09:58:40 AM
FWIW I think an "it can't happen here" attitude will serve America well. :)

The US has a pretty solid record of squashing internal Communist agitation. I'm fairly confident that should it ever become a significant problem - and probably before it does - they'll do so again.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2017, 09:03:12 AM
Antifa are far left. They're violent extremists. I don't care if they technically are communists or not.

I am certainly no fan. These are like those clowns who used to turn every Free Trade negotiation into a street battle back in the 90s right?

But it is a bad look to try to lump them together with the right nutcases. We can call them out separately when they do bad shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on August 15, 2017, 10:23:56 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2017, 09:03:12 AM
Antifa are far left. They're violent extremists. I don't care if they technically are communists or not.

I am certainly no fan. But it is a bad look to try to lump them together with the right nutcases. We can call them out separately when they do bad shit.

... but that won't allow you to dismiss the right wing's excesses and refocus the conversation on the acceptable targets of the non-white and the poor. I don't think spicy is going to stand for that.

The Minsky Moment

We'll all agree that burning cars and acts of vandalism are bad hence so is antifa.

But what does Antifa advocate for politically?  Beyond that fascism is bad. 

Problem with the Nazis and the KKKers is that not only are they violence-prone hooligans, they are also Nazis and virulent racists. 

Nazism is bad of its own accord.  Anti-Nazism is not.  Simple point.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Antifa types are just ordinary criminal rabble. Street scum.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on August 15, 2017, 09:58:40 AM
FWIW I think an "it can't happen here" attitude will serve America well. :)

Sure but seems like that is a discussion for another day. If Nazis are gaining prominence, probably not worth worrying about the potential for a communist uprising at some point in the future.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Exactly - it's not that it "can't" happen here, it that's it's not happening here.
I suppose its theoretically possible that Bourbon legitimists might plot to seize power in North America, but it's hardly an immediate concern.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

The danger of Communism is likely a moot point anyway. With Trump as president North Korean nukes are likely to end American society as we know it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 15, 2017, 10:17:59 AM
Some guy driving a car into pedestrians doesn't make American Nazis relevant.

It made Radical Islamic Terrorism relevant when an unhinged Somali refugee student did the exact thing at Ohio State last year.  Der Trumpenführer flew out there, praised the cop that shot him, etc.  Funny how that works.

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 15, 2017, 10:51:23 AM
I suppose its theoretically possible that Bourbon legitimists might plot to seize power in North America, but it's hardly an immediate concern.

Aah! Let's do it!

Eddie Teach

Islamists do that kind of thing on the daily, not to mention they run governments. They are relevant, unfortunately.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 15, 2017, 10:50:32 AM
So this happened today:

Wait Trump retweeted just some random guy? I guess to sic his fans on him. Tough break Mike Holden but twitter is a very dangerous place.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 15, 2017, 10:36:59 AM
We'll all agree that burning cars and acts of vandalism are bad hence so is antifa.

But what does Antifa advocate for politically?  Beyond that fascism is bad. 

Problem with the Nazis and the KKKers is that not only are they violence-prone hooligans, they are also Nazis and virulent racists. 

Nazism is bad of its own accord.  Anti-Nazism is not.  Simple point.

The antifa types seem to be willing to act violently because the country is run by a conspiracy of the elites.  A fair number (those who dress all in black and wear black Balaclavas) argue that property destruction isn't a crime, and so engage in it freely.

Antifa is a convenient label for them, but it isn't just fascism that they oppose.  It's also capitalism.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!