News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on July 26, 2017, 10:26:43 AM
And Trump firing Sessions over him recusing himself is madness - there's no chance the Senate will confirm any new AG unless that person agrees they will NOT fire Mueller.

Which of course means Trump will fire Sessions tomorrow.

With the added benefit of Rosenstein manning the conn in the meantime.

It's precisely the kind of self-sabotaging move Trump would make.

Although, he does have some maneuvering room...

https://www.justsecurity.org/43477/sessions-succession-scenarios/

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 26, 2017, 11:26:12 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 26, 2017, 09:39:22 AM
Yeah, I was totally shocked when a study commissioned by the Obama administration gave them exactly the results they were looking for.

Riiight . . . the Rand Corporation is so well known for its radical leftist positions on identity politics.

It's well known as a place where endless calculations are conducted in a moral vacuum.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 26, 2017, 11:34:09 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 26, 2017, 10:26:43 AM
And Trump firing Sessions over him recusing himself is madness - there's no chance the Senate will confirm any new AG unless that person agrees they will NOT fire Mueller.

Which of course means Trump will fire Sessions tomorrow.

With the added benefit of Rosenstein manning the conn in the meantime.

Rosenstein would be fired too, of course.
Trump could even do it on a Saturday night.  What do you think they'd call that?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 26, 2017, 11:36:17 AM
Rosenstein would be fired too, of course.
Trump could even do it on a Saturday night.  What do you think they'd call that?

Knowing his tendencies and rage clock, I'd go with "Saturday Morning Cartoons"

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on July 26, 2017, 11:06:29 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 26, 2017, 10:39:07 AM
While keeping Mueller & recusing himself are good, sensible things but Sessions is a white supremacist turning back the clock on many improvement the American justice had made. ie: Marijuana enforcement & civil forfeiture.

He's not a white supremacist but he is wrong on both those issues.

I agree.  I think the "white supremacist" label is just virtue signalling on the part of the name-caller.  Sessions is a terrible choice for AG, but not because he is a "white supremacist."  He's a terrible choice because he believes that his morality is the only morality and that it should be imposed on the population by use of government power.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

A real pal to the LGBT community there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on July 26, 2017, 12:19:49 PM
A real pal to the LGBT community there.

Hey, it's Trump.

He's sold out his country to the Russians to gain an electoral advantage; why not sell out the LGBT community to gain more of the same?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

you're all being to cynical. Now that won't die in battle. It's the greatest gift he could give, really.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

frunk

He thinks the T stands for Transformers

Barrister

An interesting "behind the scenes" view of the Trans ban in the military.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/26/trump-transgender-military-ban-behind-the-scenes-240990

The TL;DR version is that there was a fight in the House GOP - some wanted to ban taxpayer-funded reassignment surgery for serving military members, while others did not.  Trump decided to solve the problem by just banning all Trans people serving in the military.  Apparently it 'played well with conservatives', even though Mattis himself was against the move.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on July 26, 2017, 11:47:15 AM
I agree.  I think the "white supremacist" label is just virtue signalling on the part of the name-caller.  Sessions is a terrible choice for AG, but not because he is a "white supremacist."  He's a terrible choice because he believes that his morality is the only morality and that it should be imposed on the population by use of government power.

What in your view makes someone a "white supremacist"?

Valmy

If you believe White people are naturally superior to other people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on July 26, 2017, 02:52:01 PM
If you believe White people are naturally superior to other people.

Ah I see... I think another popular definition is "if you think society should be structured to primarily benefit white people".

derspiess

And another popular definition is "white people I don't like."
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall