News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 26, 2017, 09:06:19 AM
I think the plan is to avoid paying for unnecessary surgeries.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/26/politics/trump-military-transgender/index.html

QuoteA 2016 Rand Corp. study commissioned by the Defense Department concluded that letting transgender people serve openly would have a "minimal impact" on readiness and health care costs, largely because there are so few in the military's 1.3 million-member force.

The study put the number of transgender people in the military between 1,320 and 6,630. Gender-change surgery is rare in the general population, and the RAND study estimated the possibility of 30 to 140 new hormone treatments a year in the military, with 25 to 130 gender transition-related surgeries among active service members. The cost could range from $2.4 million and $8.4 million, an amount that would represent an "exceedingly small proportion" of total health care expenditures, the study found.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 25, 2017, 03:55:04 PM
Merkel is also running a government, not Season 16 of The Apprentice - The White House Edition.

Ooh, there's a Poll Cat for that.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 26, 2017, 09:15:50 AM

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/26/politics/trump-military-transgender/index.html

QuoteA 2016 Rand Corp. study commissioned by the Defense Department concluded that letting transgender people serve openly would have a "minimal impact" on readiness and health care costs, largely because there are so few in the military's 1.3 million-member force.

The study put the number of transgender people in the military between 1,320 and 6,630. Gender-change surgery is rare in the general population, and the RAND study estimated the possibility of 30 to 140 new hormone treatments a year in the military, with 25 to 130 gender transition-related surgeries among active service members. The cost could range from $2.4 million and $8.4 million, an amount that would represent an "exceedingly small proportion" of total health care expenditures, the study found.

Yeah, I was totally shocked when a study commissioned by the Obama administration gave them exactly the results they were looking for.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 26, 2017, 09:39:22 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 26, 2017, 09:15:50 AM

Yeah, I was totally shocked when a study commissioned by the Obama administration gave them exactly the results they were looking for.

You mean the result that makes logical sense given than transgender individuals probably don't exist in the military at higher levels than in the general population? :mellow:

But whatever, probably a good idea to spend time sticking it to a few thousand people who want to serve in the military.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on July 26, 2017, 09:02:47 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 26, 2017, 08:29:22 AM
Hey I thought Trump was actually liberal on social issues and was super pro-LGBT. Huh.

I guess the plan is to encourage more Chelsea Mannings to fall apart and steal secrets?

Nah, it's culture wars red meat for the base. Trans individuals as an easy target. If the Democrats come out strong in favour of Trans rights, so much the better - it'll shore up the sizeable "reasonable bigot" vote against "special interest groups".

Barrister

Is there any possibility that this bizarre anti-Sessions  extended rant of Trump's might be the beginning of the end for him?  I mean it even has Breitbart writing articles that are critical of Trump on the topic.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

If Breitbart is against Trump on something, you should be with Trump.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 26, 2017, 10:11:11 AM
If Breitbart is against Trump on something, you should be with Trump.

I gotta disagree with this.

You can dislike Sessions politics all you want, but he is at least trying to promote the policies that he (and Trump) actually ran on.  And Trump firing Sessions over him recusing himself is madness - there's no chance the Senate will confirm any new AG unless that person agrees they will NOT fire Mueller.

Which of course means Trump will fire Sessions tomorrow.

Grey Fox

While keeping Mueller & recusing himself are good, sensible things but Sessions is a white supremacist turning back the clock on many improvement the American justice had made. ie: Marijuana enforcement & civil forfeiture.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 26, 2017, 10:39:07 AM
While keeping Mueller & recusing himself are good, sensible things but Sessions is a white supremacist turning back the clock on many improvement the American justice had made. ie: Marijuana enforcement & civil forfeiture.

But those are at least actual policy positions that Trump ran on.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 26, 2017, 10:39:07 AM

He's not a white supremacist but he is wrong on both those issues.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on July 26, 2017, 09:39:22 AM

Riiight . . . the Rand Corporation is so well known for its radical leftist positions on identity politics.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson