And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

This is why nobody ever believes what you say.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

LaCroix

Quote from: Maximus on February 23, 2017, 02:48:15 PM
The prequels were just as good as the originals.

agree with this. on rewatch, star wars ep 4-6 are terrible.

MadImmortalMan

If people are to really take the Russian interference claim seriously, they need something to grasp that shows it's real and dangerous. The main things we have now are just claims that some officials believe they did stuff.

We got a fake pee story that had the opposite effect.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 23, 2017, 08:36:45 PM
If people are to really take the Russian interference claim seriously, they need something to grasp that shows it's real and dangerous. The main things we have now are just claims that some officials believe they did stuff.

We got a fake pee story that had the opposite effect.

We already have what they did: hacked Podesta's emails and leaked them to Albino Boy. 

However, if they come up with proof that the Orange Buffoon's thugs asked Putaine to do it, then shit will hit fan.

CountDeMoney

The FBI is not going to release hard evidence for public consumption until there's a special prosecutor or other legal proceedings begin.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 23, 2017, 08:13:09 PM
It's simply stunning how little people actually care about Russian interference and the connections to Trump's people.  I really think future generations of Americans are going to have a hard time conceptualizing that the country hated Hillary Clinton so much they'd let a foreign power and adversary get away with it.

Better Hitler than Blum
People don't learn
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 24, 2017, 12:36:45 AM
It's simply stunning how little people actually care about Russian interference and the connections to Trump's people.  I really think future generations of Americans are going to have a hard time conceptualizing that the country hated Hillary Clinton so much they'd let a foreign power and adversary get away with it.

Better Hitler than Blum
People don't learn

I keep thinking about that.  It bothers me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Half the country is just really angry at Abortions to vote for, well, anyone.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

You guys get a chance, read up on Bannon's discussion at CPAC yesterday about "economic nationalism" and then ask yourself where you've heard it before.

sbr

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/justice-department-will-again-use-private-prisons/2017/02/23/da395d02-fa0e-11e6-be05-1a3817ac21a5_story.html?utm_term=.ae47d607c690

QuoteJustice Department will again use private prisons

The Justice Department will once again use private prisons to house federal inmates, reversing an Obama-era directive to stop using the facilities, which officials had then deemed less safe and less effective than those run by the government.

In a one-paragraph memo, Attorney General Jeff Sessions rescinded the previous directive to the Bureau of Prisons to either reduce or decline to renew private-prison contracts as they came due.

"The memorandum changed long-standing policy and practice, and impaired the Bureau's ability to meet the future needs of the federal correctional system," Sessions wrote. "Therefore, I direct the Bureau to return to its previous approach."

The directive marks a significant policy shift from the previous administration, although the practical impact might be somewhat muted.

Most inmates are housed in state prisons, rather than federal ones. Even when the Justice Department announced it would no longer use private facilities, the action only affected 13 prisons, housing a little more than 22,000 inmates. The original directive also did not apply to Immigration and Customs Enforcement and U.S. Marshals Service detainees, who are technically in the federal system but not under the purview of the federal Bureau of Prisons.

Private-prison operators already stood to benefit substantially from President Trump's aggressive measures to detain and deport illegal immigrants.

As of Thursday afternoon, the Bureau of Prisons had 12 privately run facilities, holding 21,366 inmates. They are run by three private-prison operators: Management and Training Corporation, the GEO Group and CoreCivic, which used to be known as Corrections Corporation of America.

Private prisons have faced significant criticism in recent years from civil liberties advocates and others. Sally Yates, who served as deputy attorney general in the Obama administration, did not mince words in August when she ordered the Department of Justice — of which the Bureau of Prisons is a part — to end the use of private prisons entirely by phasing them out over time.

"They simply do not provide the same level of correctional services, programs, and resources; they do not save substantially on costs; and as noted in a recent report by the Department's Office of Inspector General, they do not maintain the same level of safety and security," Yates wrote.

The inspector general's report concluded, among other things, that privately operated facilities incurred more safety and security incidents than those run by the federal Bureau of Prisons. The private facilities, for example, had higher rates of assaults — both by inmates on other inmates and by inmates on staff — and had eight times as many contraband cellphones confiscated each year on average, according to the report.

Private-prison operators vigorously disputed that report's conclusions, and they hailed Thursday's memo from Sessions as vindication.

Jonathan Burns, a CoreCivic spokesman, said the announcement "validates our position that the department's previous direction was not reflective of the high quality services we have provided to the federal government for decades." Pablo Paez, a spokesman for the GEO Group, said the company believed the Justice Department's earlier decision was "based on a misrepresentation," and it welcomed the reinstatement of "long-standing practice and policy at the Federal level."

Issa Arnita, a spokesman for Management and Training Corp., said the new directive empowers the Bureau of Prisons "to manage its facilities in a way that provides the greatest value to taxpayers and the inmates in their care."

The private-prison industry is a formidable one, generating billions of dollars of revenue each year and giving significant amounts to politicians. The GEO Group and CoreCivic, for example, donated $250,000 to support Trump's inaugural festivities, spokesmen for the companies said. Management and Training Corp. did not, a spokesman said. Separately, the GEO Group, gave $275,00 to the pro-Trump super PAC Rebuilding America Now, according to FEC filings. One $100,000 donation came a day after the Justice Department announced it would no longer use the facilities.

The Justice Department had believed dwindling prison populations would make it possible for the Bureau of Prisons to end its use of contract facilities, and a Justice Department spokesman said in October that still appeared to be the case. Other agencies, though, did not see it that way, even during the Obama administration.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement, for example, inked a contract in October to use a New Mexico facility that the Justice Department had moved Bureau of Prisons inmates out of. The facility has a history of questionable deaths and substandard medical care.

A government panel recommended in December that the Department of Homeland Security continue with its use of private immigrant-detention facilities — saying they were the only realistic way to handle the volatile flows at the border. But the panel's report was the subject of a contentious debate, and more than two-thirds of a broader government group objected to its conclusion.

David C. Fathi, director of the American Civil Liberties Union's National Prison Project, said that putting people into for-profit prisons was "a recipe for abuse and neglect," and the new Justice Department directive seemed to foreshadow the worrisome possibility that "the United States may be headed for a new federal prison boom." If Sessions believes the Bureau of Prisons could not meet its needs without using for-profit facilities, he said, "you've got to wonder what they've got up their sleeve."