News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: grumbler on February 22, 2017, 09:55:11 AMSo, you posted a map and didn't provide any real context for it, but did provide some random verbiage about camps being "full of" whatever, assuming that means anything and was even intended to inform.

:D

I'll explain things because you asked, but next time please do a better job of knowing what I'm thinking

this whole protest started because the pipeline route is going over the missouri river just north of the standing rock sioux reservation. the fear was that the pipeline could maybe some day burst, and this could affect the sioux's ancient drinking water.

so, they created a huge protest camp right on a floodzone that, when flooded, directs water into this same river. this particular river flows south, unlike the other major ND river. now, the protest camp is filled with a ton of trash. unless the government cleans it up fast, it's going to result in an environmental disaster that could really hurt the tribe's ancient drinking water

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on February 22, 2017, 09:01:37 AM
Quote from: Jacob on February 21, 2017, 08:05:40 PMHe released a youtube video a while ago. Finally some conservatives checked it out before he was going to speak at CPAP (or whatever that thing is called), and they noped out. That set the cascade of consequences rolling.

In this case, all "teh librals" have been doing is pointing and laughing as Milo falls from grace. They were not involved in "spreading" anything other than gloating after the fact "oh look, NOW they care he's a pedo."

the liberals I've seen comment on the story have all been attacking milo for being disgusting. I buy there are a few laughing at his predicament while shaking their head in disgust over his being persecuted. but that seems to be a minority

The Liberals I have seen commenting on the story have wondered why it was ok for him to do all the horrible doxing and harassment of women and minorities but somehow the line gets drawn here. But anyway making conclusions about a third of the country based on a few internet comments seems weak.

In any case liberals have nothing to do with this as he was never in grace with them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Eddie Teach

Who is the woman and did he throw her in the river?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Is this true? Has Rand Paul sold us out at his first Republican President? Or is this just hyperbole? I got this from Spellus' FB feed.

Shame, if true, I thought he was one of the few with actual principle. Principles I generally disliked but still...

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/02/rand-paul-has-become-trumps-most-loyal-toady.html

QuoteRand Paul Has Become Trump's Most Loyal Stooge

The Republican Party has largely decided to cover for Donald Trump's massive corruption, grotesque lies, and manifest unfitness for office. But few of them have gone quite so far, or quite so cravenly, as Rand Paul. The junior senator from Kentucky, and onetime hope of the extremely short-lived "libertarian moment" in American politics, has not only attached himself to Trump, but is actively snuffing out whatever faint stirrings of opposition his colleagues can muster.

While the GOP Congress has ignored the president's self-enrichment, refusal to disclose his tax returns, and clear violations of the Constitution's Emoluments Clause, some have expressed willingness to investigate his opaque ties to Russia. Paul is not one of them. And not only does he see no need for investigation on Russia, Paul has staked out a stance against any investigations, period, on the brutally frank grounds that it would impair the party's legislative agenda. "I just don't think it's useful to be doing investigation after investigation, particularly of your own party," he told "Kilmeade and Friends." "We'll never even get started with doing the things we need to do, like repealing Obamacare, if we're spending our whole time having Republicans investigate Republicans."

Many Republicans have made piecemeal excuses not to exercise the oversight function. Only Paul has elevated the practice of looking away from the crimes of the Executive branch to an actual principle of governance.

John McCain has staked out the most independent position, most recently likening Trump's description of the media as "enemies of the people" to the words of a dictator. Paul is having none of it. Last weekend, Paul appeared on CNN to deliver a defense of Trump so fulsome that Breitbart has published it in its entirety. After repeatedly swatting away concerns about the president, Paul explained that McCain's criticism of Trump's authoritarian ravings were nothing but a cover for his ideological vendetta:

"I think people — you know, this is colored by John McCain's disagreement with President Trump. It all is. Everything that he says about the president is colored by his own personal dispute he has got running with President Trump. And it should be taken with a grain of salt because John McCain is the guy that has advocated for war everywhere. He would bankrupt the nation. And actually we're very lucky John McCain is not in charge because I think we would be in perpetual war."

Obviously Paul has longstanding disagreements with McCain on foreign policy. But the subject of this rant was not foreign policy; it was Trump's creepy, Stalinesque dismissal of the news media as a class enemy, which Paul is excusing by changing the subject to other issues. Every authoritarian requires spineless lackeys who will attack his dissidents. In Trump's Republican Party, the authoritarian's best friend is the libertarian

Say it ain't so Rand. I figured most of the liberty guys were just using that as a club to beat the other party's president with, like the civil liberty Democrats like to do, but I thought Paul was one of the true believers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on February 22, 2017, 09:33:32 AM
so, protestors spent months protesting against dakota access pipeline and lived in a huge camp filled with thousands. the camp is now full of waste and trash, and it's in a floodzone right next to the river.

Must have been left by the police. The protesters were all one with nature.

Syt

Things Chaffetz investigates rather than Flynn:

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/320607-chaffetz-probing-national-parks-tweet-welcoming-a-national-monument

QuoteChaffetz probing national park's tweet welcoming new monument

House Oversight Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) is investigating a months-old tweet from his state's Bryce Canyon National Park.

Chaffetz reportedly suspects that the tweet, which was posted in December the day after President Obama designated the more than 1.35-million-acre Bears Ears National Monument in southern Utah, may reveal that the park officials had advanced notice.

"Welcome to the family Bears Ears (& Gold Butte) NM! A hopeful slot in our front desk maps has long been held for you," the account tweeted.

An attached picture with the tweet showed what appeared to be an empty map slot, labeled "Bears Ears."

Chaffetz questioned the timing of the tweet, which mentions a slot that "long been held."

"The White House is telling the governor as well as the congressional offices that no decisions had been made — that it was still an open question — so how is it [Bryce Canyon National Park officials] were already ready to go with that information?" Chaffetz asked in a letter to Bryce Canyon's superintendent. "The timing is serious."

Bryce Canyon's interim superintendent Sue Fritzke insists the park did not receive advance notice and that the tweet was an innocent welcome notice.

"When we have another piece of land in the park service that is close by, we will reach out and welcome them to the federal family, and let them know we are here and interested in connecting," Fritzke said, according to The Salt Lake Tribune.

Chaffetz's probe comes amid criticism against the Oversight chairman for not aggressively investigating the Trump administration for potential conflicts of interest or collusion with Russia.

Chaffetz recently launched a probe into Trump's handling of classified intelligence information while on an open patio at his private Mar-a-Lago resort.

The chairman, however, chose not to probe former National Security Sdviser Michael Flynn over what contacts he had with the Russian government before Trump took office, saying the situation has "taken care of itself" after Flynn resigned earlier this month.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

The scorn that the Republican hard core wing seems to have for the National Park system seems quite silly if it wasn't so dangerous.

Jacob

Quote from: The Larch on February 22, 2017, 03:57:22 PM
The scorn that the Republican hard core wing seems to have for the National Park system seems quite silly if it wasn't so dangerous.

It's not that silly. There are financial interests at stake - things like grazing rights, mineral exploitation, water rights etc.

MadImmortalMan

That's all for other public land (BLM, National Forests, etc.).

Nobody grazes in the actual NPs.

The big ones have become kinda crappy now though. Yellowstone+Yosemite are just traffic jams most of the time.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

Of course nobody graces in the actual Nation Parks.

That is why the Christian right hates them so much - all those resources Jesus wants us to exploit wasted!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Oexmelin

The Republicans have ceased to see these things as symbols, but rather see them as genuine problems, against which all the other, ordinary trappings of an authoritarian state, which they were supposed to despise and oppose, pale in comparison. Fighting ecologists in the name of, say, cost of opportunity, was not enough: now, nothing less than the active embrace of pollution, desecration of landscape, and repeal of environmental protection that has real effect on people's health will suffice.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 22, 2017, 04:03:43 PM
That's all for other public land (BLM, National Forests, etc.).

Nobody grazes in the actual NPs.

The big ones have become kinda crappy now though. Yellowstone+Yosemite are just traffic jams most of the time.

Expansion of National Parks does take land out away from grazing and mining I believe.  Jacob's point stands.

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 22, 2017, 04:04:50 PM
The Republicans have ceased to see these things as symbols, but rather see them as genuine problems, against which all the other, ordinary trappings of an authoritarian state, which they were supposed to despise and oppose, pale in comparison. Fighting ecologists in the name of, say, cost of opportunity, was not enough: now, nothing less than the active embrace of pollution, desecration of landscape, and repeal of environmental protection that has real effect on people's health will suffice.

:rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2017, 04:16:52 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on February 22, 2017, 04:04:50 PM

:rolleyes:

Look up "rolling coal."