News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on February 02, 2017, 03:57:05 PM
The violence and rioting is probably not a great strategic move. Presuming that is part of some kind of charm offensive.

Not that it will matter one bit, but colleagues who teach at Berkeley, and who were at the demonstration, told me it was pretty clear that it was a small organized, outside group who clearly sought to violently disrupt the demonstration. (and no, neither they, nor I are suggesting any sort of conspiracy).
Que le grand cric me croque !

MadImmortalMan

The violence and rioting is probably not a great strategic move. Presuming that is part of some kind of charm offensive.

Provoking it is the whole point of the event. Why go on a speaking tour when you can make a youtube video and get the message to millions of people instead of a hundred? It's an obsolete medium. Nobody can riot a video, though. To get that, you have to physically go.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 02, 2017, 04:08:19 PM

Not that it will matter one bit, but colleagues who teach at Berkeley, and who were at the demonstration, told me it was pretty clear that it was a small organized, outside group who clearly sought to violently disrupt the demonstration. (and no, neither they, nor I are suggesting any sort of conspiracy).

Pity about the President pulling funding to the entire University System then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 02, 2017, 04:09:49 PM

Provoking it is the whole point of the event. Why go on a speaking tour when you can make a youtube video and get the message to millions of people instead of a hundred? It's an obsolete medium. Nobody can riot a video, though. To get that, you have to physically go.

Indeed. Big win for Milo.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on February 02, 2017, 04:03:14 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 02, 2017, 03:58:30 PM
Quote from: PDH on February 02, 2017, 03:40:49 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 02, 2017, 02:48:03 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 02, 2017, 02:41:06 PM
California failed as well.  Cut off federal funding to California.

Now we're talkin'!  :w00t:

According to the Atlantic, California gets back less than a dollar for every dollar sent to the feds...

Spicey now has a Bear Republic Patriot to deal with.

There's an independence movement that I'd back. And we could elect Hil! :w00t:

Win-win :hug:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

It's kind of interesting that we haven't had large numbers of extreme left and right wing groups out in the streets brawling with each other.  There have been scuffles here and there, but with the violence we've seen from the far left and the aggressiveness of the far right one would think they would be having Weimar-style street fights. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

People don't do much human contact these days.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 02, 2017, 04:32:00 PM
It's kind of interesting that we haven't had large numbers of extreme left and right wing groups out in the streets brawling with each other.  There have been scuffles here and there, but with the violence we've seen from the far left and the aggressiveness of the far right one would think they would be having Weimar-style street fights. 

Me to. I figure it is just a matter of time.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

frunk

Wait and see how Trump's EOs work their way through the courts, particularly if Gorsuch ends up being key on a 5-4 decision.

Fate

They don't live next to each other. Hard to have a street fight when you live in an anarchist squatter warehouse in NYC or SF and the Jesus freak end-times militias are in Appalachia.

celedhring

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: garbon on February 01, 2017, 04:17:08 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2017, 04:09:56 PM
QuoteDemocrats care more about whether a Latino woman is suffering "microaggressions" and which bathroom a tranny can use than they did whether a lower income white man can get a good paying job.

The people passing the tranny laws were Republicans in North Carolina. "Microaggressions" is a non-issue outside of college campuses. I see no evidence Democratic politicians are concerning themselves with these kinds of things.

:yes:

Makes for a fun soundbite though.

Anyway, sounds like Dems really just need to encourage, somehow, for their bases to not stick to cities and start colonizing the lesser ahem, Republican states. They've a large base, it is just rather concentrated.

Yeah, surprise surprise the two of you don't see things like a red stater with a side-by-side in his garage does. The bathroom issue was a serious cultural "flash point" for them. The safe space/college nonsense has reverberations way outside of those campuses, and contributes to the red staters viewing Democrats as representative of a foreign, and detestable culture of "pussyfication" (I'm not sure a genteel way of saying it--but trust me the Trump voters probably just call it faggotry.)

There's genuine cultural panic among a large swathe of the majority ethnic group in America. Part of it is from the stagnation of wages, the glacial rebound of wage growth after the 2008 recession, the cultural shock of gay marriage followed up by what they see as "forced acceptance" of something they consider beyond weird (transgender people), and the latent racial panic of increasing numbers of brown and black people in their communities (often manifested in narratives about how welfare programs are just ways for dark-skinned people to work off the taxes they pay out of their pay checks.)

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2017, 04:32:23 PMWell they cannot exactly go economic nationalism or free trade neo-liberalism.

So if they are going to go hard after policies that are going to help the common working man what do you propose? Because ones designed to grow and strengthen the economy just got brutally denounced by Otto, and yourself, as things to avoid.

I think nationally we're in a very bad place now in which the policies that are long term good for our economy and middle class wage growth probably aren't the policies that are going to win you elections. Because any rational economic policy is going to involve free trade, but neither the Berners or the Trumpers have any use for it.