News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: dps on February 01, 2017, 09:57:14 PM
Quit being a jackass about it.  We're talking about Hillary losing NC despite the Democratic candidate for governor (Roy Cooper)winning in a race in which LBGT issues were one of the main things Cooper stressed in his campaign.  Hostility to gays and women can't explain Hillary's loss of NC, even if that explanation somehow makes you feel better about Trump being President.

North Carolina has very liberal cities but a very red countryside, and while it may be blue some day the red votes really are in the majority. McCrory didn't lose because Trump voters cared about trans rights, they won because some of the more moderate Trump voters cared about Cooper being an idiot and pushing the bill through with little discussion and then cost the state hundreds of millions of dollars in outside investment over a topic they didn't think needed legislated on one way or another. And he still barely lost.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 02, 2017, 10:38:48 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 01, 2017, 09:35:10 PM
Apparently the actual draft

Hobby Lobby was the crack in the door where the mantra of "religious freedom" can be used to overturn a century of progress on worker rights and anti-discrimination.  And one of the key players behind that decision?  10th circuit Judge Gorsuch - whose concurring opinion at the appeal's court level was over-the-top loopy.

Not that I've seen, seems like a valid interpretation of the RFRA--which was bad law, but law nonetheless.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 02, 2017, 08:38:59 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 02, 2017, 03:14:00 AM
I guess for some people it is easy to be careless with other people's lives.

The sad thing is that I was thinking last night maybe it's a good thing Trump had to go meet the casket at Dover.  Casualties suck, period, but maybe he'll think a little more about his saber-rattling after he has to look in the eyes of someone whose relative is dead because of his order.

What are you, fucking stoned?  The man has all the emotional empathy of Ted Bundy.  He is a sociopath.

OttoVonBismarck

The UCB protests it's pretty obviously the same sort of 16-20 year old, black mask anarchists who have been doing this stuff at several demonstrations over the past months. They tend to be loosely organized, set things up through the internet, and show up just to break things. Trump spouting off on them isn't to telegraph some serious attempt to go after UCB, I think it's just to draw more attention to them. A big part of the reason we had Nixon was "polite society", while sometimes sympathetic to the protesters of the 1960s (sometimes--a lot of the silent majority just hated the hippies), really hated what they saw as "disorder" and hippies smoking pot and wearing dirty clothes and growing long hair and have rallies really got in people's craw.

America isn't quite as easily triggered today, but the same sort of silent majority American who supported Nixon will get het up about people breaking shit, burning limos, rioting on campuses and etc. The DoJ charged some 200 odd rioters on inauguration day under the riot act, which at least according to the WaPo is fairly unprecedented. I think Trump is gradually paving the way to get really draconian on protesters, and using these asshat black mask teenage douchebags as justification. While I don't believe there's any conspiracy, if these idiots didn't exist, it'd be to Trump's benefit for him to create them.

They clearly are complete failures at their goals if those goals are anti-right, since their shenanigan just got Milo tons of free national media exposure versus the 15 Berkeley students who planned to attend his appearance.

CountDeMoney

C'mon, it was Berkeley.  Even my Dad shrugged.  "Been like that since the 60s."

I'd have more issue if it were a real speaker, I think calling Milo a "conservative commentator" is a bit much.  Coulter is a conservative commentator. Hannity is a conservative commentator.  Milo is a douchebag that deserves every riot he causes.  Fuck him.

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 02, 2017, 05:04:25 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 01, 2017, 04:17:08 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2017, 04:09:56 PM
QuoteDemocrats care more about whether a Latino woman is suffering "microaggressions" and which bathroom a tranny can use than they did whether a lower income white man can get a good paying job.

The people passing the tranny laws were Republicans in North Carolina. "Microaggressions" is a non-issue outside of college campuses. I see no evidence Democratic politicians are concerning themselves with these kinds of things.

:yes:

Makes for a fun soundbite though.

Anyway, sounds like Dems really just need to encourage, somehow, for their bases to not stick to cities and start colonizing the lesser ahem, Republican states. They've a large base, it is just rather concentrated.

Yeah, surprise surprise the two of you don't see things like a red stater with a side-by-side in his garage does. The bathroom issue was a serious cultural "flash point" for them. The safe space/college nonsense has reverberations way outside of those campuses, and contributes to the red staters viewing Democrats as representative of a foreign, and detestable culture of "pussyfication" (I'm not sure a genteel way of saying it--but trust me the Trump voters probably just call it faggotry.)

There's genuine cultural panic among a large swathe of the majority ethnic group in America. Part of it is from the stagnation of wages, the glacial rebound of wage growth after the 2008 recession, the cultural shock of gay marriage followed up by what they see as "forced acceptance" of something they consider beyond weird (transgender people), and the latent racial panic of increasing numbers of brown and black people in their communities (often manifested in narratives about how welfare programs are just ways for dark-skinned people to work off the taxes they pay out of their pay checks.)

Aww, so we just got to create a safe space for these individuals? Fuck that noise. I've no empathy for people who have none for me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 02, 2017, 05:39:06 PM
C'mon, it was Berkeley.  Even my Dad shrugged.  "Been like that since the 60s."

I'd have more issue if it were a real speaker, I think calling Milo a "conservative commentator" is a bit much.  Coulter is a conservative commentator. Hannity is a conservative commentator.  Milo is a douchebag that deserves every riot he causes.  Fuck him.

Indeed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Quote from: garbon on February 02, 2017, 04:03:14 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 02, 2017, 03:58:30 PM
Quote from: PDH on February 02, 2017, 03:40:49 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 02, 2017, 02:48:03 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 02, 2017, 02:41:06 PM
California failed as well.  Cut off federal funding to California.

Now we're talkin'!  :w00t:

According to the Atlantic, California gets back less than a dollar for every dollar sent to the feds...

Spicey now has a Bear Republic Patriot to deal with.

There's an independence movement that I'd back. And we could elect Hil! :w00t:

God no why.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Quote from: katmai on February 02, 2017, 06:20:46 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 02, 2017, 04:03:14 PM

According to the Atlantic, California gets back less than a dollar for every dollar sent to the feds...

There's an independence movement that I'd back. And we could elect Hil! :w00t:

God no why.

Because Trumpistan be holding California back.

Eddie Teach

The clear answer is to annex Canada for more dem electoral votes, not to let California go.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 02, 2017, 06:26:12 PM
The clear answer is to annex Canada for more dem electoral votes, not to let California go.

Why would Canada want to joint the morass? And why would Trump want to add in population who would vote against him?

LaCroix

so today I learned what a health insurance deductible is. $7000 wtf. now i hate obamacare. repeal!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 02, 2017, 05:40:35 PM
Aww, so we just got to create a safe space for these individuals? Fuck that noise. I've no empathy for people who have none for me.

I don't think you need to create a safe space for them.  They just elected their guy president.  That's the problem.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

Quote from: derspiess on February 02, 2017, 04:32:00 PM
It's kind of interesting that we haven't had large numbers of extreme left and right wing groups out in the streets brawling with each other.  There have been scuffles here and there, but with the violence we've seen from the far left and the aggressiveness of the far right one would think they would be having Weimar-style street fights.

Thankfully the Democracts and Republicans don't have vast paramilitary wings of their respective parties.

I wonder what they would look like if they did? :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

PDH

I am a native of California, returned to the homeland -_-
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM