News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on January 30, 2017, 06:46:17 AM
Bannon does seem to be hell-bent on taking over the country using Trump as his puppet, and Trump seems hell-bent on assisting to it.

I think the whole modern democracy thing with checks and balances is going to be put under a proper stress test in the next couple of years.

This is very worrying.

I fear an internal war over Trump between Bannon and Putin.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on January 30, 2017, 07:39:21 AM
Move quickly to do what thought? Just cause damage? Seems like a short time span, isn't enough to fundamentally change lasting things about the gov't or the American people.

I'll confess that i cannot figure out the end game.  I don't know why Trump even ran for an office that will bore him within a few months, or why Bannon left fantasy publishing for a job he knows will end in tears.  It's an administration full of people who are experts at whining and lying, but who lack even the self-awareness to know what they want to do, other than mouthing platitudes about "making America Great" or whatever.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on January 30, 2017, 08:18:57 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 30, 2017, 07:59:20 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 30, 2017, 07:39:21 AM
Quote from: grumbler on January 30, 2017, 07:35:35 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 30, 2017, 07:21:57 AM
Yeah, the Trump administration seems to have chosen the way of most resistance for implementing its agenda. Maybe they hoped to get the bitter pill down quickly so voters had more or less got used to all the shit in 2018?

I think they know that the lifespan of this administration is limited (Trump is a ticking bomb and could say or do something that will force him out in disgrace at any time).  They have to move while they can.

remember, Trump is a pathological liar.  That's gonna catch up to him pretty quickly.

Move quickly to do what thought? Just cause damage? Seems like a short time span, isn't enough to fundamentally change lasting things about the gov't or the American people.

To make America a white-male & christian supremacist state? Maybe even put themselves in power with no term limit.

Your first sentence is exactly the sort of thing that can't happen in a short time span - not if they want it to last past that short period of time.

I don't think they know that. This is just their chance, their only chance to fix everything. No reason to delay, they've been waiting 60 years.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on January 30, 2017, 08:41:24 AM
Power.

Trump craves attention, not power.  Bannon's power is arguably not much greater now than when he was the editor of Breithbart (sp?), given the additional constraints that go with his new job.

And power to do what?  Just exercise power?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 30, 2017, 08:44:56 AM
I don't think they know that. This is just their chance, their only chance to fix everything. No reason to delay, they've been waiting 60 years.

I hope you know how tin-foil-hatty this sounds.  You sound, in fact, just like "them."

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on January 30, 2017, 08:47:19 AM

I hope you know how tin-foil-hatty this sounds.  You sound, in fact, just like "them."

Maybe but that's what Bannon is and 1 week in, the evidence is pilling up fast, no?

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 30, 2017, 08:50:00 AM

Maybe but that's what Bannon is and 1 week in, the evidence is pilling up fast, no?

Bannon is a vague "fixer" and the evidence is that he is "fixing" things that have been broken for more than 60 years?  What is he fixing, and how?

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on January 30, 2017, 08:54:04 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 30, 2017, 08:50:00 AM

Bannon is a vague "fixer" and the evidence is that he is "fixing" things that have been broken for more than 60 years?  What is he fixing, and how?

Steve Bannon is a Neo-Nazi christian supremacist. Yes, civil rights to minority, non-whites. How? By influencing Trumps & gutless Republicans into enacting his agenda.

He is one of those conspirationist that think that the Jewishry & Rockefeller/Rothschild Cabal controls the Western world & this time they do not control the USA.

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on January 30, 2017, 08:45:44 AM
Quote from: Berkut on January 30, 2017, 08:41:24 AM
Power.

Trump craves attention, not power. 

I think you are creating too fine of a distinction between the two.

He is President of the United States. The most powerful human being on the planet.

That comes with a lot of attention. Which of those he values more is interesting, but not important to understanding why he is doing what he is doing.

Bannon's power is arguably not much greater now than when he was the editor of Breithbart (sp?), given the additional constraints that go with his new job.

Whether this is true or not, Bannon clearly thinks he has more power now, or else he would still be riling up the croix and spiceys with his little alt-right wank fest.

The editor of Breitbart gets to hold sway over all the alt-right douchebags, and everyone else thinks he is an asshole, but basically is free to ignore him.

Now, the people who think he is an asshole cannot ignore him. This is the kind of power douchebags like him love. He gets to tell the media to shut up, and it means something. He gets to actually put into action the idiotic bullshit he has been spouting. It will all blow up in his face of course, but who cares? He gets to be the one blowing it up, and he sure as hell could not do that at Breitbart.

The POTUS has real power. Being the guy, for now at least (because that won't last either) who is pulling that guys strings is real power.

And when it all goes to shit, he can simply go on back to Breitbart, likely with even more credibility to spicey and his little acolytes.
And power to do what?  Just exercise power?

Yes.

And to do stuff like "Lets see what happens when we actually ban people from countries I don't like! Won't that be fun! I get to sit in on the NSC! Awesome!"

0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Syt on January 30, 2017, 01:39:35 AM
"this is not a Muslim ban" - it's only a ban on people from evil countries - that happen to be overwhelmingly Muslim - who are not part of a religious minority in that country.
and there are exemptions for Christians of these countries.  Totally not a religious thing.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

His Tweetness:
QuoteIf the ban were announced with a one week notice, the "bad" would rush into our country during that week. A lot of bad "dudes" out there!

Also:
QuoteI have made my decision on who I will nominate for The United States Supreme Court. It will be announced live on Tuesday at 8:00 P.M. (W.H.)
LIVE from Washington - Who Wants To Be A Supreme Court Justice! Tuesday at 8 (9 Central), only on TrumpbartTV!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

He initially announced it for Thursday, I guess he needs to change the news cycle quickly with a suitably scandalous nomination.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on January 30, 2017, 09:21:01 AM
His Tweetness:
QuoteIf the ban were announced with a one week notice, the "bad" would rush into our country during that week. A lot of bad "dudes" out there!

Aye, because getting a visa to travel to the US is matter of a week. Jesus wept.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on January 30, 2017, 09:21:01 AM
only on TrumpbartTV!

Sadly, it will be covered non-stop by all our major news outlets.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?