News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Was surprised to learn from the Economist that currently the US imposes dumping or countervailing duties on 7% of imports from China, the EU on 5%.

jimmy olsen

Outrageous!  :mad:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2016/12/22/mustache_advocacy_group_rails_against_trump_s_alleged_anti_mustache_discrimination.html

QuoteMustache Advocacy Group Rails Against Trump's Alleged Anti-Mustache Discrimination

By Christina Cauterucci

Donald Trump's only measure of a woman's worth is whether or not he wants to have sex with her. For men, the president-elect has a more objective litmus test: facial hair.

The Washington Post reported on Thursday that several Trump underlings thought John R. Bolton's "brush-like mustache" disqualified him from the secretary of state shortlist.

"Donald was not going to like that mustache," one anonymous source told the Post. "I can't think of anyone that's really close to Donald that has a beard that he likes."

This is disturbing to anyone who wants our diplomatic force chosen by merit, not facefeel. But the American Mustache Institute, a very weird website and maybe-organization that advocates for mustachioed people, claims that Trump's bias must be read in the context of a history of discrimination against Americans with lip hair.

"Neither of the major parties has even nominated a Mustached American candidate for President of the United States since Thomas E. Dewey challenged Harry S. Truman," reads a statement posted to the site on Thursday. "Throughout much of his presidential campaign, Donald Trump has preyed on a broad array of fears—vilifying Mexicans, poking fun at the handicapped, misogynistically castigating women and now—perhaps most unsettling—discriminating against people of Mustached American descent." Authors cite a 1991 study that found people believed clean-shaven men were more reliable in certain professions and praise Bolton's "sexually dynamic Mustached American lifestyle."

Bolton, whose bodacious mustache is pretty much the only thing setting his aesthetic apart from the herd of old white men Trump has tapped for his Cabinet, totes clapped back at the haters with a tweet defending his personal grooming, capping off a fine year for intellectual discourse in foreign policy:

John Bolton
✔  ‎@AmbJohnBolton 

I appreciate the grooming advice from the totally unbiased mainstream media, but I will not be shaving my #mustache.

5:46 AM - 23 Dec 2016

The American Mustache Institute maintains that Trump's "orange face and spaghetti squash mane" would disqualify PEOTUS from any position of power with a beauty threshold. "But beyond the esthetic and ongoing pattern of [Trump's] embrace of an alt-right-like pattern of discrimination, the Mustached American community is deeply troubled by a new administration erecting yet another obstacle towards a level playing field for people of Mustached American heritage," the group's statement read. If only people with #mustaches could have mustered such strong condemnations of Trump before the election.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

He should grow a beard to go with the 'stache. #lazy
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 22, 2016, 02:33:20 PM
Was surprised to learn from the Economist that currently the US imposes dumping or countervailing duties on 7% of imports from China, the EU on 5%.

That's why PRC is up in arms about its non-market economy status under its WTO accession terms.  NME status gives more leeway for the US and EU to impose countervailing duties.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 22, 2016, 06:32:52 PM
John Bolton
✔  ‎@AmbJohnBolton 

I appreciate the grooming advice from the totally unbiased mainstream media, but I will not be shaving my #mustache.

5:46 AM - 23 Dec 2016

Et tu Bolton? I guess now every public figure will be tweeting. I learned to hate Twitter a few years ago but damn I had no idea just how bad it was.

I don't get his attack on the "mainstream media" but whatever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 22, 2016, 07:13:20 PM
I don't get his attack on the "mainstream media" but whatever.

No shit.  If you're going to throw food, throw it at the right person.

Eddie Teach

CountDeMoney

Quote    Based on the tremendous cost and cost overruns of the Lockheed Martin F-35, I have asked Boeing to price-out a comparable F-18 Super Hornet!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 22, 2016

Valmy

And Lockheed Martin's stock tanks. Glad we have somebody so friendly to business around.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on December 22, 2016, 07:28:21 PM
And Lockheed Martin's stock tanks. Glad we have somebody so friendly to business around.

:lol:  And Boeing gets some ups after making kissyface over Air Force One, and bending to the God-Emperor's will.

The Minsky Moment

There's a pretty active market for the Super Hornet, it's not like the cost is a state secret.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

The Minsky Moment

Too loud, seats don't recline, they don't serve champagne.
--Joan Robinson