What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: celedhring on December 23, 2016, 05:31:19 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 23, 2016, 05:28:56 AM
I thought I read that celebrities were giving him the cold shoulder with regards to the inauguration?

I read the tweet as "they're not giving me the cold shoulder, it's ME that I want DAH PIPOL instead"

Poor Syt is still reading Trump tweets as if they are stating facts.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on December 23, 2016, 09:38:50 AM
Where can I find odds and lay a bet that Trump will be the first* president to be replaced by the VP, because of declining mental fitness?

* I'm assuming this hasn't happened before?  :bowler:

It hasn't happened before, despite the fact that at least two sitting Presidents suffered from very serious declining mental fitness issues.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 23, 2016, 12:40:23 PM
Where can I find odds and lay a bet that Trump will be the first* president to be replaced by the VP, because of declining mental fitness?

It hasn't happened before, despite the fact that at least two sitting Presidents suffered from very serious declining mental fitness issues.

FDR and Wilson?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 23, 2016, 12:39:02 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 23, 2016, 05:31:19 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 23, 2016, 05:28:56 AM
I thought I read that celebrities were giving him the cold shoulder with regards to the inauguration?

I read the tweet as "they're not giving me the cold shoulder, it's ME that I want DAH PIPOL instead"

Poor Syt is still reading Trump tweets as if they are stating facts.
:(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

What a lovely letter from a dom to his sub. :wub:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on December 23, 2016, 12:48:39 PM

FDR and Wilson?

:huh:

I'd say Reagan would be a better fit, I don't see FDR in the frame, can't comment on Wilson.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Of course you were thinking Reagan, DraftWarMongers.  You never left the Freeze movement.  #WeeniesOnWheels.

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on December 23, 2016, 01:31:26 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 23, 2016, 12:48:39 PM

FDR and Wilson?

:huh:

I'd say Reagan would be a better fit, I don't see FDR in the frame, can't comment on Wilson.

Oh Wilson definitely fits the bill (google and learn), I was more unsure about the other one.  And I was wondering if Minsky was thinking of Reagan, because most of what I've read says that is false (though later in life he did very obviously suffer from Alzheimers).  He may have started to have some memory lapses while in office, but that certainly isn't "very serious declining mental fitness issues".

FDR was more physical decline though.  So maybe some 19th century president.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Lincolns mental capacity dropped sharply in the last part of his presidency.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Wilson and Reagan

Not conclusive proof of the latter but a lot of smoke especially for the second term.  Reread his IC testimony.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 22, 2016, 07:26:23 PM
Quote    Based on the tremendous cost and cost overruns of the Lockheed Martin F-35, I have asked Boeing to price-out a comparable F-18 Super Hornet!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 22, 2016
That'd be great if there was such a thing.  The Super Hornet doesn't compare to the F-35.  It might have been a mistake to use he same aircraft for Navy, Marines and AirForce.  The compromises to be made for VTOL might have been too much of a constraint, and might have contributed to raising the costs.

However, it is the most electronically advanced aircraft out there.  The F-18E would lose to any 5th Generation fighter, technically, it's considered a generation 4.5, and a stop gap measure by the Navy while waiting for the F-35.

In any case, I don't think the Airforce can wait any longer for a decent replacement to its F-15 and F-16.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: viper37 on December 23, 2016, 02:34:58 PM
\ The F-18E would lose to any 5th Generation fighter, technically, it's considered a generation 4.5, and a stop gap measure by the Navy while waiting for the F-35.

We don't need to win dogfights, we have nuclear weapons.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on December 23, 2016, 01:41:17 PM

FDR had eleven martinis a day. He couldn't have been in top form most of the time.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on December 23, 2016, 02:34:58 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 22, 2016, 07:26:23 PM
Quote    Based on the tremendous cost and cost overruns of the Lockheed Martin F-35, I have asked Boeing to price-out a comparable F-18 Super Hornet!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 22, 2016
That'd be great if there was such a thing.  The Super Hornet doesn't compare to the F-35.  It might have been a mistake to use he same aircraft for Navy, Marines and AirForce.  The compromises to be made for VTOL might have been too much of a constraint, and might have contributed to raising the costs.

However, it is the most electronically advanced aircraft out there.  The F-18E would lose to any 5th Generation fighter, technically, it's considered a generation 4.5, and a stop gap measure by the Navy while waiting for the F-35.

His tweet wasn't even about all that.  It was about kicking Lockheed in the nuts a bit in public, and rewarding Boeing with a market bounce for saying they'd play ball over Air Force One costs after he dinged them last week.  Caesar rewards as well as punishes.

QuoteIn any case, I don't think the Airforce can wait any longer for a decent replacement to its F-15 and F-16.

Luckily, the F-22 is still best thing flying out there.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 23, 2016, 02:43:36 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 23, 2016, 01:41:17 PM

FDR had eleven martinis a day. He couldn't have been in top form most of the time.

Well, at least he never had to worry about being a fall-down drunk.