What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: dps on December 25, 2016, 04:59:37 AM
Quote from: The Brain on December 25, 2016, 04:13:08 AM
Quote from: Berkut on December 23, 2016, 01:47:21 PM
Lincolns mental capacity dropped sharply in the last part of his presidency.

Too soon.

I remember Johnny Carson telling a Lincoln assassination joke on The Tonight Show about 30 years ago, and the studio audience actually booed.  Johnny just looked at Ed McMahon and said, "Make a note to the writers--no Lincoln jokes.  It's still too soon".

Yeah, he's sort of like a secular saint in the US or at least parts of it?

America's 'Joan of Arc'? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

The least offensive thing he's posted all year?

Donald J. Trump 
@realDonaldTrump    
#MerryChristmas pic.twitter.com/5GgDmJrGMS
4:46 AM - 25 Dec 2016

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

LaCroix

Berkut

Quote from: mongers on December 25, 2016, 09:44:16 AM
Quote from: dps on December 25, 2016, 04:59:37 AM
Quote from: The Brain on December 25, 2016, 04:13:08 AM
Quote from: Berkut on December 23, 2016, 01:47:21 PM
Lincolns mental capacity dropped sharply in the last part of his presidency.

Too soon.

I remember Johnny Carson telling a Lincoln assassination joke on The Tonight Show about 30 years ago, and the studio audience actually booed.  Johnny just looked at Ed McMahon and said, "Make a note to the writers--no Lincoln jokes.  It's still too soon".

Yeah, he's sort of like a secular saint in the US or at least parts of it?

America's 'Joan of Arc'? :unsure:

I was answering security questions for a HR website with the new job, and one of the options was picking my favorite US President.

I was a real toss up between Lincoln and Jefferson...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on December 25, 2016, 11:11:52 AM
I was answering security questions for a HR website with the new job, and one of the options was picking my favorite US President.

I was a real toss up between Lincoln and Jefferson...

Jefferson?  Really?  Was this because of the fact that he sold off his own children as slaves, or in spite of the fact that he sold off his own children as slaves?

Not to mention the fact that he really was a pretty crappy president, whose vision for the country's future was absurd.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Lincoln? Really? Is that despite of the fact that he was an incorrigible racist who wanted to colonize the Dominican Republic as a homeland for US blacks after they were freed so they wouldn't live here? Or was it because he was a tyrannical war criminal who violated the civil rights of millions of Americans like habeas corpus in order to maintain an iron grip on political power?

Not to mention he was a pretty crappy president, whose vision for the country was a protectionist nightmare filled with rampant corporate welfare and extensive abuse of eminent domain to benefit rich railroaders.

:P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Larch

Was it posted already that Trump is dissolving his foundation?

QuoteDonald Trump to dissolve his charitable foundation after mounting complaints
President-elect released statement saying he would dissolve Trump Foundation to avoid 'even the appearance of any conflict with my role as President'

Donald Trump announced on Saturday that he will shut down his charitable foundation, a response to mounting complaints over conflicts related to the president-elect's charitable and business interests.

In a statement released by his campaign, Trump said the Donald J Trump Foundation would be "dissolved" to avoid "even the appearance of any conflict with my role as President".

Trump said he would continue to pursue his "strong interest in philanthropy" in other ways.

The closure of the Trump Foundation, which was first reported by the New York Times, requires the approval of the New York attorney general's office, which is currently investigating the nonprofit and issued a cease and desist order to it in October.

The Donald J Trump Foundation was repeatedly the subject of controversy throughout the presidential campaign after a series of investigations by the Washington Post's David Fahrenthold. Trump reportedly used $258,000 of the foundation's money to pay for personal legal settlements. He also spent charitable funds on multiple portraits of himself and on a football helmet autographed by Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow.

The foundation also made a donation to a political group supporting Florida attorney general Pam Bondi, a longtime Trump backer in violation of tax law. The president-elect has since paid $2,500 to the Internal Revenue Service over the donation.

Trump had not donated to his own foundation since 2008; the nonprofit relied on donations from other Trump associates, including professional wrestling magnates Vince and Linda McMahon, who gave $5m to the Trump Foundation. Linda McMahon has since been announced as Trump's nominee to lead the Small Business Administration.

The decision also comes as Trump's children have been under scrutiny for charitable efforts that raised questions over whether people were paying for access to the incoming president and his family.

A celebrity auction for a coffee date with Ivanka Trump, sponsored by Eric Trump's charity, was called off earlier in December because donors were apparently given an attempt to curry favor with the incoming president and buy access to one of his closest advisers.

Both Eric and his brother, Don Jr, were also scheduled to appear at a reception on behalf of conservation charities over the weekend of the inauguration. The reception, which has since been canceled, reportedly promised the opportunity to meet the president-elect in exchange for $1m in donations.

These issues have come as Trump's entire real estate business has come under scrutiny for potential conflicts of interest. In particular, Trump's international properties have the potential to violate the emoluments clause of the constitution, which prohibits anyone holding "an office of profit or trust" from accepting "any present, emolument, office, or title, of any kind whatever, from any king, prince or foreign state". But these conflicts also apply domestically, as the Kuwaiti government has already announced that it is shifting its annual party in February to Trump's new hotel in Washington.

The issues are further amplified because the Trump Organization is a privately held corporation and the president-elect has flouted longstanding tradition in not releasing his tax returns. The result is that there is no clear way to know what assets and liabilities Trump has. It is known, though, that Trump owes $364m to Deutsche Bank.

A news conference that the president-elect promised to hold on the topic on 15 December has since been postponed until sometime in January 2017.

CountDeMoney

It's not like it did very much anyway.  Charity-wise, that is.

Syt

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/24/politics/trump-says-hell-dissolve-foundation/index.html

Quote[...]

And an ongoing investigation launched by Schneiderman over allegations Trump used the charity to settle private legal disputes in which he was involved may prevent Trump from shuttering the foundation.

"The Trump Foundation is still under investigation by this office and cannot legally dissolve until that investigation is complete," Amy Spitalnick, the attorney general's press secretary, said in an email. She also confirmed the foundation's fundraising activities "remain suspended."

[...]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Get ready for that 3:00 AM tweet, Amy.  :lol:  SO SAD

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Making more humans isn't really how you do that.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 26, 2016, 12:00:12 PM
Making more humans isn't really how you do that.

I made a contribution in your name.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney