News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: LaCroix on December 13, 2016, 03:31:47 PM
as secretary of state, something he does or a pattern of behavior that concretely suggests his motivation isn't to further US interests, or something like that

I dunno, something something congress? convince trump his sos is a Bad Man?

So the plan is to wait until he openly and fragrantly harms US national interest, at which point we put our faith in Trump to close the barn door after the fact.

Not my preferred plan.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: celedhring on December 13, 2016, 08:43:45 AM
Do cabinet nominations ever get rejected? Honest question. And with a Senate dominated by the president's party, at that.

Rarely.  The most famous recent example is John Tower, but in that case the Democrats controlled the Senate.  Tower had recently been a Senator himself and made himself unpopular with many colleagues.  That said, I think the rejection is widely regarded as a mistake.

A little more common is for appointments to be withdrawn before confirmation: that happened with the AG "nannygate" appointments of Zoe Baird and Kimba Wood in the 90s

Generally the idea is that the President has the right to name the people he wants and only very unusual circumstances would merit a rejection.  Trump is doing is best to test the edges of that traditional view with some of these picks though. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Alcibiades

Quote from: Caliga on December 12, 2016, 09:42:02 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on December 10, 2016, 07:10:59 AM
So far no Rudy, no Christie and no Newt in the Trump administration.  :hmm:

Nimble navigator.
Trump enjoys betraying people, just like he's going to betray all of the dumb idiots who voted for him. :)

:yes:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Jacob

Quote from: Alcibiades on December 13, 2016, 04:13:09 PM
Quote from: Caliga on December 12, 2016, 09:42:02 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on December 10, 2016, 07:10:59 AM
So far no Rudy, no Christie and no Newt in the Trump administration.  :hmm:

Nimble navigator.
Trump enjoys betraying people, just like he's going to betray all of the dumb idiots who voted for him. :)

:yes:

Going to be a fair bit of that going around...

QuoteThis Trump voter didn't think Trump was serious about repealing her health insurance

CORBIN, Kentucky — Why would people vote for a presidential candidate who campaigned on taking away their health insurance?

Last week, we went to Corbin, Kentucky, to try to answer that question. It's a small city in southeastern Kentucky, an area of the country that has seen huge declines in its uninsured rate — but also voted overwhelmingly for Trump.

You can read more about what we learned there in this story, but we also wanted to give you the transcripts of the conversations we had so the people we talked to could speak for themselves.

Debbie Mills is a 53-year-old furniture store owner in Bell County, an area of the state right on the Tennessee border. Earlier this year, doctors discovered that her husband has non-alcoholic cirrhosis. He now needs a transplant if he's going to survive. Mills and her husband keep a bag packed, waiting for the doctors to call with news that a liver is available.

This all means that Mills really, really needs her health insurance. And she's very grateful for the Affordable Care Act, because she couldn't afford insurance before it was passed.

And yet she voted for Donald Trump. Until we spoke, she said she hadn't taken Trump's repeal threats seriously. As we talked, she started to process what his election might mean for her family's future.

Here's that conversation, edited for clarity and length.

http://www.vox.com/2016/12/13/13901874/obamacare-trump-voter-health-insurance-repeal

CountDeMoney

Chop don't want no help, chop don't get no help.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

P.S. "non-alcoholic cirrhosis" is code for percocet abuse, right?  Edit: ok, fine, contraindicated cholesterol medication.  Luckily for my disdain, that's still playing into a stereotype.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Or, maybe, just a broken liver.  Oh well. #ThemsTheBreaksKid

katmai

Am I suppose to feel bad for people who don't pay attention to the candidates they vote for have been advocating? :unsure:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Well, they certainly showed the negro and the bitch, now didn't they.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 13, 2016, 03:37:59 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 13, 2016, 03:35:37 PM
Who's his Secretary of Slate?

Well, considering some of his other appointments, garbon might be a good fit for that position.  ;)

Garbon is black, gay, and not reactionary. 3 things that seem to be a poor fit for any Trump cabinet position.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

Quote from: katmai on December 13, 2016, 04:35:27 PM
Am I suppose to feel bad for people who don't pay attention to the candidates they vote for have been advocating? :unsure:

Well... I suppose you could feel sorry that they've been brought up to lack important critical thinking tools.

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on December 13, 2016, 04:46:33 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 13, 2016, 03:37:59 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 13, 2016, 03:35:37 PM
Who's his Secretary of Slate?

Well, considering some of his other appointments, garbon might be a good fit for that position.  ;)

Garbon is black, gay, and not reactionary. 3 things that seem to be a poor fit for any Trump cabinet position.

Oooh, I might be qualified.