And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on December 13, 2016, 05:18:05 PM
I am seriously beginning to wonder what mind-control juice Trump was handing out during the election. It's like these people didn't hear anything he said at all.
That juice is called bigotry.  People generally don't get brainwashed out of nowhere.  They usually get brainwashed when someone reaches into their deeply held fears, which is where the "off" switch for critical thinking is located.  Everyone has that off switch somewhere, but usually appealing to intolerance of some kind lets you shut off the biggest number of brains for the least effort.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: derspiess on December 13, 2016, 07:18:20 PM
Quote from: dps on December 13, 2016, 04:56:55 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 13, 2016, 04:46:33 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 13, 2016, 03:37:59 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 13, 2016, 03:35:37 PM
Who's his Secretary of Slate?

Well, considering some of his other appointments, garbon might be a good fit for that position.  ;)

Garbon is black, gay, and not reactionary. 3 things that seem to be a poor fit for any Trump cabinet position.

Oooh, I might be qualified.   

I bet I'm reactionarier than you :contract:

Probably so.  That's what makes me "might be qualified".

But seriously, I don't consider Trump a reactionary, or even a conservative.  He's more of an opportunist than anything, but we're going to assign him an ideology, his -ism is egoism.

jimmy olsen

:lol:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/12/13/rick-perry-will-really-run-the-department-of-nukes-not-energy.html

Quotein recent years, the trend has been to appoint a Secretary of Energy with real technical expertise. President Bush appointed Samuel Bodman, who had a distinguished career as an MIT-trained chemical engineer before making a fortune in the private sector. President Obama upped the ante, appointing Berkeley's Steven Chu and MIT's Ernest Moniz to the position. Both are physicists. Chu has a Nobel Prize. By contrast, Perry took four chemistry courses and got two Cs, a D and an F. He got a C in physics. And a D in something called "Meat."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Archy

So he doesn't even known a Texas steak when he sees it, if he did bad on meat :glare:

Syt

So, if Trump isn't attending the briefings by the U.S. intelligence services, is he at least attending his regular FSB briefings?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 14, 2016, 03:50:11 AM
:lol:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/12/13/rick-perry-will-really-run-the-department-of-nukes-not-energy.html

Quotein recent years, the trend has been to appoint a Secretary of Energy with real technical expertise. President Bush appointed Samuel Bodman, who had a distinguished career as an MIT-trained chemical engineer before making a fortune in the private sector. President Obama upped the ante, appointing Berkeley's Steven Chu and MIT's Ernest Moniz to the position. Both are physicists. Chu has a Nobel Prize. By contrast, Perry took four chemistry courses and got two Cs, a D and an F. He got a C in physics. And a D in something called "Meat."

He was a Corps Turd at A&M so of course he took lots of bullshit ag courses.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 13, 2016, 05:14:59 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on December 13, 2016, 05:05:51 PM
yes, as is the plan with any nominee accepted into a position. I mean, anyone has the potential to openly and fragrantly harm US national interests, but it doesn't make much sense to bar everyone before they have the chance to do it. some (almost every if not every) won't actually do it

Not everyone has giant red flags going in. 
A recent personal award from a hostile foreign government is a bad indicator for a SoS.   That just seems very obvious.

not everyone does, absolutely, but my stance is to give him a shot. some credible people recommended him for the position--it's not like he's some shadowy figure no one knows about who happens to have ties with putin.

as for the order of friendship thing, I think it's meaningless. putin clearly wanted tillerson to be on friendly terms and gave him the award hoping to maintain good relations. putin's awarding it to tillerson says more about putin's interests than tillerson's.

right now the only evidence we've got against tillerson is a prior connection to russia/putin. I'm not convinced that's enough to accuse him of being a russian puppet or whatever it is he's accused of being

Valmy

QuoteI'm not convinced that's enough to accuse him of being a russian puppet or whatever it is he's accused of being

What is it enough to do?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: LaCroix on December 14, 2016, 09:37:36 AM
right now the only evidence we've got against tillerson is a prior connection to russia/putin. I'm not convinced that's enough to accuse him of being a russian puppet or whatever it is he's accused of being

There's also the issue that he lacks relevant experience for the position.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2016, 09:41:49 AM
QuoteI'm not convinced that's enough to accuse him of being a russian puppet or whatever it is he's accused of being

What is it enough to do?

raise an eyebrow probably. for reporters, maybe look into things. for conspiracy theorists, use as further proof trump receives orders from master putin

LaCroix

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 14, 2016, 09:43:29 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on December 14, 2016, 09:37:36 AM

There's also the issue that he lacks relevant experience for the position.

sure, that's probably legit, assuming all past competent SOS had significantly more experience than tillerson

Eddie Teach

I don't know about all, but Kerry, Clinton, Rice and Powell all did.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

that's why I said all  :P

at the end of the day, though, lack of inexperience in a position like this should raise concern, but it's not the worst thing ever. we've had presidents who've lacked experience