Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on December 02, 2016, 11:45:40 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on December 02, 2016, 11:44:35 AM
Quote from: Siege on December 02, 2016, 11:36:03 AM
No comments on Mad Dog Mattis confirmed as Secretary of Defense?

Appointed; I learned from NPR that he'll need a special waiver from Congress in order to be confirmed, since he left the military less than seven years ago and is being appointed to a senior position.  Democrats could hypothetically block that waiver with a filibuster. 

Would they have a reason to?

Only been done once, for General George C. Marshall, and that was for Truman during the Korean War.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/kirsten-gillibrand-mattis-waiver-232099

Savonarola

Quote from: Siege on December 02, 2016, 11:45:46 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on December 02, 2016, 11:44:35 AM

Appointed; I learned from NPR that he'll need a special waiver from Congress in order to be confirmed, since he left the military less than seven years ago and is being appointed to a senior position.  Democrats could hypothetically block that waiver with a filibuster. 

You listen to NPR???

:o

Don't worry, I also read the Victor Davis Hanson columns on NRO.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 02, 2016, 11:49:20 AM
From what I understand Mattis is quite popular among both Democrats and Republicans alike, and the stories coming out about him make him sound pretty intelligent and reasonable.

I know nothing about him, though, so this could be just LOL LAMESTREAM MEDIA LMAOOO

Yeah typically the Secretary of Defense is a fairly unpolitical military man both sides respect. I mean unless it is Donald Rumsfeld.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on December 02, 2016, 11:46:31 AM
Quote from: Siege on December 02, 2016, 11:45:46 AM
You listen to NPR???

:o

Those deep velvety public radio voices are relaxing.

That they are.  My favorite is Robert Siegel who (like many DJs) is in love with the sound of his own voice so much so that he'll hang on to the last syllable of words; yet talks in the NPR drone.  It's a bizarre combination.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

No, but you're banned for spamming.

Gonna need a waiver for that.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 02, 2016, 11:50:37 AM
Seigy post the stupid Facebook shit in the stupid Facebook shit thread, please.

Posts deleted.  Like his brain.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on December 02, 2016, 10:42:04 AM
Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2016, 10:28:15 AM
In regards to what you bolded, I am not arguing that the ship is in fact sinking.

Just that the changes we have made are not adequate to argue the claim that if the ship were sinking, we could fix it under the current structure.

Oh, I see. Fair enough but yeah as you say that's been a general issues across gov'ts and time. Only rarely has large overhaul been able to take place without violence and other negative forms of upheaval.

Exactly, I don't think this is unique to the US by any means.

I don't think the US has solved the problem either - rather we came up with a structure that was, honestly, much much better than what came before, such that the system itself has worked rather well. But it's basic inflexibility is still there.

I liken this to science. For a long time, it was really damn hard to get people to shift their thinking on the state of nature, because we lacked the framework to evaluate and select competing theories. So change was very hard. But since the Renaissance, we've developed this framework for how to evaluate claims about nature that works really, really well to help us choose between competing theories, and implement them into our systems and lives in a manner that doesn't require radical change...mostly.

We don't have any kind of similar framework when it comes to competing social or political structures. There really isn'y any way to try out and measure different ideas for social and political organization and then see what works and what does not, that doesn't seem to involve killing a lot of people before, during, or after the process.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Siege
Dude you really need to stop believing what the mainstream media tells you.
Demonizing your political enemies are the oldest trick in the hat.

Irony much?

You need to stop believing in something as silly as the idea that there is a "mainstream media" with some kind of agenda to fool people.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2016, 12:02:53 PM
You need to stop believing in something as silly as the idea that there is a "mainstream media" with some kind of agenda to fool people.

I never understood the hostility towards an open and liberal (little "l") media, one that acts as both an advocate for us, and as a counterbalance with the government.

The other options are: the state itself, the state's faux mouthpieces such as Pravda, or nothing.  Really don't see why people would prefer these instead.

celedhring

Spanish media are going nuts, apparently they are taking his surname literally and assume that "Perro Loco" is some kind of trigger happy general. But the few things I have read about him sound okay.

CountDeMoney

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2016, 09:13:33 AM
What does upstate New York and New York City have in common politically, economically, or demographically such that it makes sense to include both in the same political body? Absolutely nothing that I can think of.

They both hosted Dutch settlers 350 years ago
Meanwhile, I've spent much of my life in a relatively small compact area that is fully integrated economically, socially, and shares vital transport links and yet is split between 3 different state governments.  Which can be a problem say when 1 of the governors decides to be a dick and blocks off a bridge.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2016, 11:58:54 AM
Exactly, I don't think this is unique to the US by any means.

I don't think the US has solved the problem either - rather we came up with a structure that was, honestly, much much better than what came before, such that the system itself has worked rather well. But it's basic inflexibility is still there.

I liken this to science. For a long time, it was really damn hard to get people to shift their thinking on the state of nature, because we lacked the framework to evaluate and select competing theories. So change was very hard. But since the Renaissance, we've developed this framework for how to evaluate claims about nature that works really, really well to help us choose between competing theories, and implement them into our systems and lives in a manner that doesn't require radical change...mostly.

We don't have any kind of similar framework when it comes to competing social or political structures. There really isn'y any way to try out and measure different ideas for social and political organization and then see what works and what does not, that doesn't seem to involve killing a lot of people before, during, or after the process.

Some people probably think the Scientific Method is too inflexible for the same reason as our political system. Not allowed to adopt my pet theory without all this pesky evidence and experimentation? Nobody got time for that.

I think most people are impatient by nature.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

OttoVonBismarck

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.