News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 16, 2016, 01:59:54 AM
I was wondering if the Bobby Kennedy rule was a law, looked it up, turns out it's not.
According to this, it is a law.
Since Robert F. Kennedy became the Attorney General during President Kennedy's administration, he was the last person to have served under his own brother's presidency. After that laws (e.g., 5 US Code § 3110) have prevented such a thing to happen again.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: viper37 on November 16, 2016, 01:05:31 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 16, 2016, 01:59:54 AM
I was wondering if the Bobby Kennedy rule was a law, looked it up, turns out it's not.
According to this, it is a law.
Since Robert F. Kennedy became the Attorney General during President Kennedy's administration, he was the last person to have served under his own brother's presidency. After that laws (e.g., 5 US Code § 3110) have prevented such a thing to happen again.

It's not clear that is a constitutional limitation for a cabinet level officer.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

More fun stuff to look out for:

Maybe it's alarmism and everything will be fine, but it's probably worth keeping an eye out.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Oexmelin

Quote from: Jacob on November 16, 2016, 01:28:22 PM
Maybe it's alarmism and everything will be fine, but it's probably worth keeping an eye out.

I'd rather take bigots, racists, crazies and assorted trumpists and their words, prepared accordingly, and be pleasantly relieved at their incompetence or venality, than brush it aside and hope "the system" gets rid of them, or that it just couldn't happen. Exhibit A: Trump. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 16, 2016, 01:41:56 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 16, 2016, 01:28:22 PM

I'd rather take bigots, racists, crazies and assorted trumpists and their words, prepared accordingly, and be pleasantly relieved at their incompetence or venality, than brush it aside and hope "the system" gets rid of them, or that it just couldn't happen. Exhibit A: Trump.

He and Bannon have a real problem with the intelligence community, both in the US and in Europe, as it does not fit the Breitbart/InfoWars/RT conspiracy model.  That is a problem.

Jacob

Yeah, that's where I'm at too - but at the same time there is a left-flavoured version of the "outrage for clicks" industry going. I think the Trump administration denied that guy I just quoted is part of the transition team. At the same time, the so-called alt-right side is practically ejaculating in their pants proposing all kinds of shenangians, so there are things that people say that may be their dream scenario but whether they actually have any pull with Trump is unclear.

Basically, there's a lot of noise to signal right now and while it's definitely important to be aware of bad things happening, it's not ideal to go off at stuff that's pure noise either.

FunkMonk

I may be going out on a huge limb here, guys, but this administration is increasingly looking like it will be woefully incompetent. Hard to believe, I know.

I sure hope our rivals and enemies around the globe won't take advantage of us!
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 16, 2016, 01:51:57 PM
I may be going out on a huge limb here, guys, but this administration is increasingly looking like it will be woefully incompetent. Hard to believe, I know.

The fuck do you care, your bureau is going to be pushed into the Department of Winning, keeping track of Melania's and Ivanka's merchandise metrics.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 16, 2016, 01:55:18 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on November 16, 2016, 01:51:57 PM

The fuck do you care, your bureau is going to be pushed into the Department of Winning, keeping track of Melania's and Ivanka's merchandise metrics.

I've got Ivanka's. Believe me, folks. I've got it.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

viper37

There's a difference between taking them at their word and organizing a coup though. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Larch

According to Gringrich it seems that the promise to build the wall was a "campaign device".  :lol: