And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on May 09, 2017, 03:36:56 PM
:rolleyes:

I would love for someone to explain exactly what these shenanigans my countryment are accused of.  Every time I've looked at the issue I couldn't see any.

Charging a below market stumpage fee for trees cut on public land, which has the effect of a production subsidy.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 09, 2017, 03:46:46 PM

I would love for someone to explain exactly what these shenanigans my countryment are accused of.  Every time I've looked at the issue I couldn't see any.

Charging a below market stumpage fee for trees cut on public land, which has the effect of a production subsidy.

What's "below market"?  My understanding is that stumpage fees are auctioned off.

Edit: just so I don't look like a total homer, go ahead and complain all you want about our egg and dairy "supply management" system, because that's totally protectionist.

Edit 2: I appear to be incorrect about auction.  Which makes sense as there's a lot of infrsstructure involved and unlikely to be multiple bidders for any given region.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on May 09, 2017, 03:52:27 PM
What's "below market"?  My understanding is that stumpage fees are auctioned off.

Edit: just so I don't look like a total homer, go ahead and complain all you want about our egg and dairy "supply management" system, because that's totally protectionist.

Why would you auction off the fees?  :P

That's what I recall.  Can't be arsed to research it right now.

And in a similar non-homer vein, the US BLM clearly charges below market grazing fees.

HVC

Hasn't the WTO sides with Canada like twice now?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on May 09, 2017, 04:02:16 PM

I think there were three rulings, all favorable to Canada, but AFAIK none of the rulings ever said "this is not a subsidy."

Going just off of memory, I think the first two concerned an incorrect calculation by the US of the size of the subsidy.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 09, 2017, 04:17:15 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 09, 2017, 04:02:16 PM

I think there were three rulings, all favorable to Canada, but AFAIK none of the rulings ever said "this is not a subsidy."

Going just off of memory, I think the first two concerned an incorrect calculation by the US of the size of the subsidy.

1 ruling was in favour of the US.
Some said there were no subsidies.
Most said it could be interpreted as a subsidy, but it is not affecting the sale prices to the US, other factors are (lower costs of productions, lower CAN$ value).

Most wood is chopped way north of the most populous areas.  Often in places where there are no roads to access the spot and they need to be built by the corporations who are cutting the lumber, sometimes even on ice-bridges that are only accessible during the deep winter.  Also, wood is growing much slower than in the US here.  If it takes 40 years for a forest to regenerate, that is not the same output as a forest wich requires 20 years to attain maturity.  Then, there's density.  If I can get 100 cords by square miles, it's not the same price as if I can get 50 cords by square miles.

Hence the favourable rulings for Canada.

Right now, your US dept of commerce is taxing US imports as a Canadian product because it's sold by a Canadian company.  So it really is not about "illegal subsidy", otherwise, they are admitting that they are the ones subsidizing their lumber industry, like Oregon.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

viper37

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 09, 2017, 03:31:13 PM
Worst living President Jimmy Carter penned an op-ed today agreeing with Trump's decision to go after Canadian softwood lumber. This puts me in a bind, because I reflexively hate anything Carter does, but Canada's softwood lumber shenanigans have been on my list of major offenses by Canada against the United States for many years.

they can't, and they won't.  It's like the 40% unemployment rate and the worst homicide rate in 47 years.

Admiral Yi

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on May 09, 2017, 03:52:27 PM

Can you elaborate about this, because while it's been a while, my impression is that supply management is the opposite of protectionist as I understand that term. Supply management artificially inflates the cost of certain goods to support the suppliers of that industry at the expense of the consumers.

Somewhat anecdotal, but I recall when NAFTA was being negotiated there was a lot of gloom and doom about how free trade would wipe out supply management because the US would flood the market with cheap eggs, dairy and poultry.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 09, 2017, 04:54:57 PM
Whoah!  That's a big fucking deal.

Wonder if he'll get photoshopped out of all the government photos.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.