What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 08, 2017, 12:34:17 PM
Except if I'm reading Berkut's post correctly, he's asserting that the removal en masse of good students is what's making the school crappy in the first place, making it a vicious cycle that should be remedied by increasing retention of good students.

That's true, and I mostly agree with it, but my point was addressed to derspiess.  If fairness is used as a standard, crappy schools are monumentally unfair to most of its students not just the smart and courteous.

celedhring

I went to a charter school, since both my parents went to public schools and had a very negative view of them (none of them went to college). Crucifix in every classroom and a chapel, but no praying or religion-pushing.

Favorite past-time was to turn the crucifix upside down before the most conservative teachers came in.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

It's not a compelling argument for parents to tell them keeping their kids in the crappy school will make the school less crappy.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jacob

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 08, 2017, 03:22:07 PM
It's not a compelling argument for parents to tell them keeping their kids in the crappy school will make the school less crappy.

That's true.

Still, it does seem like the idea of turning crappy schools into good schools gets basically no consideration whatsoever which seems a bit of a pity to me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on February 08, 2017, 03:24:01 PM
Still, it does seem like the idea of turning crappy schools into good schools gets basically no consideration whatsoever which seems a bit of a pity to me.

You can't be serious.  There's an entire education industry out there that churns out study after study on nothing but this topic.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2017, 03:31:21 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 08, 2017, 03:24:01 PM

You can't be serious.  There's an entire education industry out there that churns out study after study on nothing but this topic.
Yeah, I can't understand why Canadians don't do this as well.  The problem isn't lack of plans on how to improve, it is lack of agreement on what plan would be most politically acceptable and still somewhat effective. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 08, 2017, 03:22:07 PM

There is no compelling argument for crappy schools, period.  But there is a strong lobby for keeping shitty schools because of the number of people they emply (who might not be employable at a better school).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zoupa

Quote from: LaCroix on February 07, 2017, 08:22:01 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 07, 2017, 08:12:14 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on February 07, 2017, 08:08:54 PM
the only reason the vote was close was because two R moderates voted against her. devos shares some pretty widely held republican views

Yeah, we know, asshole.  I'm talking about Republicans that couldn't let their testicles descend long enough to shitcan somebody who demonstrated how fucking stupid she actually is. 

And no, she doesn't share some pretty widely held Republican views, it's that most Republicans share some elements of her views;  she's the stone-cold one-issue ideologue, not them.

they probably agreed with her views or had constituents who agreed with her views. a lot of the attack on her are fun soundbites, but she's been involved in her reform movement for a long time. I haven't read much about her, but I doubt she's as bad as what lots of democtats have said. (I say democtats because I have literally not read a single complaint from a republican on social media, etc)

Color me surprised. So for the last few pages you've just been shooting the shit, arguing for the fun of it and just being an ignorant little twat?

Why don't do us all a favour and shut the fuck up for a couple of days. Give your Doritos crusted keyboard a rest.

Zoupa

Valmy

Yeah I don't know what got into that guy. I thought he was an interesting poster before he went full troll.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on February 08, 2017, 11:27:46 AM
On the other hand, is it fair to keep well-performing, well-behaved students in crappy schools?

The problem though is that in a lot of ways, the school isn't crappy.

What is crappy is the population of students, and how the expectations around them. If you take out the high achievers, then yes, you will end up with a even crappier school (or rather an even crappier population).

The real solution is to figure out a way to break up the segregation of these populations into low achieving groups and high achieving groups.

Study after study has shown that when you take a low expectation population, and move them into a high expectation environment, results improve dramatically. And the even better part is that there isn't a measurable decrease in the results for the existing population - they still continue to perform at a high level.

Of course, that means some kind of actual re-de-segregation. And I am not sure how to make that work.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on February 08, 2017, 04:20:23 PMYeah, I can't understand why Canadians don't do this as well.  The problem isn't lack of plans on how to improve, it is lack of agreement on what plan would be most politically acceptable and still somewhat effective.

My impression is that the underlying issue is a lack of will to commit resources (and by that I mean, more money) to improving crappy schools. I could be misinformed, however.

I'd think that hiring more teachers (to make class sizes smaller, also helping with teacher burnout and stress), hiring more special programs staff (support both for more advanced students, for those who need extra help), school based help to counter the worst obstacles to learning that poor students experience (school lunches, behavioural counselling et. al.) would go a fair bit to improve crappy schools.

But yeah, you and Yi are right - I'm not surprised by the lack of plans. As you say, there are many studies and plans and so on. What surprises me - but perhaps I shouldn't be - is the fact that plans involving committing more resources to improve crappy schools are so politically unacceptable as to mostly absent from the debates on the subject.