News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2017, 08:47:05 AM
The coverage about Trump in the New York Times has been FALSE and ANGRY. The New York Times has failed again and again. So sad!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/30/us/politics/obama-trump-protections-lgbt-workers.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

QuoteObama's Protections for L.G.B.T. Workers Will Remain Under Trump

WASHINGTON — The White House said on Monday that President Trump would leave in place a 2014 Obama administration order that created new workplace protections for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

In a statement issued in response to growing questions about whether Mr. Trump would reverse the Obama order, the White House said the president was proud to embrace gay rights.

"President Trump continues to be respectful and supportive of L.G.B.T.Q. rights, just as he was throughout the election," the statement said. "The president is proud to have been the first ever G.O.P. nominee to mention the L.G.B.T.Q. community in his nomination acceptance speech, pledging then to protect the community from violence and oppression."

The decision to keep the order, the statement added, was Mr. Trump's. It uses stronger language than any Republican president has before in favor of equal legal protections for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people, though that is not likely to quiet Mr. Trump's critics on the left.

The move could also anger conservatives who had hoped a Republican president would end some socially liberal policies.

While Mr. Trump remains opposed to the right of same-sex couples to marry, he has been more open to it than many in his party. But there could be another political cost to his decision: On the eve of the announcement of his pick to fill the vacant seat on the Supreme Court, it could reopen the divisive debate over same-sex marriage and transgender rights, and subject his nominee to more scrutiny over his or her views on those issues.

The Obama order banned companies that do federal work from discriminating against gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender employees. It was the first time the government explicitly protected federal workers from discrimination based on gender identity.

Leaving those protections, of course, does not preclude another executive order that would roll back gay rights in other areas. Mr. Trump could, for example, still enshrine a religious freedom provision in federal policy.

Gay rights advocates seemed unimpressed. Chad Griffin, president of the Human Rights Campaign, said Mr. Trump was setting a low bar by claiming credit for not overturning the actions of his predecessor.

"L.G.B.T.Q. refugees, immigrants, Muslims and women are scared today, and with good reason," Mr. Griffin said. "Donald Trump has done nothing but undermine equality since he set foot in the White House."

So hey it is not all bad news.

He is just trying to divide democrats for a future impeachment. A modestly pro gay agenda with Pence as VP may get him some protection, albeit grudgingly.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on January 31, 2017, 12:34:09 PM
He is just trying to divide democrats for a future impeachment. A modestly pro gay agenda with Pence as VP may get him some protection, albeit grudgingly.

Doubtful. This is like Obama making pro-gun statements. The right will hate him anyway and the left, outside of the few to whom this is their big thing, will just ignore it.

I sure hope there is something to be gained for moderating these days. But I don't see it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on January 31, 2017, 11:40:43 AM
When do we get to go after Paul Ryan? Motherfucka. :angry:

if the Republicans had properly funded ICE and State the last six years, the immigration issues would be clear enough that, even if a moron got elected president, he wouldn't need to take a time out to figure out which which was his ass and which a hole in the ground.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Betsy DeVos got confirmed so look forward to your exciting new vouchers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Habbaku

She didn't get confirmed yet unless I missed something.  She got pushed forward by the committee, which means she'll go up for a vote.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on January 31, 2017, 12:44:54 PM
She didn't get confirmed yet unless I missed something.  She got pushed forward by the committee, which means she'll go up for a vote.

Right. Confirmed by the committee.

Whoops.

Well I figured it was inevitable anyway.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2017, 12:35:26 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 31, 2017, 12:34:09 PM

Doubtful. This is like Obama making pro-gun statements. The right will hate him anyway and the left, outside of the few to whom this is their big thing, will just ignore it.

I sure hope there is something to be gained for moderating these days. But I don't see it.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

should I email sessions asking for a job with the DOJ? I'm assuming there are going to be a lot of openings soon, and if a lot of the top law school grads don't apply because of personal reasons, then I'd have a pretty decent chance!  :)

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on January 31, 2017, 12:59:00 PM
should I email sessions asking for a job with the DOJ? I'm assuming there are going to be a lot of openings soon, and if a lot of the top law school grads don't apply because of personal reasons, then I'd have a pretty decent chance!  :)

Lettow would appreciate an autograph if you get to meet him.

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on January 31, 2017, 12:59:00 PM

Yeah you seem up to the current administration's standards.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on January 31, 2017, 01:07:52 PMYeah you seem up to the current administration's standards.

hey now i got good work product :mad:

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on January 31, 2017, 01:09:39 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 31, 2017, 01:07:52 PMYeah you seem up to the current administration's standards.

hey now i got good work product :mad:

The very goodest!

In all seriousness though...don't you like living in North Dakota?

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2017, 01:11:53 PMThe very goodest!

In all seriousness though...don't you like living in North Dakota?

I don't think many who've been around the world + weren't born here can truly say they like living in ND  :P

it's where I've lived most of my life, and it's where I went to school. despite law school achievements and post-grad offers, it's all fairly small potatoes in the east coast biglaw/federal government scheme of things

Valmy

If it is your ticket to the big city go ahead. I look forward to all the dirt from the inside...that you are legally and ethically allowed to disclose of course.

I just thought the vast badlands had a certain primordial beauty or some shit you liked.