News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

The coverage about Trump in the New York Times has been FALSE and ANGRY. The New York Times has failed again and again. So sad!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/30/us/politics/obama-trump-protections-lgbt-workers.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

QuoteObama's Protections for L.G.B.T. Workers Will Remain Under Trump

WASHINGTON — The White House said on Monday that President Trump would leave in place a 2014 Obama administration order that created new workplace protections for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

In a statement issued in response to growing questions about whether Mr. Trump would reverse the Obama order, the White House said the president was proud to embrace gay rights.

"President Trump continues to be respectful and supportive of L.G.B.T.Q. rights, just as he was throughout the election," the statement said. "The president is proud to have been the first ever G.O.P. nominee to mention the L.G.B.T.Q. community in his nomination acceptance speech, pledging then to protect the community from violence and oppression."

The decision to keep the order, the statement added, was Mr. Trump's. It uses stronger language than any Republican president has before in favor of equal legal protections for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people, though that is not likely to quiet Mr. Trump's critics on the left.

The move could also anger conservatives who had hoped a Republican president would end some socially liberal policies.

While Mr. Trump remains opposed to the right of same-sex couples to marry, he has been more open to it than many in his party. But there could be another political cost to his decision: On the eve of the announcement of his pick to fill the vacant seat on the Supreme Court, it could reopen the divisive debate over same-sex marriage and transgender rights, and subject his nominee to more scrutiny over his or her views on those issues.

The Obama order banned companies that do federal work from discriminating against gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender employees. It was the first time the government explicitly protected federal workers from discrimination based on gender identity.

Leaving those protections, of course, does not preclude another executive order that would roll back gay rights in other areas. Mr. Trump could, for example, still enshrine a religious freedom provision in federal policy.

Gay rights advocates seemed unimpressed. Chad Griffin, president of the Human Rights Campaign, said Mr. Trump was setting a low bar by claiming credit for not overturning the actions of his predecessor.

"L.G.B.T.Q. refugees, immigrants, Muslims and women are scared today, and with good reason," Mr. Griffin said. "Donald Trump has done nothing but undermine equality since he set foot in the White House."

So hey it is not all bad news.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2017, 08:47:05 AM

You say that and technically you could be right, but what about yesterday's EO on government regulations, described by Bruce Bartlett, a former aide to Presidents Reagan and George H. W. Bush, described it as the "stupidest executive order in history." ?

US President Donald Trump has emitted another executive order: this latest one is aimed at reducing the number of government regulations.

The order, signed Monday morning, requires that for every new regulation introduced by government officials, two existing regulations must be taken off the books.

"Unless prohibited by law, whenever an executive department or agency publicly proposes for notice and comment or otherwise promulgates a new regulation, it shall identify at least two existing regulations to be repealed," the order reads
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

What about it? While I am not so thoroughly informed to know if it is truly the stupidest executive order in history it is definitely idiotic to an extreme degree. Because Trump is an amateurish idiot who does not know what he is doing and he will do serious damage to our country. But here we have some evidence he is probably not going to set up death camps for gays. That very low bar, I think, we can conclude Trump has cleared.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Solmyr

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2017, 02:39:49 AM
Well everybody likes small businesses.

But does Trump have small businesses?

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on January 31, 2017, 09:26:15 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2017, 02:39:49 AM
Well everybody likes small businesses.

But does Trump have small businesses?

His businesses are the size of someone who is 5' 2". It's true.

Solmyr

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2017, 09:00:45 AM
That very low bar, I think, we can conclude Trump has cleared.

At least today. Tomorrow, we don't know yet.

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on January 31, 2017, 09:30:15 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2017, 09:00:45 AM
That very low bar, I think, we can conclude Trump has cleared.

At least today. Tomorrow, we don't know yet.

Hey! I have to give credit where it is due.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2017, 08:47:05 AM
The coverage about Trump in the New York Times has been FALSE and ANGRY. The New York Times has failed again and again. So sad!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/30/us/politics/obama-trump-protections-lgbt-workers.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

QuoteObama's Protections for L.G.B.T. Workers Will Remain Under Trump

WASHINGTON — The White House said on Monday that President Trump would leave in place a 2014 Obama administration order that created new workplace protections for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

In a statement issued in response to growing questions about whether Mr. Trump would reverse the Obama order, the White House said the president was proud to embrace gay rights.

"President Trump continues to be respectful and supportive of L.G.B.T.Q. rights, just as he was throughout the election," the statement said. "The president is proud to have been the first ever G.O.P. nominee to mention the L.G.B.T.Q. community in his nomination acceptance speech, pledging then to protect the community from violence and oppression."

The decision to keep the order, the statement added, was Mr. Trump's. It uses stronger language than any Republican president has before in favor of equal legal protections for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people, though that is not likely to quiet Mr. Trump's critics on the left.

The move could also anger conservatives who had hoped a Republican president would end some socially liberal policies.

While Mr. Trump remains opposed to the right of same-sex couples to marry, he has been more open to it than many in his party. But there could be another political cost to his decision: On the eve of the announcement of his pick to fill the vacant seat on the Supreme Court, it could reopen the divisive debate over same-sex marriage and transgender rights, and subject his nominee to more scrutiny over his or her views on those issues.

The Obama order banned companies that do federal work from discriminating against gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender employees. It was the first time the government explicitly protected federal workers from discrimination based on gender identity.

Leaving those protections, of course, does not preclude another executive order that would roll back gay rights in other areas. Mr. Trump could, for example, still enshrine a religious freedom provision in federal policy.

Gay rights advocates seemed unimpressed. Chad Griffin, president of the Human Rights Campaign, said Mr. Trump was setting a low bar by claiming credit for not overturning the actions of his predecessor.

"L.G.B.T.Q. refugees, immigrants, Muslims and women are scared today, and with good reason," Mr. Griffin said. "Donald Trump has done nothing but undermine equality since he set foot in the White House."

Monstrous.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2017, 08:37:00 AM
I do kind of wish the Trump-resistance would cut down on the Hitler talk. I know it is traditional and every President is Hitler, but I feel like it makes you sound a bit um...not to be taken seriously? Similar to the other people who constantly compared all the other Presidents to Hitler?

Right.  But there is some resemblance to present day second tier authoritarians.  His moves so far and his rhetoric place him in the Orban/Kaczynski mode. If he upgrades the press intimidation further he could graduate to the Erdogan/Putin zone.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

When do we get to go after Paul Ryan? Motherfucka. :angry:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/31/paul-ryan-travel-ban-republicans-congress-reaction-trump

QuotePaul Ryan urges Republicans to back travel ban despite anger over its rollout

Paul Ryan has urged Republicans to stand by Donald Trump's travel ban on people from seven Muslim-majority countries, throwing his support behind the restrictive policy despite its mixed reactions from lawmakers on Capitol Hill.

"The president has a responsibility to the security of this country," the House speaker told reporters on Tuesday, in his first public comments on the executive order.

"What is happening is something that we support, which is we need to pause, and we need to make sure that the vetting standards are up to snuff, so that we can guarantee the safety and security of this country. That is what this does."

Ryan also issued a strong defense of Trump's action in a closed-door meeting with Republicans on Tuesday morning, according to some lawmakers in attendance. The House speaker acknowledged the controversy surrounding the ban and told his members they were likely to see protests in their districts.

Ryan's backing of Trump came as many Republicans criticized the new administration for failing to consult Congress on an action that produced chaos and uncertainty across the US government. Ryan said he only learned of the executive order as it was being issued, while characterizing the confusion stemming from its abrupt rollout as "regrettable".

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Your post sounds even more badass if you imagine Ice-T saying it.  And I mean 80s gangsta Ice-T, not Law & Order Ice-T.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

derspiess