What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on November 30, 2017, 05:09:42 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2017, 01:43:12 PM
Well then that's just a lack of imagination. It was always possible.

Yeah, of course - everything is possible. Then you figure out what's probable or at least likely - somewhat influenced by what you hope for - and act accordingly. The current GOP shenanigans represent a significant transgression of the expected norms and there will be real consequences for that, your blasé affectations notwithstanding.

Well, I hope their are cooler heads in government than you.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on November 30, 2017, 05:13:01 PM
No, it's the Nordquist playbook - not bullshit but a deliberate tactic.

When Democrats are in power, complain about debt and the deficit.

When Republicans are in power decrease taxes and increase debt and the deficit and wreck the economy.

Democrats come back in power when the results of the Republicans economy wrecking start piling in. They start fixing it, getting the debt and deficit under control while the Republicans continue complaining about it... and so the cycle continues, while lowering taxes, destroying the US state, and increasing the wealth of the rich.

I'm trying to think of a single change in administration that fits this narrative and coming up short.  The closest that I can come up with is Bush Jr. > Obama.  In which the "wrecking of the economy" had nothing to do with national debt or the deficit and in which Obama massively increased the debt and it was primarily Democrats who were crying about the "fiscal cliff."  Perhaps you were thinking of Bush Sr. > Clinton, as Bubba did in fact raise taxes and decrease the debt, God bless his soul. But again that had virtually nothing to do with a debt driven wrecked economy.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2017, 11:55:05 AM
While I know Bernie is supposedly thinking about running I have my doubts we really are going to elect a 75+ year old man to the Presidency. The incontinence industry would get some great publicity though.

He's more lucid than Trump
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2017, 08:33:10 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 30, 2017, 08:25:30 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 30, 2017, 07:21:25 AM
Quote from: Gups on November 30, 2017, 06:03:02 AM
We're never going to get a trade deal with the US and if we did it wouldn't be because Trump was pushing it through. May did the bare minimum in repudiating Trump's retweets. But him responding really helps her, makes it look like she's pushing back against a man who is widely despised by almost all shades of political opinion. She needs to push back again to get any real benefit though.

You realize it's only going to get worse, don't you.

Yep, and am not sure the US will be able to recover its credibility now that the Republicans have demonstrated they can live with crazy.  Even if your next President is stellar,  you will always be one election away from repeating this madness

Not sure that makes sense. Unless Republican voters are immutable, things change as generations pass.

And it might take that long for the US to recover its credibility.   

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on November 30, 2017, 10:49:33 PM
The morning dump tweet ought to be interesting

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/30/kate-steinle-s-accused-killer-found-not-guilty-murder.html

Yeah, Attorney Confederate General Jefferson Beauregard Sessions Eye Eye Eye was on top of that earlier today, all Willie Horton-style.

Zanza

I don't get the concept of a sanctuary city. How can a city defy federal law? That should be illegal and the federal government should intervene.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on December 01, 2017, 06:42:52 AM
I don't get the concept of a sanctuary city. How can a city defy federal law? That should be illegal and the federal government should intervene.

Why would it be illegal for a city not to spend its resources helping assist the federal government apply its laws? That's the remit of the federal government.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 30, 2017, 05:02:54 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 30, 2017, 04:59:15 PM
looks like Rexy boy is out.

That was in the tea leaves the moment the "fucking moron" story broke.

Tom Cotton at CIA :bleeding:

So when are Mattis and McMaster leaving?

Razgovory

Quote from: Solmyr on December 01, 2017, 07:07:21 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 30, 2017, 05:02:54 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 30, 2017, 04:59:15 PM
looks like Rexy boy is out.

That was in the tea leaves the moment the "fucking moron" story broke.

Tom Cotton at CIA :bleeding:

So when are Mattis and McMaster leaving?

Probably next year sometime.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

If everyone who thinks Trump is a moron has to leave government employ - Washington DC will become a very lonely place.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Tillerson was actually very supportive of Spain during the Catalan crisis. If he goes I hope they don't appoint some boneheaded anti-EU nationalist that sees it as an opportunity to sow division in Europe.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: celedhring on December 01, 2017, 10:42:29 AM
Tillerson was actually very supportive of Spain during the Catalan crisis. If he goes I hope they don't appoint some boneheaded anti-EU nationalist that sees it as an opportunity to sow division in Europe.

It's going to be Pompeo.  So wish probably not granted.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

I normally don't get up early on Saturdays, but I so want to see the tail end of Trump's all-night coke bender develop in real time.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 01, 2017, 06:45:02 PM
I normally don't get up early on Saturdays, but I so want to see the tail end of Trump's all-night coke bender develop in real time.

:lol: I was thinking the same thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017