Daily Mail: Putin's new 'super tank' leaves West totally outgunned

Started by Hamilcar, November 06, 2016, 09:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on November 08, 2016, 09:54:28 AM
On tanks specifically, I am sure the tank is not obsolete. The massive MBT might be, but we will not know.

When it is so much easier to take a tank out no matter what protection it employs, maybe in WW3, countries will return to designs like the Sherman and the T-34, as opposed to doing a Tiger-like approach. So, decent, good designs, but with the priority of striking a compromise between survivability, combat power, and cost of production.

Kind of like the way how after a while cavalry just accepted there is no way they can put enough armor on to protect from firearms, and scaled back on the whole knights in shining armor thing.

Yep, I very much agree Tamas.

Once it is clear that more armor doesn't help, the logical conclusion is to scale back to very little armor - just enough to stop general purpose weapons, rather than weapons specifically designed to combat your particular weapon system.

What is interesting is how that would actually play out though. Certainly smaller, lighter vehicles one would presume?

While it doesn't seem particularly hard to imagine that the MBT is just too vulnerable, it is hard to imagine what replaces it...Smaller tanks? Not tanks at all? Something else entirely?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Brazen

Survivability is a movable feast. No sooner had they put on V-hulls for IEDs and sidebars for RPGs, they found the roofs were vulnerable from building-launched attacks in urban combat. You can't just add more armour, because agility is just as important a part of survivability. So modular armour has become popular, but you still have to know what you're facing before you set out. Like police officers choosing between stab-proof and bullet-proof vests.

Smaller, lighter vehicles have mainly become popular for urban combat and navigating deserts. But neither of those may be a focus of future land combat. Speaking to manufacturers at a recent defence fair, they said they were seeing a distinct trend away from smaller armoured vehicles and back to tanks. And certain nations that had been tight with their armoured vehicle purse strings recently were shelling out again. No pun intended.

CountDeMoney

Well, it's refreshing to see that not everyone has lost their minds and gone all Incan torpedo boat.

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on November 08, 2016, 10:00:52 AM
While it doesn't seem particularly hard to imagine that the MBT is just too vulnerable, it is hard to imagine what replaces it...Smaller tanks? Not tanks at all? Something else entirely?

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on November 08, 2016, 12:07:26 PM
*Until it meets the first bridge.  ;)

That's why you design it to operate as submersible, too. :rolleyes: The Cliffs of Dover might be tricky, though.  :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on November 08, 2016, 08:16:18 AM
Quote from: The Brain on November 08, 2016, 01:46:19 AM
Quote from: DGuller on November 07, 2016, 11:08:17 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 07, 2016, 11:06:48 PM
Have you seen what WWI level artillery did? Modern body armor would not be all that effective even back then, and I'm not even sure armored vehicles would be especially safe, though against modern artillery I'm certain they wouldn't be.

Take a picture of a modern infantry man on patrol vs. one in WWI, and the difference isn't so dramatic. At least compared to the actual cannons used in WWI vs. the Paladin.
I don't think all artillery casualties in WWI were caused by direct hits.

Think again. Why do you think they introduced steel helmets?

I'm presuming that this is a joke since it implies that a soldier's steel helmet would protect him against a direct hit by artillery.

Thank you. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on November 08, 2016, 12:10:04 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 08, 2016, 12:07:26 PM
*Until it meets the first bridge.  ;)

That's why you design it to operate as submersible, too. :rolleyes: The Cliffs of Dover might be tricky, though.  :hmm:

then it goes into its (adolf hitler) mecha-form

Hamilcar

What is interesting is how that would actually play out though. Certainly smaller, lightervehicles one would presume?

Mecha. Piloted by depressed 14 year old Japanese.

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 08, 2016, 03:01:11 PM
What is interesting is how that would actually play out though. Certainly smaller, lightervehicles one would presume?

Mecha. Piloted by depressed 14 year old Japanese.

Was there a joke in there somewhere screaming to get out?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on November 08, 2016, 01:37:53 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 07, 2016, 11:06:48 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 07, 2016, 07:08:14 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 07, 2016, 04:15:01 PM
Artillery was effective in WWI. Artillery has gotten better since then; infantry defenses not as much.
:yeahright: Except for body armor, motorized armored vehicles, and counter-battery radars.

Have you seen what WWI level artillery did? Modern body armor would not be all that effective even back then, and I'm not even sure armored vehicles would be especially safe, though against modern artillery I'm certain they wouldn't be.

Take a picture of a modern infantry man on patrol vs. one in WWI, and the difference isn't so dramatic. At least compared to the actual cannons used in WWI vs. the Paladin.

This is like comparing the bit of lead at the end of an arrow with the bit of lead that comes out of a modern assault rifle, and saying "Meh, they are basically the same thing..."

That is one of the worst analogies in languish history, and that is saying a lot.

It is similar to comparing the Springfield rifle used by the US in WWI and the M16. The M16 is clearly better, but is the advance as dramatic as the advance between WWI artillery and the artillery deployed today? I'm arguing no.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

So how many Russian "super weapons" have we in the West duped ourselves into fearing?  And what was the first one?  MiG-25?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on November 08, 2016, 06:00:09 PM
So how many Russian "super weapons" have we in the West duped ourselves into fearing?  And what was the first one?  MiG-25?

From what I understand of this there's nothing particularly revolutionary about this tank. They've updated a bit of technology, made some give-and-take design decisions, and are touting this as the next new revolutionary thing when it at best is incremental.

The hole unmanned turret/ auto loader thing is - from what I understand form a few (online) conversations with tankers - good in some ways, bad in others and neither unprecedented nor revolutionary.

So yeah, I'm thinking "super weapon" is just Russian propaganda bought by whoever has an interest in buying it.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on November 08, 2016, 06:20:27 PM
So yeah, I'm thinking "super weapon" is just Russian propaganda bought by whoever has an interest in buying it.

Well, we are talking about Hami quoting the Fail concerning the Russians, so, yeah, the shit is piled at least three layers deep.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!