Daily Mail: Putin's new 'super tank' leaves West totally outgunned

Started by Hamilcar, November 06, 2016, 09:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on November 07, 2016, 04:07:23 PM
We were just on a modern battlefield where infantry found it useful to up armor humvees by bolting on metal plates. It seems odd to think that tanks are obsolete just a few years later.

I think that it is more likely the next battlefield opponent will be more like Iraq than Russia, China, or Germany.

Humvees are not battlefield weapons at all.

They were uparmored in an attempt to protect them when they are NOT on the battlefield.

They not at all intended to be used in combat, up armored or not.

And the effort, btw, was a failure. Humvees were replaced by MRAPS, for use in areas where IED attacks were expected.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on November 07, 2016, 04:13:10 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 07, 2016, 04:10:34 PM
The infantryman is obsolete because now we have cheap plentiful weapons that can kill him.

Except that we do not, in fact, have such things. Killing infantryman is actually quite hard. They are small, easily concealed, and generally pretty smart and good at evading weapons.

For a given unit of infantryman, it is quite difficult to render it combat ineffective.

:yes: You still see infantrymen marching tall around the battlefield in tight formations. They didn't have to change their way of fighting and disappear into holes. Just like other things won't ever adapt to changes in opposing weaponry and still be relevant.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on November 07, 2016, 04:15:44 PM

They were uparmored in an attempt to protect them when they are NOT on the battlefield.

And the effort, btw, was a failure. Humvees were replaced by MRAPS, for use in areas where IED attacks were expected.

I think your definition of "battlefield" is rather narrow if it excludes the territory where the enemy is launching a substantial number of its ground based attacks.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on November 07, 2016, 04:15:01 PM
Artillery was effective in WWI. Artillery has gotten better since then; infantry defenses not as much.

The modern day battlefield is a lot more diffuse though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 07, 2016, 04:21:56 PM
Artillery was effective in WWI. Artillery has gotten better since then; infantry defenses not as much.

More diffuse than kilometer deep trenches with barbed wire, mine fields, poison gas and constant artillery barrages? Millions of men died in WW1, all the current battlefields are just skirmishes compared to that.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on November 07, 2016, 04:20:30 PM
I think your definition of "battlefield" is rather narrow if it excludes the territory where the enemy is launching a substantial number of its ground based attacks.

Ok but on that definition any form of transport is a battlefield weapon.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on November 07, 2016, 04:20:30 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 07, 2016, 04:15:44 PM

Sticking an IED in the road doesn't really make the road a "battlefield" in the context we are talking about...

0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 07, 2016, 04:25:57 PM

I don't think that a humvee is a battlefield weapon; it is a means of transport. But the example shows that even limited battlefield armor is still valued, even with the increased offensive firepower in the modern age.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Zanza on November 07, 2016, 04:23:51 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 07, 2016, 04:21:56 PM

More diffuse than kilometer deep trenches with barbed wire, mine fields, poison gas and constant artillery barrages? Millions of men died in WW1, all the current battlefields are just skirmishes compared to that.

Those trenches were filled with men to kill, rendering artillery more effective at killing them.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on November 07, 2016, 04:31:49 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 07, 2016, 04:25:57 PM

I don't think that a humvee is a battlefield weapon; it is a means of transport. But the example shows that even limited battlefield armor is still valued, even with the increased offensive firepower in the modern age.

Of course, just like having your ships have some armor is still valuable even if you don't build battleships anymore.

That doesn't suggest that battleships really are a good idea though.

0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on November 07, 2016, 04:29:19 PM
Sticking an IED in the road doesn't really make the road a "battlefield" in the context we are talking about...

Those IEDs on roads went a long way to pushing us out of Iraq even after investing thousands of lives and a trillion + dollars there. If you guys don't consider that part of the battlefield, perhaps your definition is a bit too narrow.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on November 07, 2016, 04:35:15 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 07, 2016, 04:29:19 PM

Those IEDs on roads went a long way to pushing us out of Iraq even after investing thousands of lives and a trillion + dollars there. If you guys don't consider that part of the battlefield, perhaps your definition is a bit too narrow.

That makes no sense.

Just because IEDs are an effective way to make someone want to bail on a conflict doesn't make the road a battlefield. I think our definition is just fine.

We are not talking about counter-insurgency operations. If we were, arguing about the utility of the MBT as a primary weapons systems would be even more silly, since it clearly is NOT when it comes to COIN operations.

0 rows returned

The Brain

Is anything a battlefield with your definition? What about love?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.