Daily Mail: Putin's new 'super tank' leaves West totally outgunned

Started by Hamilcar, November 06, 2016, 09:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Tanks, how quaint.

QuoteThe new Russian main battle tank is designed to protect the vehicle's crew
I stopped reading here.

Siege

Wow. Do the russians really think tanks still rule the battlefield? That's so 20th century.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Do you know what a really revolutionary tank looks like?
It is a drone, computer controlled instead of remote controlled, it is 24 inches by 12 inches, it can burrows underground until his target is within sprint distance, it carries a 10 inches single shot EFP explosively formed penetrator, which no known armor mixture can stop.

But you dont even need a drone. Any anti tank aerial munition can take out ANY tank. Deploying tanks on the modern battlefield without achieving and maintaining air superiority is ridiculously suicidal.

And then, even if your air defense keeps enemy aircraft away, light infantry carries a little toy called Javelin that can take out any tank as well.

Tanks today are like battleships. Completely obsolete.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Berkut

I like that if you read the article, all the "revolutionary" stuff is completely uninteresting.

ZOMG THE RUSSIANS MADE A TANK THAT ISN"T DESIGNED TO KILL ITS OWN CREW???? WE ARE FOOKED!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

mongers

I'm gonna hold back from commenting until we have a report form Languish's defence correspondent, sir Hockney.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Drakken

QuoteThe new Armata is the first Russian tank which considered the crew's ability to survive

:lmfao:

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on November 06, 2016, 10:37:27 AM
I like that if you read the article, all the "revolutionary" stuff is completely uninteresting.

ZOMG THE RUSSIANS MADE A TANK THAT ISN"T DESIGNED TO KILL ITS OWN CREW???? WE ARE FOOKED!

Yeah, that was a bit amusing.  One of the photos of the new tank appears to be a group of T-72s.  The new "low profile" is three feet taller than it's predecessors.  Two feet taller than the Abrams.  The new tank may very well be an improvement over the old ones, but I doubt it will be "revolutionary".  The French had a tank with an unmanned turret back in the 1950's.

More interesting is the new APCs.  The possibility of a Russian APC that can't be disabled by machine guns is a bit more intriguing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Hamilcar

Quote from: Razgovory on November 06, 2016, 01:58:08 PM
More interesting is the new APCs.  The possibility of a Russian APC that can't be disabled by machine guns is a bit more intriguing.

Have you checked what Sam Harris thinks about Russian APCs?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

KRonn

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on November 06, 2016, 10:22:16 AM
Do you know what a really revolutionary tank looks like?
It is a drone, computer controlled instead of remote controlled, it is 24 inches by 12 inches, it can burrows underground until his target is within sprint distance, it carries a 10 inches single shot EFP explosively formed penetrator, which no known armor mixture can stop.

But you dont even need a drone. Any anti tank aerial munition can take out ANY tank. Deploying tanks on the modern battlefield without achieving and maintaining air superiority is ridiculously suicidal.

And then, even if your air defense keeps enemy aircraft away, light infantry carries a little toy called Javelin that can take out any tank as well.

Tanks today are like battleships. Completely obsolete.

Why would it move underground?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2016, 03:39:21 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 06, 2016, 03:37:29 PM
Why would it move underground?

Hard to shoot.

It can't spot things either.  A weapon that can't only take out tanks if they are within "sprint distance" aren't much use.  Siege has described a very expensive mine, he's also unaware there are lots of ways to stop an anti-tank missile.