News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Evaluating Obama's 8 years

Started by Hamilcar, October 30, 2016, 01:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I think history's judgment will depend on how historians will evaluate his inability to defeat GOP, which set out to sabotage him from day one and largely succeeded.  Were his hand really tied, or could he have outmaneuvered them had he had more political skill?

Monoriu

Quote from: grumbler on October 30, 2016, 05:36:36 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 30, 2016, 05:10:15 PM
I rank him around 15 in the historical ranking of all US presidents.

Interesting, and from an outside viewpoint.  As a matter of curiosity, and so i can get a feel for your metrics, between which two presidents would you sandwich him (roughly)?

Kennedy and Johnson.

Josquius

He tried oh how he tried. I blame the republicans. Of course.
██████
██████
██████

Zoupa

From a Franco/Canadian perspective: great orator, campaigner. Managed to reform healthcare somewhat. Did not close Guantanamo. Did not contain Russia (not sure what he could have done differently there).

Kinda hard to do anything significant when you don't control Congress. I guess he didn't do enough to make sure not to lose midterms.

6.5/10? I dunno. Charismatic, smart, his election had significance but I'm not sure what he'll be remembered for.

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on October 31, 2016, 04:53:36 AM
6.5/10? I dunno. Charismatic, smart, his election had significance but I'm not sure what he'll be remembered for.

First black president?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on October 31, 2016, 08:05:23 AM

First black president?

Yeah but while it is an achievement to grab the POTUS seat while being black, it is not a very kind reflection on you when your greatest achievement in your job is the colour of your skin.

Scipio

He has killed a shitload of brown people, so I don't know how that cleaves among you enlightened glowing balls of light.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Grey Fox

His 8 years won't matter much. He'll be remembered the same way remember Taft.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 31, 2016, 10:09:00 AM

As somebody who  couldn't fit in his bathtub?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

The only man to lead multiple branches of the Federal Government? Maybe. But John Roberts seems like he is not going anywhere for awhile.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2016, 10:26:53 AM

The only man to lead multiple branches of the Federal Government?

How quickly we forget James K. Polk. :alberta:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 31, 2016, 10:36:15 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2016, 10:26:53 AM

The only man to lead multiple branches of the Federal Government?

How quickly we forget James K. Polk. :alberta:

Napoleon of the Stump!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Scipio on October 31, 2016, 09:46:23 AM
He has killed a shitload of brown people, so I don't know how that cleaves among you enlightened glowing balls of light.

Probably killed fewer brown people than any president since Carter, though.  The next president that does not kill a shitload of brown people will be the first.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zoupa

Quote from: garbon on October 31, 2016, 08:05:23 AM

First black president?

garbon

You ended on I don't know what he will be remembered for.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.