News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Evaluating Obama's 8 years

Started by Hamilcar, October 30, 2016, 01:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Ultimately, I think he'll be remembered much like Carter or Bush the Elder--a good man, but in over his head as President.

Phillip V

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on October 31, 2016, 01:08:56 PM
Ultimately, I think he'll be remembered much like Carter or Bush the Elder--a good man, but in over his head as President.

Being re-elected doesn't really translate to "in over his head".  Quite frankly, neither Poppy nor James Earle were, either.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Two under-rated Presidents.
Bush Sr. had his shortcomings as a pol, but the last thing I would say about him is over his head.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 31, 2016, 01:59:13 PM
Bush Sr. had his shortcomings as a pol, but the last thing I would say about him is over his head.

The man was built to be a President.  Unfortunately his acorns not only fell far from the tree, but the squirrels got to them.

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 31, 2016, 01:59:13 PM

Two under-rated Presidents.

Agree about Bush Sr.  His problem was that he was crap at lying.  Policy-wise he was okay or better.  His mistake was running for elected office.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

The lesson of Bush and Carter was:
1) Don't run for re-election while the Fed Chairman is hiking rates to 20%
2) Don't run for re-election in the aftermath of a massive financial collapse.

Bush Jr. learned the lesson from Dad, made sure the massive financial collapse happened at the end of term 2, not term 1.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 31, 2016, 02:09:40 PM
The lesson of Bush and Carter was:
1) Don't run for re-election while the Fed Chairman is hiking rates to 20%
2) Don't run for re-election in the aftermath of a massive financial collapse.

Bush Jr. learned the lesson from Dad, made sure the massive financial collapse happened at the end of term 2, not term 1.

What massive financial collapse are you talking about?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

About half the industry got wiped out, so yes that's a pretty significant event.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

My impression might have been colored by the fact I was still in grad school, but it didn't seem to me that outside of cocaine snorting southwestern property developers/speculators and crooked S&L owners, that many people were directly affected.