WW2 Weapons Platforms: What accomplished the most with the least?

Started by CountDeMoney, July 03, 2009, 06:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

The divebombers were generally terrible planes that never saw action before or after the war but had a pretty big impact during it despite their deficiencies.

So I vote the divebomber poster child: the Stuka.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Probably already mentioned, but the Czech 38 tank.  In service as a tank until 42 at least, served as a platform for AT, artillery...hell the Swiss used Hetzers after the war...

It was good enough at the start, outclassed by 41, but still plugged along.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Zanza

What about the MG42? It's a very simple piece of technology and was so good that it is still in use with minor modifications almost 70 years later.

Berkut

The MG42 is not that simple a piece of technology - it was the most advanced and effective MG of the war. It accomplished a lot, but hardly with the least.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

Compared to it's effect on history, the amount of effort and material put into the atom bomb was negligable.  I mean, when you think about it, the atom bomb brought the trends of the previous 200 years to a screeching halt.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Quote from: Neil on July 06, 2009, 03:30:51 PM
Compared to it's effect on history, the amount of effort and material put into the atom bomb was negligable.

Which is your first language?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: The Brain on July 06, 2009, 03:38:37 PM
Compared to it's effect on history, the amount of effort and material put into the atom bomb was negligable.

French.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Quote from: Neil on July 06, 2009, 03:39:39 PM

French.

I don't speak French.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: The Brain on July 06, 2009, 03:40:31 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 06, 2009, 03:39:39 PM

French.

I don't speak French.
That's too bad.  It's a fine language, if totally outdated.  It's sort of like how kids used to get educated in Greek and Latin.

Razgovory

I dunno it took alot of people, time, and money to put together the atomic bomb.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on July 06, 2009, 03:47:26 PM
I dunno it took alot of people, time, and money to put together the atomic bomb.
Indeed, but it had as much of a military, social and economic effect as the rest of the war combined.  Everything else was just a bunch of toys.  The atom bomb was history, and the only achievements that can match it are the development of gunpowder, the forging of metal and the invention of agriculture.  And maybe the steam engine.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on July 06, 2009, 09:31:46 AM
The divebombers were generally terrible planes that never saw action before or after the war but had a pretty big impact during it despite their deficiencies.

Actually, the Stuka would be high on my list of "did the least with the most."

Dive bombers were significant in naval warfare for quite a while, but in land warfare they were obsolescent by 1941.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on July 06, 2009, 09:03:28 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 06, 2009, 09:31:46 AM

Actually, the Stuka would be high on my list of "did the least with the most."

Dive bombers were significant in naval warfare for quite a while, but in land warfare they were obsolescent by 1941.
Did the Stuka see all that much action later on?  I know it was rather useful earlier on, but I was under the impression that they got massacred at Dunkirk, and anywhere on the Eastern Front where there was any kind of air cover, and that by the mid-war period, they were pretty much gone.

Of course, up until the guided missile came along, the dive bomber was the ultimate weapon in naval warfare.  Except for the dreadnought battleship, of course.