WW2 Weapons Platforms: What accomplished the most with the least?

Started by CountDeMoney, July 03, 2009, 06:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

If anybody is going to suggest the P-39 I gotta add the Hurricane. It also served the entire war changing roles as time passed and it's capabilities were surpassed. It started the war as a "B" team fighter next to the Spitfire but managed to win the Battle of Britain. It later served as a Tank Buster, Sub Hunter and Dive Bomber in Africa, The Atlantic and Burma.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Norgy

Quote from: Strix on July 04, 2009, 10:22:23 AM
I'd say the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk (aka Tomahawk).

It first flew in 1938 and was used until the end of the war. It lacked a lot of innovations of newer planes but was rugged enough that it begin as an air superiority fighter and ended up still being a functional close air support fighter by the end of the war. It was also used by over 25+ different nations.

Notable pilots of the plane were Claire Chennault, Gregory Boyington (before he went on to fly in the Black Sheep), and Nikolai Fyodorovich Kuznetsov (a Hero of the Soviet Union).

Good call.

Razgovory

Those little Soviet crop dusters that were used to harrass the Germans.  The Po-2s.

Japanese knee mortars.  I love those.  Also the Japanese swords.  Outdated for centuries and still in use!  They played an important role in slowing down allied troops who took them as souvenirs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on July 05, 2009, 07:19:38 AM
  Also the Japanese swords.  Outdated for centuries and still in use!  They played an important role in slowing down allied troops who took them as souvenirs.

:D
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

I would argue that the P-40 and Hurricane were not "low capability" aircraft and so shouldn't really be considered.  The Mosquito was very advanced - it was deliberately made out of plywood to use construction facilities unable to work in metal.

The Swordfish definitely punched above its weight.  So did the WW1 RN battleships, Warspite in particular.  I am pressed to think of a system that did more with less than the Swordsfish, though.

Good question.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

It's hard to understate the value of wrecking the Italian surface fleet.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on July 05, 2009, 09:22:44 AM
It's hard to understate the value of wrecking the Italian surface fleet.

Yeah, it convinced the Japs that they could do it to the Americans.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

Those little Soviet crop dusters that were used to harrass the Germans.  The Po-2s.

Japanese knee mortars.  I love those.  Also the Japanese swords.  Outdated for centuries and still in use!  They played an important role in slowing down allied troops who took them as souvenirs.
My Great Uncle has one of those swords.  A Japanese officer jumped into his foxhole one night, demanding my uncle surrender. My uncle simply said he emptied his rifle into the officer. Still has the sword as a souvenir, I think anyway. Some years ago he returned some items to the Japanese Consul - papers, diary, what ever,of Japanese soldiers. He said one time he was keeping the sword but I don't know now. He's in a Veteran's nursing home now, in his 90s; I'll have to ask my cousin sometime about it.

Viking

Quote from: KRonn on July 05, 2009, 09:51:21 AM

My Great Uncle has one of those swords.  A Japanese officer jumped into his foxhole one night, demanding my uncle surrender. My uncle simply said he emptied his rifle into the officer. Still has the sword as a souvenir, I think anyway. Some years ago he returned some items to the Japanese Consul - papers, diary, what ever,of Japanese soldiers. He said one time he was keeping the sword but I don't know now. He's in a Veteran's nursing home now, in his 90s; I'll have to ask my cousin sometime about it.

Did he sign a release form for his life story being used in a film?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc

Siege

Swords are worthless.

Oversized knives that you can't use to open MREs.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on July 06, 2009, 04:18:49 AM
Swords are worthless.

Someday day Siegy will get a joke and not just state the fucking obvious.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on July 06, 2009, 06:06:49 AM
Swords are worthless.

A Joke that Siegy gets.

Jarhead A: So I saw this Haji and, <comic timing pause>, I shot him!!!!
Siegy: JWHAJWHAJWHAJWHA!!

KRonn

Quote from: Viking on July 05, 2009, 10:30:29 AM
Quote from: KRonn on July 05, 2009, 09:51:21 AM

Did he sign a release form for his life story being used in a film?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc
He's been active in Veteran groups all his life. An author did interview him about ten years ago to get his stories on the war. The author was interviewing many vets for a book on WW2 Marines, a book on the Iwo Jima battle.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on July 06, 2009, 06:19:00 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 06, 2009, 06:06:49 AM
Swords are worthless.

A Joke that Siegy gets.

Jarhead A: So I saw this Haji and, <comic timing pause>, I shot him!!!!
Siegy: You're an I shot him!!!
Fixed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.