WW2 Weapons Platforms: What accomplished the most with the least?

Started by CountDeMoney, July 03, 2009, 06:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on July 07, 2009, 12:49:52 AM
Most likely a training secion where the dog is trained in running under enemy tanks, so proberly no expolsives. Ofcourse rumor has it that Anti-tank dogs had one important fault, the dog had only learn to run under russian tanks not german ones, so at the front did the dogs go after the wrong tanks... :P

Also its a T-43 prototype with a dummy gun... :nerd:

:o  Are you saying that I cannot ID a WW2 era soviet tank?   :mad:

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Viking

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 06, 2009, 10:02:00 PM
Hint: Not the tank.

The problem with the dog bombs is that the Soviets trained the dogs to go under the tanks, feeling safe there. What they didn't realize is that the German tanks ran on different fuel, which naturally smelled different, to the dogs. So the dogs didn't go after german tanks, but rather the soviet ones. This was one of the weapons with "least" it just didn't accomplish anything.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Siege

Ok, that's a T34, but I agree that the gun looks smaller than 76mm.

Syt

Quote from: Viking on July 07, 2009, 12:59:22 AM
This was one of the weapons with "least" it just didn't accomplish anything.

Kinda like the Jap balloon bombs.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Siege on July 07, 2009, 12:59:38 AM
Ok, that's a T34, but I agree that the gun looks smaller than 76mm.

The T-43 is a T-34/76 with a 3 man turret, a project started in 1940 after the russians learn about the success of the german pzkfw III and its 3 turret in france. The T-43 never saw action becourse the intrudution of the T-34/85 made it obsolete...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Viking

Quote from: Syt on July 07, 2009, 01:04:03 AM

At least the balloon bombs burned down some trees in the pacific north west :contract:

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on July 06, 2009, 10:06:30 PM
Have you seen a sidewinder lately?
They have full sphere engagement capability these days.
A lot of high tech toys inside those little fuckers.
Have you actually read any of my posts lately?

I stated specifically that the AIM-9 was simple "in most of its iterations."  The post-2000 joint misile project got away from the "simple as a washing machine" concept, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the simple AIM-9 was a great system, with well over half of all AAM kills to its credit (even more overwhelmingly if one includes its identical twin, \the AA-2 Atoll - coped so slavishly the Soviets used the exact same component numbers on the parts).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Viking

Quote from: grumbler on July 07, 2009, 05:09:09 AM
Quote from: Siege on July 06, 2009, 10:06:30 PM
Have you seen a sidewinder lately?
They have full sphere engagement capability these days.
A lot of high tech toys inside those little fuckers.

I stated specifically that the AIM-9 was simple "in most of its iterations."  The post-2000 joint misile project got away from the "simple as a washing machine" concept, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the simple AIM-9 was a great system, with well over half of all AAM kills to its credit (even more overwhelmingly if one includes its identical twin, \the AA-2 Atoll - coped so slavishly the Soviets used the exact same component numbers on the parts).

I don't really think the missile of today has anything to do with the Vietnam era original, the Falklands war version or the modern missile. I would presume that the only component still "similar" is the missile housing.

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on July 07, 2009, 05:26:16 AM
I don't really think the missile of today has anything to do with the Vietnam era original, the Falklands war version or the modern missile. I would presume that the only component still "similar" is the missile housing.
Up thorough the AIM-9L/M, the missile was essentially the same, with simply improved seeker components and more efficient engines/control surfaces/fuel to boost range. After that, the versions got a lot more complex, and at that point became not "the least" any more (in fact, it was ASRAAM, just called the Sidewinder).

And the missile IOCed in 1952, so even the "vietnam Era original" wasn't original in Vietnam.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

Quote from: Viking on July 07, 2009, 04:52:26 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 07, 2009, 01:04:03 AM

At least the balloon bombs burned down some trees in the pacific north west :contract:
Some civilians were actually killed. People on a picnic who found one of them.

And the Hanford (sp? in Washington state I think) nuclear site had its electricity interrupted briefly by a ballon coming down on the wires, shorting the lines or something like that. I kind of found that ironic, given that the plant was probably working on nuke tech which would be used on Japan.

Siege

I ussually don't read your posts. They are too long and with too many technical details.
I ussually read one-liners only, unless it is a post thrashing moonslims.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on July 07, 2009, 09:58:24 AM

I ussually don't read your posts. They are too long and with too many technical details.
I ussually read one-liners only, unless it is a post thrashing moonslims.

How do they give you orders in the military? 

"That Israeli sergeant, yeah he's a pretty good soldier.  You just have to speak very slowly to him and show alot of pictures before he catches on."
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Threviel