WW2 Weapons Platforms: What accomplished the most with the least?

Started by CountDeMoney, July 03, 2009, 06:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on July 07, 2009, 02:37:41 PM
They were remarkable in that they had a very short expected life.
Also that almost half of them developed stress fractures during their life.

Ironic that the Hog Islanders (the WW1 equivelents of the Liberty ships) actually out-performed their WW2 counterparts in almost every way.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 07, 2009, 02:53:55 PM
I like motor torpedo boats.
You're wrong to feel that way.  People who idolize JFK are freaks.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on July 07, 2009, 03:01:43 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 07, 2009, 02:53:55 PM
I like motor torpedo boats.
You're wrong to feel that way.  People who idolize JFK are freaks.

Not JFK, the skirmishing in the channel between the MTB's and the S-boats was always interesting to me.

Johnny boy is an overrated dickhead.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habsburg

Some of the pictures of Italian interceptors in HOI2 lead me to think they may have been pretty.  :wub:

dps

Quote from: grumbler on July 07, 2009, 02:32:47 PM
Quote from: KRonn on July 07, 2009, 01:05:14 PM
Oh yeah, Liberty ships were a huge factor! They certainly could do a lot with the least - very cheaply and quickly built. Shipyards had contests on building them in record time. A few days or so in many cases. Used pre-fab parts. Astonished the allies with the speed of building and how important a factor it was to obtain all that shipping space, let alone the axis who could only look on in disappointment. Those huge numbers of ships meant that much more war material getting to the fronts.
Disagree that Liberty ships were ships with "the least."  They were not cheap (in fact, they were more expensive on a tonnage basis than standard ships) and their sole real edge was that they could be made quickly.  Other than that, they were just slow, medium-sized freighters remarkable for numbers more than capabilities.

Also kind of a stretch to call them "weapons platforms.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on July 07, 2009, 10:39:45 PM
Oh yeah, Liberty ships were a huge factor! They certainly could do a lot with the least - very cheaply and quickly built. Shipyards had contests on building them in record time. A few days or so in many cases. Used pre-fab parts. Astonished the allies with the speed of building and how important a factor it was to obtain all that shipping space, let alone the axis who could only look on in disappointment. Those huge numbers of ships meant that much more war material getting to the fronts.
Disagree that Liberty ships were ships with "the least."  They were not cheap (in fact, they were more expensive on a tonnage basis than standard ships) and their sole real edge was that they could be made quickly.  Other than that, they were just slow, medium-sized freighters remarkable for numbers more than capabilities.

They had platforms.  They carried weapons.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on July 07, 2009, 11:02:09 PM

They had platforms.  They carried weapons.
:lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

They had platforms called decks and cargo holds and on those platforms there were weapons... lots of weapons....

Think of the liberty ship as part of every weapons system. To drop a bomb on berlin you need to transport the bomb first to the airfield.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Had the Victory design been adopted instead (as it later was), then maybe an argument could be made.  As it was, I think the LST design was more important among the "less capable" ship designs than was the Liberty ship (and would note for our Anglophiles that both were British conceptions).
Good points. I was thinking about the costs too, the prefab parts, and wondering if they were more expensive to build. Apparently they were, so weren't all that cheap as I said. But getting the ships needed was probably more important than the costs at the time. I can't disagree that it might have been better to build Victory ships sooner.

And I think the thing was that as unremarkable as the Liberty ships were, the sheer numbers allowed the allies to keep up the wartime shipping needs. And that was the big factor in keeping the military forces and civilian needs supplied. Especially after U-Boats had sunk so much tonnage earlier in the war.

The ships weren't really built to last, though a few are running today, or as war memorials. I think one of those memorials still goes on cruises for visitors.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: KRonn on July 08, 2009, 07:51:49 AM
The ships weren't really built to last, though a few are running today, or as war memorials. I think one of those memorials still goes on cruises for visitors.

Its in Baltimore, and if I was ever in the area with $140 I didn't need I'd probably go on it.

http://www.liberty-ship.com/

KRonn

Quote from: vonmoltke on July 08, 2009, 08:47:13 AM

Its in Baltimore, and if I was ever in the area with $140 I didn't need I'd probably go on it.

:cool:

Viking

Quote from: vonmoltke on July 08, 2009, 08:47:13 AM

OK, now there is one reason to go to Baltimore.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.