A few questions to the Americans re: Presidential Elections 2016

Started by Syt, October 10, 2016, 02:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on October 11, 2016, 11:48:48 AM
IN what way is Ryan a "policy fraud"?

He makes up/fudges numbers; plays "scoring" games on his budget proposals.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2016, 11:50:54 AM
Poor Ryan man. A few years ago I found him a pretty interesting guy, actually putting forth plans to balance the budget and all. Now he is basically a clown, hated by the base for being a left wing liberal.

His Mom probably called this weekend and yelled at him.  Probably doesn't want a shitload of nuns on his ass again, either.

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 11, 2016, 11:49:53 AM
Populism can manifest in different ways.  The last big bout of "toxic populism" we had was with George Wallace, whose campaigns and style has occasioned comparisons to Trump.  The Wallace fever subsided , but a chunk of his support migrated to become "Reagan Democrats" in response to Reagan's inside-outsider campaign.  I don't personally consider that a great outcome, but James Watt aside, I wouldn't consider the Reagan administration "toxic".  Bottom line is that there likely will be someone who figures out how to ride this anti-system anger more effectively, but there is reason to hope it will be someone who will channel it in a less destructive direction

I think there's room for a 2020 GOP candidate to import elements of Trumpism such as enforced borders, clamp down on illegal immigration, and not reflexively propose to scrap everyone's health care, while dumping toxic elements such as the nativism, racism and general authoritarianism.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Unless they also back away from betraying our allies and scrapping our free trade agreements no deal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on October 11, 2016, 12:10:28 PMI think there's room for a 2020 GOP candidate to import elements of Trumpism such as enforced borders, clamp down on illegal immigration, and not reflexively propose to scrap everyone's health care, while dumping toxic elements such as the nativism, racism and general authoritarianism.

So you're saying the candidate in 2020 can dump the things that motivates the Trumpists and attempt to satisfy them with apparently reasonable right wing policies, hoping that dog-whistles will suffice to motivate them enough that he won't be outflanked by someone being more explicit?

I mean, it's definitely possible but to me it seems about as likely as the GOP successfully engaging in minority outreach after Obama's election.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on October 11, 2016, 12:15:46 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 11, 2016, 12:10:28 PMI think there's room for a 2020 GOP candidate to import elements of Trumpism such as enforced borders, clamp down on illegal immigration, and not reflexively propose to scrap everyone's health care, while dumping toxic elements such as the nativism, racism and general authoritarianism.

So you're saying the candidate in 2020 can dump the things that motivates the Trumpists and attempt to satisfy them with apparently reasonable right wing policies, hoping that dog-whistles will suffice to motivate them enough that he won't be outflanked by someone being more explicit?

I mean, it's definitely possible but to me it seems about as likely as the GOP successfully engaging in minority outreach after Obama's election.

Well no.  The things I outlined would be a marked departure from GOP orthodoxy.  The Party tried very hard to come to an accommodation on illegal immigrants, and continuously has promised to scrap Obamacare, and keeps throwing out suggestions it may tinker with Medicare.

If you think the GOP can never do meaningful minority outreach you're saying the Democrats have a lock on the whitehouse.  I don't think that's the case.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on October 11, 2016, 12:34:02 PM
Well no.  The things I outlined would be a marked departure from GOP orthodoxy.  The Party tried very hard to come to an accommodation on illegal immigrants, and continuously has promised to scrap Obamacare, and keeps throwing out suggestions it may tinker with Medicare.

If you think the GOP can never do meaningful minority outreach you're saying the Democrats have a lock on the whitehouse.  I don't think that's the case.

I think it's theoretically possible that the GOP can do meaningful minority outreach, but experience in the last year seems to indicate it has some internal institutional barriers to actually carry that out. Perhaps the post-Trump paroxysms will be what it takes to overcome those barriers, but right now it seems out and out bigoted pandering (as you say, toxic elements) carries the most weight, so if there's going to be dumping it seems like it's likely to be something else.

Personally, I think the GOP is going to have to lose the houses of congress and more state governments on account of toxicity before they'll start purging it with any kind of seriousness.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on October 11, 2016, 12:52:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 11, 2016, 12:34:02 PM

I think it's theoretically possible that the GOP can do meaningful minority outreach, but experience in the last year seems to indicate it has some internal institutional barriers to actually carry that out. Perhaps the post-Trump paroxysms will be what it takes to overcome those barriers, but right now it seems out and out bigoted pandering (as you say, toxic elements) carries the most weight, so if there's going to be dumping it seems like it's likely to be something else.

Personally, I think the GOP is going to have to lose the houses of congress and more state governments on account of toxicity before they'll start purging it with any kind of seriousness.

I don't think voters are going to hold Trump against the GOP in 2020.  No one is going to go "you know, Rubio/Pence/Ryan/Cruz seems pretty sensible, but this is the party that nominated Trump 4 years ago so I think I'll vote to re-elect Clinton".  Trump is sui generis.

Valmy

I don't think that is the issue BB. The problem is that Trump's supporters are going to demand more Trumps not vile sell out establishment liberal traitors like Rubio/Pence/Ryan/Cruz.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2016, 01:14:10 PM
I don't think that is the issue BB. The problem is that Trump's supporters are going to demand more Trumps not vile sell out establishment liberal traitors like Rubio/Pence/Ryan/Cruz.

As long as the GOP pivots to incorporate some elements of Trumpism like what I suggested, they'll fall in line the same way the Bernie Bros mostly have.

Zoupa

Yeah, especially after 4 years of TrumpTV telling them that.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 11, 2016, 01:21:32 PM

As long as the GOP pivots to incorporate some elements of Trumpism like what I suggested, they'll fall in line the same way the Bernie Bros mostly have.

The Bernie Bros most certainly have not. Oh sure they might rally to vote to stop Trump this time but they will be back. The revolution will be televised so check it out in future Primaries.

Berkut

Yeah, I think 2020 is going to be interesting for both parties.

They will both need to figure out how to incorporate the legitimate issues that drove Sanders and Trump "outsider" candidates, while avoiding the crazies.

Obviously this will be easier for the Dems than the Republicans, for both historical and policy reasons.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on October 11, 2016, 01:29:57 PM

They will both need to figure out how to incorporate the legitimate issues that drove Sanders and Trump "outsider" candidates, while avoiding the crazies.

Obviously this will be easier for the Dems than the Republicans, for both historical and policy reasons.

Well the Democratic nomination will not be open like it was this year - you'll presumably have Clinton running for a second term.  So while she may face a leftist insurgent in modern history no incumbent has ever lost the nomination.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on October 11, 2016, 01:44:44 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 11, 2016, 01:29:57 PM

Well the Democratic nomination will not be open like it was this year - you'll presumably have Clinton running for a second term.  So while she may face a leftist insurgent in modern history no incumbent has ever lost the nomination.

True, but I don't think "modern history" is much of a guide anymore.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned