A few questions to the Americans re: Presidential Elections 2016

Started by Syt, October 10, 2016, 02:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 10, 2016, 07:49:55 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 10, 2016, 07:47:25 AM

At least the last few. The strong evangelicals haven't been doing so well.

Mitt was not exactly an evangelical, being a vile heathen Mormon and all, but I thought those issues were still things in 2012. Ah well it is has been awhile.

I could be wrong but I don't recall him expounding a lot on that topic. Actually I can't recall at all what he said. :Embarrass:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 10, 2016, 07:50:55 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 10, 2016, 07:49:12 AM
I might have disliked the man and thought (still think) he'd have been much better had he waited to build relationships in Washington, but I don't really see how that's true. Unlike Trump he actually had policies. Many might have been 'chocolate milk in drinking fountains' but they actually were thought out unlike notions that 'Obamacare is going to be repealed and we are going to create the best health system (unspecified)'.

He certainly was big and theatrical though. He was an incredibly gifted campaigner for that reason.

Okay but I thought we were discussing essentially style over substance. While I call complaining about that back then, he was/is miles ahead of Trump. Basically not even comparable really.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 10, 2016, 07:53:57 AM
Okay but I thought we were discussing essentially style over substance. While I call complaining about that back then, he was/is miles ahead of Trump. Basically not even comparable really.

He certainly had far more substance than Trump. But he was a Junior Senator will little to show for his short time in the Senate, beyond one speech at the 2004 Democratic Convention. His flair on the campaign trail is what made him President.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Answers

1. Easily the worst in the postwar era.  Not even close.

2. Not historically.  HW Bush, Clinton and Obama were high content candidates; W was less so but ran substantive campaigns and was not particularly theatrical.  Among the other nominees of the of the last 25 years - Dole, Gore, Kerry, McCain and Romney are all easily on the content side vs. threatrical.  There has never been a major party candidate as content poor and ignorant of the basics of American government  as Donald Trump.

3. Typically people vote more for than against at least in the modern era.  It's almost always the case that ultimate winner has significantly higher favorables than unfavorable, and pretty common that BOTH candidates - including the loser - do.

4. I have no crystal ball but both party organizations seem very dysfunctional, albeit in different ways.  They will likely follow their path of least resistance, which is that everyone in them will draw the conclusion most convenient to their personal interest and preferred worldview and there will be no serious reassessment, much less reform.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

If this debate wasn't a hands down win for Hilary, then I'm of the opinion that she's a pretty poor candidate.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 10, 2016, 09:54:16 AM
Answers

1. Easily the worst in the postwar era.  Not even close.

2. Not historically.  HW Bush, Clinton and Obama were high content candidates; W was less so but ran substantive campaigns and was not particularly theatrical.  Among the other nominees of the of the last 25 years - Dole, Gore, Kerry, McCain and Romney are all easily on the content side vs. threatrical.  There has never been a major party candidate as content poor and ignorant of the basics of American government  as Donald Trump.

1. Indeed, lets not forget that in the debate Trump accused an ex-President, who was sitting in the room, of raping a 12 year old girl. 

Sometime you just have to pinch yourself to remind oneself, just how nasty, slanderous and dangerous this campaign has gotten.

2. I think Vladimir Putin has a much better grasp of Russia's constitution than Trump does of his own country's, Putin needs to know that so he can ride roughshod over it in the most effective manner, in contrast I've seen nothing to suggest Trump doesn't believe his word will be law once elected.

Admiral Yi

I believe he accused Hillary of representing the defendant in a case of raping a 12 year old girl.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2016, 11:15:04 AM
I believe he accused Hillary of representing the defendant in a case of raping a 12 year old girl.

Oops, I misheard, probably just assuming all of the abuse was of the basest form.   :blush:

Zanza

Quote from: mongers on October 10, 2016, 11:11:03 AM
2. I think Vladimir Putin has a much better grasp of Russia's constitution than Trump does of his own country's, Putin needs to know that so he can ride roughshod over it in the most effective manner, in contrast I've seen nothing to suggest Trump doesn't believe his word will be law once elected.
I would assume that Vladimir Putin has a much better grasp of America's constitution than Trump.  ;)

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2016, 11:15:04 AM
Bill was the defender in the case.

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on October 10, 2016, 11:11:03 AM

I've never seen any evidence Trump knows what the powers of the presidency are.  That's one of the biggest of Trump's problems:  He could do a lot of damage before the court system even caught up with him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: mongers on October 10, 2016, 11:04:34 AM
If this debate wasn't a hands down win for Hilary, then I'm of the opinion that she's a pretty poor candidate.

I don't know, I mean there are a lot of things she had to worry about that would actually make this debate tricky.

The Minsky Moment

Trump does have some odd views about constitutional authority - while does seem to think that the President has very extensive law enforcement and security authority, those powers apparently pale in comparison to the untrammeled power placed in the hands of the Junior Senator from the State of New York.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

lustindarkness

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 10, 2016, 12:32:10 PM
Trump does have some odd views about constitutional authority - while does seem to think that the President has very extensive law enforcement and security authority, those powers apparently pale in comparison to the untrammeled power placed in the hands of the Junior Senator from the State of New York.

He admits her hands are bigger than his?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi