News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What is your Alma Mater's Motto?

Started by Savonarola, October 05, 2016, 04:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Just curious if anyone went to a school with a really cool motto.  I didn't; my schools' aren't even in Latin ( :().

Michigan Technological University (undergraduate):  Create the Future
Wayne State University (graduate): Industry, Intelligence, Integrity
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

GU's is utraque unum "both into one."  :mellow:

Harvard's is veritas, which I think is the most badass thing about the school.

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Oexmelin

Grandescunt Aucta Labore. Which sounds like 19th century management buzzwords.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

celedhring

In lumine tuo videbimus lumen, which is from Psalms I believe. Bible quotations as motto are boring.

Zanza

wissen.leben - German for "knowledge/life" or "know/live" or "live knowledge"

Postera Crescam Laude - "May I grow in the esteem of future generations"

Per aspera ad astra - "Through adversity to the stars"

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Scipio

"We're The School Up North, you fucking cow college."
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Pedrito

Universa Universis Patavina Libertas - All the Freedom of Padua, for Everyone

Uni Padua was founded by students and teachers who left Uni Bologna in search of more academic freedom.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Valmy

Southwestern University: Non Quis Sed Quid - 'Not who but what' (you know) And if you really know quid you know that is just wrong.

University of Texas: Praesidium Disciplina Civitatis - Knowledge is the guardian of democracy I think. Certainly never had much of that in Texas democracy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."