What is your Alma Mater's Motto?

Started by Savonarola, October 05, 2016, 04:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

The Larch

The one I got my degree form doesn't have a motto (strange, since it's actually quite old, founded in the late XVth century). The one I started my studies at does have one, "Innovadora, pública e de calidade", which sounds more like a corporate motto than an educational one.

grumbler

Some of these replies beg an interesting (to me) question:  do all of the colleges and universities you have graduated from count as alma maters in modern parlance?

I had always been told that one has a single alma mater (one's undergraduate university or college) and that graduate schools were not alma maters.  The fact that many people here are responding with multiple mottoes implies that either my understanding has been incorrect all this time, or that the meaning of alma mater has shifted to include graduate schools.

Thoughts?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Gups

Ora et labora from my school. I had to look it up, even though I'd seen it so many hundreds of times. A surprisingly monkish motto given that the school was founded in 1576.

Oexmelin

Yes, the alma mater was supposed to be the undergraduate institution, which was understood to have nourished you the most. I am guessing the increasing number of postgraduate degrees may have shifted the understanding to all schools one has graduated from. As for this thread, I am guessing people simply wanted to expand the pool of answers in order to compare a variety of mottos. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Agelastus

"Sancte et Sapienter"

Translation being "With Holiness and Wisdom".

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Josquius

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 06, 2016, 07:46:43 AM
Yes, the alma mater was supposed to be the undergraduate institution, which was understood to have nourished you the most. I am guessing the increasing number of postgraduate degrees may have shifted the understanding to all schools one has graduated from. As for this thread, I am guessing people simply wanted to expand the pool of answers in order to compare a variety of mottos. 

I learned a hell of a lot more in my masters than my bachelors.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

The Alma Mater has certainly a more expansive meaning in Spanish. For example in Spanish the term "matriculación" (to enrol in a learning institution) is derived from Mater.

The idea is any place that "feeds" you with knowledge is potentially an Alma Mater. If it has been reserved for your university is because it's seen as the place that has affected you the most, and postgrad is a relatively new phenomenon (as in nowadays people attend grad school way more often than previously).

In my case, certainly, Columbia has meant more to me than my Barcelona undergrad school (which has such a lame motto than I won't even share it).

Brazen

School: "Qui patitur vincit" (Who endures wins)
University: "‎Altiora Petamus" (Let us seek higher things)

Oops, I accidentally summoned my Patronus.

Syt

Quote from: Brazen on October 06, 2016, 09:03:19 AM

Rough neighborhood, eh? :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Quote from: Syt on October 06, 2016, 09:04:01 AM
Quote from: Brazen on October 06, 2016, 09:03:19 AM

Rough neighborhood, eh? :lol:
Actually, yes. It was a grammar school. The other schools used to beat the crap out of us.

celedhring

My high school's motto was "We learn from you", which I always thought wasn't the best possible choice  :lol:

Scipio

Ole Miss's actual motto is Pro scientia et sapientia
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

grumbler

Quote from: Scipio on October 06, 2016, 09:18:46 AM
Ole Miss's actual motto is Pro scientia et sapientia

"Towards evolving intelligence?"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

U of T's is "velut arbor aevo," Latin for "as a tree through the ages."  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius