Which President Are You Most Similar To?

Started by jimmy olsen, October 04, 2016, 06:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HVC on October 04, 2016, 08:15:01 PM
Ulysses S. Grant was raised in southern Ohio in a poor family. He used the Army to escape his origins. He was a quiet, often irascible man. Yet he was a very hard worker, and a diligent taskmaster. He was also a hard drinker and smoked several cigars a day. While he was personally ethical, his associates were embroiled in an embarrassing number of scandals during his time as President. He had a number of strange personality quirks and superstitions. Grant was not refined or worldly, but his performance during the Civil War leaves absolutely no doubt as to the brilliance of his mind.

He also wrote a great memoir.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 04, 2016, 08:38:59 PM
Ulysses S. Grant was raised in southern Ohio in a poor family. He used the Army to escape his origins. He was a quiet, often irascible man. Yet he was a very hard worker, and a diligent taskmaster. He was also a hard drinker and smoked several cigars a day. While he was personally ethical, his associates were embroiled in an embarrassing number of scandals during his time as President. He had a number of strange personality quirks and superstitions. Grant was not refined or worldly, but his performance during the Civil War leaves absolutely no doubt as to the brilliance of his mind.

You mean Mark Twain wrote it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

I got Benjamin Harrison. :mellow:

QuoteBenjamin Harrison was born to an Ohio family of comfortable means. He was descended from a signer of the Declaration of Independence by the same name, and was the grandson of William Henry Harrison. Harrison was famously reserved and even icy. He lacked close friends and demanded much of his contemporaries. However, he was widely respected for his intelligence and general knowledge of the world. He was a remarkably stable man, avoiding rash decisions or emotional swings, even if he was not particularly warm to others. He avoided major scandal throughout his time in office.

I mean when they put it that way I guess I get it, but still...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

LBJ.

Happy I didn't end up with one of the lamers.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on October 04, 2016, 09:48:13 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 04, 2016, 08:38:59 PM

You mean Mark Twain wrote it.

Bullshit

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/02/mark-twain-and-grants-memoirs/253343/
QuoteCompletely baseless. Aside from the consistency with his diction and syntax, much of the manuscript survives, in Grant's hand, and what isn't in his hand is accounted for by letters describing secretaries hired to take dictation. You may know that the Memoirs originated in four articles Grant agreed to write for the Century Magazine, which ran a series on civil war battles told by the generals involved. He had turned down many such offers before, citing laziness, and only agreed after he lost all his money in May 1884, and had to raise funds fast.

In Volume 31 of the Grant Papers, we document how he turned in the first article, on Shiloh, and had to be gently told that it sounded like an official report--the editors came down to his summer house in Long Branch and coaxed him into rewriting it in his own voice, with his own observations. You can see how the article changed after that, and how much better the next one was, and about that time he was diagnosed with cancer and decided to turn the whole thing into a memoir, forgoing the last two articles. I could go on, but you get the gist.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 04, 2016, 10:41:04 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2016, 10:36:43 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2016, 10:31:55 PM

Me to! :hug:

Are you sure you aren't the same person? :unsure:

We have our differences but I was not surprised at all to see my Canadian counterpart get the same result as I did :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2016, 10:52:34 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 04, 2016, 10:41:04 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2016, 10:36:43 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2016, 10:31:55 PM

Me to! :hug:

Are you sure you aren't the same person? :unsure:

We have our differences but I was not surprised at all to see my Canadian counterpart get the same result as I did :P

I dunno - anglophile vs Francophile, Burke vs Robespierre, U of Texas vs U of Manitoba... I think our differences are pretty insurmountable. :(

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2016, 10:58:30 PM
I dunno - anglophile vs Francophile, Burke vs Robespierre, U of Texas vs U of Manitoba... I think our differences are pretty insurmountable. :(

Burke was a revolutionary in his own way -_-

I mean he supported colonists tossing tea in harbors.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2016, 11:01:12 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2016, 10:58:30 PM

Burke was a revolutionary in his own way -_-

I mean he supported colonists tossing tea in harbors.

Actually I gotta say I really want to figure out a way to make it down to Texas (and Mississippi) to try and link up with you and AmScip.  Preferably with my family in tow.  It seems like it could be fun. :)

Although I'm more worried about coming to blows with AmScip over Protestantism vs Orthodoxy, than I am worried about you and me over the French Revolution. :hug:

Tonitrus