News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Which President Are You Most Similar To?

Started by jimmy olsen, October 04, 2016, 06:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Chester A. Arthur  :yeah:

Wait.........who the fuck is Chester A. Arthur  :hmm: ?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 05, 2016, 01:25:40 AM

Wait.........who the fuck is Chester A. Arthur  :hmm: ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_A._Arthur

QuoteChester Alan Arthur (October 5, 1829 – November 18, 1886) was an American attorney and politician who served as the 21st President of the United States (1881–85); he succeeded James A. Garfield upon the latter's assassination. At the outset, Arthur struggled to overcome a slightly negative reputation, which stemmed from his early career in politics as part of New York's Republican political machine. He succeeded by embracing the cause of civil service reform. His advocacy for, and subsequent enforcement of, the Pendleton Civil Service Reform Act was the centerpiece of his administration.

After just half a year as vice president, Arthur found himself in the executive mansion due to the assassination of his predecessor. To the surprise of reformers, Arthur took up the cause of reform, though it had once led to his expulsion from office. He signed the Pendleton Act into law and strongly enforced its provisions. He gained praise for his veto of a Rivers and Harbors Act that would have appropriated federal funds in a manner he thought excessive. He presided over the rebirth of the United States Navy, but was criticized for failing to alleviate the federal budget surplus, which had been accumulating since the end of the Civil War.

Suffering from poor health, Arthur made only a limited effort to secure the Republican Party's nomination in 1884; he retired at the close of his term. Journalist Alexander McClure later wrote, "No man ever entered the Presidency so profoundly and widely distrusted as Chester Alan Arthur, and no one ever retired ... more generally respected, alike by political friend and foe."[3] Although his failing health and political temperament combined to make his administration less active than a modern presidency, he earned praise among contemporaries for his solid performance in office. The New York World summed up Arthur's presidency at his death in 1886: "No duty was neglected in his administration, and no adventurous project alarmed the nation."[4] Mark Twain wrote of him, "t would be hard indeed to better President Arthur's administration."[5] Over the 20th and 21st centuries, however, Arthur's reputation mostly faded among the public.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Richard Hakluyt

Thanks Tim, a lot of youngsters just assume that us old guys know how to use google  ;)

Syt

James A. Garfield. I suppose I should wear a bullet proof vest? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

QuoteJohn Quincy Adams was the son of President John Adams, and thus was never lacking for material comfort or connections. However, much like his father, he was naturally lacking in social charm and was quite withdrawn. He himself admitted that he was overly set in his ways and personality. Yet he was studious and hard working, and even after his Presidency remained involved in public life for many years. Adams was prone to anxiety, depression, and mental instability, and even expressed suicidal ideation on a couple of occasions. He could never shake rumors that he had made a "corrupt bargain" to win the Presidency from Andrew Jackson in 1824.

That doesn't sound very flattering.

Archy

QuoteJames Monroe was born into a family of comfortable means in Virginia. He was smart in a worldly way, but lacked the brilliance of his predecessors in office (Madison, Jefferson, etc.). He made up for this with a warm, agreeable personality and easily won people over to his side. In spite of this, he was not particularly outgoing, but rather exerted himself in a quiet way. Monroe could also be overly sensitive to criticism, even where none was intended. On a few occasions, he interpreted friendly advice from confidants as attacks on his policies. However, he tended to conceal his wounded feelings in such cases.

Europe, stay out of my business!! <_<

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Brazen on October 05, 2016, 04:23:01 AM
QuoteJohn Quincy Adams was the son of President John Adams, and thus was never lacking for material comfort or connections. However, much like his father, he was naturally lacking in social charm and was quite withdrawn. He himself admitted that he was overly set in his ways and personality. Yet he was studious and hard working, and even after his Presidency remained involved in public life for many years. Adams was prone to anxiety, depression, and mental instability, and even expressed suicidal ideation on a couple of occasions. He could never shake rumors that he had made a "corrupt bargain" to win the Presidency from Andrew Jackson in 1824.

He was a good president and an excellent congressmen who was at the forefront of the abolotionist cause while in the house.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: Syt on October 05, 2016, 03:06:02 AM
James A. Garfield. I suppose I should wear a bullet proof vest? :unsure:

To elaborate:

QuoteJames A. Garfield was raised in poverty in rural Ohio after his father died. Yet he overcame this upbringing to become a remarkably lettered man. He was able to write in Latin with one hand and ancient Greek with the other, both at the same time. He was quiet and modest, yet very agreeable. He was the type of man to hug friends when he ran into them, or to touch people's shoulders as he talked. He also had a bit of a neurotic streak, suffering periods of depression. He also saw foreboding visions in his dreams. Strangely, given these traits, he actually was assassinated.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

QuoteWilliam McKinley was born to an Ohio family of modest means. He was almost universally liked as a person, even by his political opponents. He was an agreeable man who always enjoyed a good story. He was free of emotional and psychological issues. He straddled the middle ground between expressiveness and reserve, between rashness and intellectualism. He was moderate in many ways but could seem to lack the aggressive instinct that marks true greatness. When McKinley was shot by his assassin, he pleaded for leniency from the enraged crowd, possibly preventing a vigilante incident.

:huh:

Martinus

Lettow77

John Tyler was born to a planter family in Virginia. He was fairly reserved, yet polite and charming in his social interactions. However, he was only really comfortable around members of the upper-class -- he lacked the life experience to mingle with the common man. Though he was good with social niceties, Tyler was not afraid to inspire disapproval. Thus, he could often seem aloof and lacked for close friends. Both during and after his Presidency, he was a hard worker, turning his attention to his Virginia farm during his later life. Tyler was never known as a big picture, intellectual theorist.

What a terribly flattering comparison, although I don't believe it's at all accurate.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Caliga

Thomas Jefferson.  I like my coffee black, like my women. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on October 05, 2016, 04:23:01 AM

John Quincy Adams was one of the most heroic politicians we ever had.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Wow that is hilarious that Lettow got the traitor President.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 05, 2016, 01:25:40 AM

Garfield's VP whom everybody thought was a worthless and corrupt political operator but actually turned out to be alright. So I guess that means you exceed low expectations?