Who is the most revered person in your country's history?

Started by Syt, September 22, 2016, 03:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

You know it came to me today.

The most revered person in Canadian history is Terry Fox.

I don't think it can even be argued.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Oexmelin

Quote from: Barrister on September 26, 2016, 10:59:16 PM

Who?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Gups

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 27, 2016, 01:04:46 AM

Who?

Terry Fox. He says so right there in his post  :rolleyes:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Gups on September 27, 2016, 08:18:06 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on September 27, 2016, 01:04:46 AM

Who?

Terry Fox. He says so right there in his post  :rolleyes:

I think he was attempting to point out that Terry Fox wasn't (as) well known in Quebec, that reverence for him was mainly an English-Canadian phenomenon. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Oexmelin

Quote from: Malthus on September 27, 2016, 08:52:23 AM
I think he was attempting to point out that Terry Fox wasn't (as) well known in Quebec, that reverence for him was mainly an English-Canadian phenomenon. 

Yep. And thus, perfectly arguable.

That being said, I remember him being promoted / celebrated in the 1980s in Quebec, but it was for a brief moment. I genuinely wonder whether it is a generational thing (I figure BB and I are of similar age), but I imagine Terry Fox's memory is perhaps maintained more actively (textbooks, cultural references, ads, toponyms, etc) in English Canada than it is in Quebec.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Grey Fox

Fox's marathon part in Quebec totally went unnoticed.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.