BLM: Israel guilty of genocide of Palestinians, stop US aid

Started by Martinus, September 26, 2016, 12:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

The rocking motion causes people to piss on the floor. No bathrooms on trains!!!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 26, 2016, 06:18:42 AM
It's not. It's just that the idea of a political group of African-Americans haunts the nightmares of white supremacists.

Is it possible to be critical of the BLM without being a white supremacist?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on September 26, 2016, 09:11:14 AM
I think it's simpler than that. If you feel like you're a repressed minority then you'd feel some sympathy for another repressed minority.

Most empires in world history have thrived on this simply not being true.

Well actually I don't know if that was true but the Roman and British Empires did by design.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

A suppressed minority somewhere else. A suppressed minority at home makes you feel better. "At least I'm better than *blank*" is common enough.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Malthus

I think it's simpler than that. If you feel like you're a repressed minority then you'd feel some sympathy for another repressed minority.

The issue is the particularity of the choice of "repressed minority" to fell sympathy with. Seems strangely coincidental that it just happens to be the same sympathies that already exist as well-organized movements.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on September 26, 2016, 09:28:39 AM

The issue is the particularity of the choice of "repressed minority" to fell sympathy with. Seems strangely coincidental that it just happens to be the same sympathies that already exist as well-organized movements.  :lol:

Yeah, it is just folding in strands of leftist thought that already existed ahead of the movement.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2016, 09:21:26 AM
Quote from: HVC on September 26, 2016, 09:19:43 AM
I'm more than willing to admit I'm wrong, but it just seems to make sense to me. They can see parallels in wrongful deaths (as seen by BLM) being perpetrated by a western governing body and have a sense of similarity of the situation.

As for the LBGT community it seems to have grown very amorphous. Don't know why that is but it seems odd as many of the issues don't seem to overlap well. Things like trains bathroom rights seem to cause a lot of dissension. I guess it made sense to have as large a lobby group as possible in the start to effect more change, but I'm just grasping at straws with that.

For what it's worth, I think everybody should have a right to use bathrooms on trains. :P

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Not many other western nations have the same dynamic as Israel. Or at least as well documented and publicized. Are there many black liberal movements involved within protesting Israel? Or maybe I'm making a mistake of segregating black political movements from the overall liberal movements.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2016, 09:21:26 AM
Quote from: HVC on September 26, 2016, 09:19:43 AM
I'm more than willing to admit I'm wrong, but it just seems to make sense to me. They can see parallels in wrongful deaths (as seen by BLM) being perpetrated by a western governing body and have a sense of similarity of the situation.

As for the LBGT community it seems to have grown very amorphous. Don't know why that is but it seems odd as many of the issues don't seem to overlap well. Things like trains bathroom rights seem to cause a lot of dissension. I guess it made sense to have as large a lobby group as possible in the start to effect more change, but I'm just grasping at straws with that.

For what it's worth, I think everybody should have a right to use bathrooms on trains. :P

:D
Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2016, 09:20:30 AM
Yeah I think Malthus and garbon are closer to truth than HVC. In fact the "crossectionality" is one of the attempts by activists to create a sort of big tent where there is none.

I've never seen it that way. I've always thought it was something like how there once was a tent of feminism but when black feminists finally got a voice they said that the issues of 'feminism' were really just issues of 'white feminism.' (for ex. black women weren't worried about getting work, they'd long been breadwinners for their families) It was important to see how other things like race intersected with women's issues to understand what was being addressed.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on September 26, 2016, 09:33:26 AM

Not many other western nations have the same dynamic as Israel. Or at least as well documented and publicized. Are there many black liberal movements involved within protesting Israel? Or maybe I'm making a mistake of segregating black political movements from the overall liberal movements.

The latter.

In some "progressive" circles, criticism of Israel is practically a badge of membership.

Therefore, it is not a surprise that activist groups apparently devoted to all sorts of completely different causes mirror this.

The go-to example is gay activist groups. They are sometime rabidly anti-Israeli and pro-Palestinian, which makes literally odd bedfellows, given the different approach to gay rights actually available in Israel versus Palestine (many gay Palestinians are killed by fellow Palestinians, while Tel Aviv is a bit of a gay centre).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2016, 09:13:29 AM

I don't see why that's true. It is the mistake that keeps LGBT together these days even though T doesn't really seem to fit in same paradigm.

It certainly fits better than the B part.  :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 26, 2016, 03:07:23 AM
Is being more Jewish than CDM your new shtick?  :P

Oy gevalt!   :lol:

Would it make any difference than Rand Paul supports ending US aid to Israel, too? As do right-wing nutters?  As well as the bulldozer grease industry?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 26, 2016, 09:59:14 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2016, 09:13:29 AM

I don't see why that's true. It is the mistake that keeps LGBT together these days even though T doesn't really seem to fit in same paradigm.

It certainly fits better than the B part.  :P

Nah. B is often a transitional stage to gaytown. T has little to do with that / by its very nature sort of assumes more strict gender roles (if one can intrinsically feel like the wrong gender then there is something more to gender than just social norms) than the loose conception of gender roles that G and L strive for.

The Minsky Moment

That's it.  No more funding for the Bureau of Land Management.  Let those freaky ranchers run wild.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2016, 02:57:34 AM
supremacist 

I do not think that word means what you think it means

QuoteIn fact the only country I can think of with similar law-enshrined discriminatory treatment based on race is apartheid South Africa.

And post-apartheid South Africa.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson