BLM: Israel guilty of genocide of Palestinians, stop US aid

Started by Martinus, September 26, 2016, 12:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on September 26, 2016, 05:36:36 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2016, 02:57:34 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 26, 2016, 02:52:21 AM
Black lives matter is a racial supremacist group?

Their demands include free college education and minimum guaranteed income (not wage!) for all black people, special subsidies for businesses owned by blacks, special funding for majority-black universities, etc. That's pretty racist/racial supremacist to me. In fact the only country I can think of with similar law-enshrined discriminatory treatment based on race is apartheid South Africa.
....All I've seen from them is stop shooting black people for no reason.
Didn't even realise it was a centralised political party.

They have announced a platform. You could know that if you read the article I posted in the first post.  :huh:

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2016, 08:00:15 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2016, 02:57:34 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 26, 2016, 02:52:21 AM
Black lives matter is a racial supremacist group?

Their demands include free college education and minimum guaranteed income (not wage!) for all black people, special subsidies for businesses owned by blacks, special funding for majority-black universities, etc. That's pretty racist/racial supremacist to me. In fact the only country I can think of with similar law-enshrined discriminatory treatment based on race is apartheid South Africa.

They have announced a platform. You could know that if you read the article I posted in the first post.  :huh:

Can't.  Washington Post has a limit on the number of articles you can read each month.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 26, 2016, 08:22:35 AM

Can't.  Washington Post has a limit on the number of articles you can read each month.

Stupid newspapers.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on September 26, 2016, 08:34:17 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 26, 2016, 08:22:35 AM

Stupid newspapers.

I blame fat cat money grubbing journalists. With their high pay, excellent job security, and glamorous lifestyles, why can't they give the poor readers a break once in a while?

[ :D ]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 26, 2016, 06:18:42 AM
It's not. It's just that the idea of a political group of African-Americans haunts the nightmares of white supremacists.

They have a website and have a posted platform. I have criticized it as being very vague, broad, and militant before which I thought was a shame.

I would prefer they focus on the police brutality issue, because I seriously doubt the platform they posted would even be that appealing to most black people.

Sadly this issue seems to be entering the culture war battlefield where things get meme'd and feces gets thrown but gridlock prevails. I would have hoped poorly trained police killing civilians would have raised almost universal condemnation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 26, 2016, 08:41:53 AM
I blame lawyers. Because, why not?

You could make that "Jew lawyers", and get this thread more or less right back on topic.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Well call me crazy but shooting citizens even for reasons is not acceptable. Execution of criminals is supposed to be left up to the courts. I mean I understand that sometimes this has to happen but it seems obvious that some pretty flimsy justifications are being used.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 26, 2016, 08:43:23 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on September 26, 2016, 06:18:42 AM
It's not. It's just that the idea of a political group of African-Americans haunts the nightmares of white supremacists.

They have a website and have a posted platform. I have criticized it as being very vague, broad, and militant before which I thought was a shame.

I would prefer they focus on the police brutality issue, because I seriously doubt the platform they posted would even be that appealing to most black people.

Sadly this issue seems to be entering the culture war battlefield where things get meme'd and feces gets thrown but gridlock prevails. I would have hoped poorly trained police killing civilians would have raised almost universal condemnation.

To get serious for a minute, this.

I suspect that the process goes something like this:

- a new cause is triggered by events. That cause creates a lot of justified anger and a great desire for change.

- the people drawn into this new cause initially have, in many cases, no experience whatsoever at organizing, articulating, publicizing etc. - all necessities of sustaining a cause over ythe long term.

- the new cause is joined by a bunch of folks who have this experience, because of their experience with other protest movements.

- these folks end up doing all of the tasks - like organizing and publicity. They may or may not actually speak for the "movement", which is pretty amorphous, but they are the only ones doing these things, so that's how it ends up.

- these folks inevitably end up plugging the other movements they have previously championed alongside the new goals of this new movement. In part this is merely mouthing the necessary shibboleths of their particular political orientation, and in part seeing the members of the new movement as welcome recruits for their ranks ready to be enlisted.

- that's why BLM, which started with outrage over police shootings of Blacks, end up so concerned with issues relating to a tiny middle eastern country thousands of miles away.

HVC

I think it's simpler than that. If you feel like you're a repressed minority then you'd feel some sympathy for another repressed minority.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on September 26, 2016, 09:11:14 AM
I think it's simpler than that. If you feel like you're a repressed minority then you'd feel some sympathy for another repressed minority.

I don't see why that's true. It is the mistake that keeps LGBT together these days even though T doesn't really seem to fit in same paradigm.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

I'm more than willing to admit I'm wrong, but it just seems to make sense to me. They can see parallels in wrongful deaths (as seen by BLM) being perpetrated by a western governing body and have a sense of similarity of the situation.

As for the LBGT community it seems to have grown very amorphous. Don't know why that is but it seems odd as many of the issues don't seem to overlap well. Things like trains bathroom rights seem to cause a lot of dissension. I guess it made sense to have as large a lobby group as possible in the start to effect more change, but I'm just grasping at straws with that.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

Yeah I think Malthus and garbon are closer to truth than HVC. In fact the "crossectionality" is one of the attempts by activists to create a sort of big tent where there is none.

Martinus

Quote from: HVC on September 26, 2016, 09:19:43 AM
I'm more than willing to admit I'm wrong, but it just seems to make sense to me. They can see parallels in wrongful deaths (as seen by BLM) being perpetrated by a western governing body and have a sense of similarity of the situation.

As for the LBGT community it seems to have grown very amorphous. Don't know why that is but it seems odd as many of the issues don't seem to overlap well. Things like trains bathroom rights seem to cause a lot of dissension. I guess it made sense to have as large a lobby group as possible in the start to effect more change, but I'm just grasping at straws with that.

For what it's worth, I think everybody should have a right to use bathrooms on trains. :P