News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Will the Left Survive the Millennials?

Started by Hamilcar, September 23, 2016, 01:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Legbiter on September 26, 2016, 05:26:32 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 26, 2016, 05:07:59 PMFor what it's worth, you and Hami seem to be some of the primary tut-tutters of languish. Barely a day goes by without one of you posting something you think tut-tut worthy or tut-tutting in an existing thread.

:console:

It's alright. Your mopey whining gives people something to talk about :)

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on September 26, 2016, 05:42:55 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on September 26, 2016, 05:26:32 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 26, 2016, 05:07:59 PMFor what it's worth, you and Hami seem to be some of the primary tut-tutters of languish. Barely a day goes by without one of you posting something you think tut-tut worthy or tut-tutting in an existing thread.

:console:

It's alright. Your mopey whining gives people something to talk about :)

Thought it's real thin gruel; doesn't exactly nourish the soul.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on September 26, 2016, 05:30:11 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2016, 05:25:28 PM
I love that fahdiz posted this on Facebook and Buddha started to argue with him that cultural appropriation is a real problem that needs to be combated. :bleeding:

I'd like to say hello to Fahdiz and Buddha, but I ain't going onto facebook.

Marty do me a favour, please, and say hello on my behalf next time you fellows 'speak'.  :)

Fahdiz will pop by when the Cubs win the World Series.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

The problem with cultural appropriation is that there isn't enough.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 27, 2016, 10:14:47 AM

Culture? Or appropriation?

CountDeMoney

I love that fahdiz posted this on Facebook and Buddha started to argue with him that cultural appropriation is a real problem that needs to be combated. :bleeding:

Oh, they can handle Facebook but can't handle here?  Fling pooh at them for me, please.

Valmy

Buddha is a little touchy on Facebook. At one point she posted some really inflammatory stuff calling the Canadian Conservatives fascist monsters or whatever and some Languish member, think it was a Scandi, replied she was being unfair. She didn't take it well. I unfollowed after that. God bless her but if you are going to accuse everybody of being evil you at least should expect somebody to say 'hey maybe you are going too far there Buddha'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on September 27, 2016, 11:52:20 AM
Buddha is a little touchy on Facebook. At one point she posted some really inflammatory stuff calling the Canadian Conservatives fascist monsters or whatever and some Languish member, think it was a Scandi, replied she was being unfair. She didn't take it well. I unfollowed after that. God bless her but if you are going to accuse everybody of being evil you at least should expect somebody to say 'hey maybe you are going too far there Buddha'.

She's been pretty clear, actually - she uses her Facebook page to vent. She's not looking for arguments or debates. Her FB page is not a message board for people to get their debating jollies. If you don't like what she posts, don't read her page - which you did, so good on you :)

CdM, the thing FB has over a place like languish is that everyone can moderate what they see. On languish, when someone deliberately trolls her she has to rely on the mods to step in, which we don't. On FB, she can block whoever she doesn't want to deal with. So yeah, FB is a fair bit better if you want a measure of control over the type and timing of BS you deal with.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 27, 2016, 11:29:02 AM

Oh, they can handle Facebook but can't handle here?  Fling pooh at them for me, please.

I did. :)
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 27, 2016, 01:14:54 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 27, 2016, 11:19:01 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 27, 2016, 10:14:47 AM

Culture? Or appropriation?

Both

Come this time next year, we're going to have so much culture and appropriation that you're going to be so sick and tired of culture and appropriation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

I do think that "cultural appropriation" is one of the most foolish concerns ever dreamed up. What is the hoped-for outcome?

The notion appears to be that those historically with "power" not "appropriate" the cultures of others (the reverse is apparently okay).

Assume people actually did this, as they are allegedly supposed to. What's the outcome? It looks suspiciously like what the extreme right would like - those in "power" (presumably, Western Whites) maintain and practice "their" culture free of "contamination" by "others", while those "others" gradually adopt (or "appropriate") elements of the culture of the powerful. 

Why is this a good thing?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

I never got the hysteria over this to be frank. The history of human culture is one of constant appropriation, and we are all richer for that. If the complain is that such appropriation is somehow shallow and thus disrespectful, then well, welcome to 90% of pop culture.  :hmm:

Valmy

Yeah I can understand we don't want the outright stealing of shit, but then we have ridiculously broad and eternal copyright laws for that.

But otherwise this seems weirdly similar to white supremacists outlawing jazz music. I won't say which ones did that, but you can probably guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."